Railtec Transfers

Metr0Land

I'd like to echo the praise for Railtec's excellent service. I ordered a couple of sets of transfers yesterday morning. I received a confirmation email late afternoon and the package arrived about 10.30 this morning. That is outstanding service. Thank you Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive been checking in on Railtec for several months, but each time I look the rub on 4mm transfers seem to be out of stock.

This range doesn't seem to grow either.

is there a technique or special timing i’m missing ?

otherwise i’m a happy dozen plus times customer.

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive been checking in on Railtec for several months, but each time I look the rub on 4mm transfers seem to be out of stock.

This range doesn't seem to grow either.

is there a technique or special timing i’m missing ?

otherwise i’m a happy dozen plus times customer.

Hi there, yes unfortunately they've been out for a while but they will return. If you haven't done so already then if you click on the Notify Me link on a product that is out of stock and pop in your email address, then it'll automatically email you with a link once it does return. Frustratingly, making these requires me to block off several solid hours at a time, as the process is as much of a black art as trying to remotely manoeuvre a delinquent potato through the rush-hour North Circular with a ZX Spectrum. The range will also grow.

Meanwhile resource has been slammed refining both conventional 2d and 3d techniques, making the print the best it's ever been and several noticeable notches beyond where it was even after upgrading tech some years ago, as well as the joys of navigating VAT delicacies and rolling up the sleeves to re-write the shopping cart code on the web site. Oh, and still releasing a ton of new product! I genuinely don't think anyone is crazy enough to go to the excruciating lengths to get the variations in typefaces and angles of subtle digits on a single data panel designed per the real thing that maybe only 0.1% of modellers might notice (though it looks amazing in 7mm), and that's just the tip of the iceberg :)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, railtec-models said:

Hi there, yes unfortunately they've been out for a while but they will return. If you haven't done so already then if you click on the Notify Me link on a product that is out of stock and pop in your email address, then it'll automatically email you with a link once it does return. Frustratingly, making these requires me to block off several solid hours at a time, as the process is as much of a black art as trying to remotely manoeuvre a delinquent potato through the rush-hour North Circular with a ZX Spectrum. The range will also grow.

Meanwhile resource has been slammed refining both conventional 2d and 3d techniques, making the print the best it's ever been and several noticeable notches beyond where it was even after upgrading tech some years ago, as well as the joys of navigating VAT delicacies and rolling up the sleeves to re-write the shopping cart code on the web site. Oh, and still releasing a ton of new product! I genuinely don't think anyone is crazy enough to go to the excruciating lengths to get the variations in typefaces and angles of subtle digits on a single data panel designed per the real thing that maybe only 0.1% of modellers might notice (though it looks amazing in 7mm), and that's just the tip of the iceberg :)

Pah, that’s nothing , try getting a feral parsnip round the M25 with a Commodore 64.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, railtec-models said:

Thanks, I am on the notify me list.

i’m only hunting them down, as ultimately they are imho they are the best.

if, when you have time, you could add some modern typeface (DB etc) as well as standard size BR black numbers it would be great !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Pah, that’s nothing , try getting a feral parsnip round the M25 with a Commodore 64.

There are some very strange people on this site...

I get confused trying to order Railtec transfers.  Confusing The Johnster is not a particularly challenging activity; he's mostly half way there already and can't blame it all on his encroaching dotage, he's always been confusable.  I need some GW type brass waterslide number plates but don't see where in the ordering procedure is the method by which you specify the loco number and shed code.  Is it after you have checked out?  Last time Steve had to email me to sort this out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I get confused trying to order Railtec transfers.  Confusing The Johnster is not a particularly challenging activity; he's mostly half way there already and can't blame it all on his encroaching dotage, he's always been confusable.  I need some GW type brass waterslide number plates but don't see where in the ordering procedure is the method by which you specify the loco number and shed code.  Is it after you have checked out?  Last time Steve had to email me to sort this out.

Hi Pretty certain that is how it works for when I was after a specific number pack . Steve was quick of the mark  with the email and as it says can be less than 14 days , but as he is only working an 8 day week ! then it is a pleasure when they arrive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

It's ok - you're not going mad. On every customisable product page (i.e. complete steam loco where you can have any number / 3d shed code you like etc) it should say in bold red letters at the top of the page that I'll email you once the order has been placed to ask a bunch of specific questions so you get exactly what you need. I test the web code and give it a good kicking as far as I possibly can but If that bold red text doesn't display  on your browser (or specific version of browser) then let me know. Here's an example of a customisable item:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2772

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

A quick question for Steve...

Any chance of you doing the Grainflow wagon sheet in 4mm (currently only available in 7mm)?

Dave

PS Thanks for the great service over the past few years by the way.

Hi

Plus N / 2mm, please

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2021 at 15:26, The Johnster said:

No comment...

On 07/02/2021 at 15:26, The Johnster said:

For what it’s worth, I’ve done just that today.  Put the order in on the site (also including some custom shedplates and destination blinds), Steve emailed within an hour of the order to get the details.  

Steve - if you’re reading this and trying to work out what on earth I’m modelling, there is a plan (honest!)

Owain

12 hours ago, Waverley West said:

A quick question for Steve...

Any chance of you doing the Grainflow wagon sheet in 4mm (currently only available in 7mm)?

