Bachmann 009 Skarloey Railway range

PaulRhB

Surely Bachmann are missing a trick here? If they made more accurate models of the prototypes they could sell some in TTTEAF guise and some as scale models ( like Hornby did with some). Or are they obliged by some sort of contract to produce these charichatures? (sp). See how much work Mike Trice is having to do to turn Emily into a GN single, when that is obviously what Emily is based on.

Ed

Edited by edcayton

Surely Bachmann are missing a trick here? If they made more accurate models of the prototypes they could sell some in TTTEAF guise and some as scale models ( like Hornby did with some). Or are they obliged by some sort of contract to produce these charichatures? (sp). See how much work Mike Trice is having to do to turn Emily into a GN single, when that is obviously what Emily is based on.

Ed

They are toys not scale models .

Ed

The problem lies with the product having to be faithful to the licence holders requirements, and not model specifications.  You might be interested to see Simon Kohler's blog in the Hornby section which details just how Hornby struggled to meet the stringent demands of the, then, licence holder.

However I've always thought that a Stirling Single must be a no-brainer at some stage for a Locomotion / NRM exclusive.

• RMweb Gold

The HO Thomas range are all pretty much OO in size so I expect the Ho9 one to follow for the figure sizing ;)

Their Skarloey is very close to the real Talyllyn so hopefully if it's crisp enough it will be an easy detailing project with a new door and some handrails. It's certainly a boon to the rtr 009 market as it will be a ripe subject for converting even if it's not a scale Talyllyn as many 009 layouts are freelance.

If you look at the rest of the list of items though, "SQUARE WATER TOWER (45243)" could possibly be the water tower at Dolgoch. And even if Skarloey isn't a detainled 009 model it will be useful for it's chassis, but I still think it's a less detailed version of an 009 model yet to be annouced on March 2nd along with the rest of the 2015/16 range.

Announcement alluded to above suggests it is HO9   not OO9

Talyllyn/Skarloey is a pretty narrow loco with outside cylinders and they'd struggle to get it on 9mm track in H0.

The 'Thomas' coaches and several of the wagons are basically old Mainline models (LMS p.I coaches, cattle wagon, open, etc.) anyway.

• RMweb Gold

HOe is technically the European designation and HO9 also used in the past so either valid really. If they follow the US favoured nomenclature it is HOn30 but as it's a British loco who knows what convention it fits ;) (mind you it should be HOn27 for Skarloey on 7.9mm :) )

• Like 1

I noticed in the link in the OP the announcement of Duck. I wonder if that will look like a 64xx? Bachmann of course has other Pannier tooling they could re-purpose, so that's not necessarily the answer.

The Skarloey announcement is pretty exciting for people on the Bachmann forum. This will be interesting to watch.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Ruddy marvelous always thought 009 Thomas would be nothing but a pipe dream I look forward to seeing how these turn out, certainly got potential and the red coaches in the HO range they've announced also look like they could be useful for a light railway.

Also if this is what Bachmann has on the cards over the pond who's to say that the chassis and  body won't be used over here in the upcoming 2015 announcemets, skarloey might be under license but doesn't mean we can't have a Talyllyn.

Edited by Boco_D1

• RMweb Premium

Quite a lot of interesting items in that catalogue. Pity is that Bachmann do not hold the UK licence for Thomas the Tank Engine and can't legitimately sell them over here. I have looked at some of the items on the USA E-bay, prices are quite cheap but quite often the postage is