Dave

PS Thanks for the great service over the past few years by the way.

Hi Dave & @PaulCheffus, let me take a look. I'm sure I should be able to come up with something.

Just to give the wider audience a bit of context about upscaling / downscaling existing packs: unfortunately it often isn't a simple and straightforward case of resizing existing artwork and then hitting print, although I can fully appreciate that's how it might appear. It's not uncommon that tweaks have to be made in order to get things looking right to the eye in a smaller or larger scale, and in some cases it can involve a surprising amount of time spent revisiting the drawing board. Sometimes it can be tweaks to the artwork and sometimes hacks need to be made to the intermediary software. At least to get it to a standard that I'd be happy to receive myself armed with a magnifying glass. It's amazing how time can just vanish trying to nail a single piece of detail.

I know there have been quite a few requests to release existing packs in other scales, and I will get to them, but thought it wise to shout out the above just to help promote awareness and understanding.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Hi @railtec-models

Sorry another question, the pack that EmporiaSub has mentoned: https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4340 , is it availiable in 4mm? if not (cant seem to find it on the website) would you be able to do this pack in 4mm scale as well please? (when you get the time) Thanks in advance

NL

Hi

If you look to the right of the image in the link you posted you will see the link to the 4mm version.

E2218A4F-131D-4FFF-99EE-4A3F009C3EB3.png.23917cd4a6d5ec3526a8c146b446617c.png

Cheers

Paul

42 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

If you look to the right of the image in the link you posted you will see the link to the 4mm version.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

It is, but thats just the warning Trinalges, the sheet doesnt come with the "class 205/ 207...etc" markings and the depot codes as well which is what im after, so basically a 4mm version of the sheet 3008 for my class 207

NL

1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Cheers

Paul

@NickL2008 This 4mm customisable offering should get you what you need:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2251

Choice of set number, side numbers (prefixes & colours made to suit based on livery and era), depot codes, and you get the corresponding TOPS class and code based on the EMU selected.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

More goodies arrived from Railtec today, including some custom destination blinds and these absolutely stunnng custom GWR loco plates and custom shed plates.  I hadn’t seen these 3D transfers in the flesh before, the photo definitely doesn’t do them justice.  With a turnaround of 8 days for a custom order, what can I say?  Further superb service Steve, long may it continue!

C84BD06D-0FE4-4E63-9DD1-D4C8A2254991.jpeg.f8424490623e0529ff6c18e453bd7e14.jpeg

Owain

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2021 at 19:31, Firecracker said:

I hadn’t seen these 3D transfers in the flesh before

Owain

Can I ask a favour please? Could you measure the smokebox number plate - I've been toying with trying these but they would need to fit the existing dummy plate

Ta!

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2021 at 19:49, Hal Nail said:

Can I ask a favour please? Could you measure the smokebox number plate - I've been toying with trying these but they would need to fit the existing dummy plate

Ta!

No bother, sorry for the delay.  Text is 1.7mm tall, plate overall is 2.1mm tall by 6.8mm long.

Edit - here they are applied, along with one of the custom shedplates.  Application was the usual effortless effort, only thing I did was trim the moulded rivets off the original before the transfer went over the top.

86A52683-1690-47EA-A578-6A6C6BE7CE14.jpeg.388698036803f15564cf9129e00021ef.jpeg

Owain

Edited by Firecracker

• RMweb Gold

First use of Railtec’s 3D nameplates, along with the rest of the lack for 37403.  Really like the preset numbers (particularly on a lock that needs two sets per side plus end numbers).  The BR crests were repainted by hand on top of the transfer (off model) to get the very faded look of the prototype in 1998 (while one side is missing the depot plaque as per the prototype.   It still needs glazing, varnish and some minor paint (door kick steps and the outline of the missing depot plaque).  Nice to finally replace my original 403 from the early 2000s.

4A0481F8-0B5F-4BFC-A274-F92DE3C77CE4.jpeg.3b661ea1b7351def0090daa42d996add.jpeg9FA4F552-BAD2-49F9-87DE-08F7A50ADF0A.jpeg.63d39ec13257349855b9d17c8357b22e.jpeg

The delivery also includes transfers for my Class 67 respray, the instructions made it clear not to use Microsol products (which would have been my natural instinct), instead adding a drop of pva to the water.  Turned out nicely, (this one also needs a couple of paint repairs, its final varnish, handrails and details adding to the ends.F8EC6CDF-E24A-40EB-9998-2BB89E4C036F.jpeg.5d1d72e1bfcc8bdeae0039aeb3438bd4.jpeg45397AC2-8FE5-4F4C-858A-80BA8D5060B5.jpeg.1a89200198bc7d1fafefb762b25e6a3c.jpeg

very happy with the rapid turnaround of a custom order.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've just had my first delivery and dispite some being custom packs they have been delivered unbelievably fast with regular email updates (shame certain box shifters haven't got such good customer service) they look good as well and will make some projects a lot easier so another big thanks from me

I understand that custom artwork to be printed on transfers should be in vector format, but surely that doesn't apply to pictorial liveries? The photograph of a steam locomotive on sheet 4mm-47826-1 looks like it would be essentially impossible to create as a vector image so how should artwork of this nature be prepared before approaching Railtec (or a rival transfer supplier)?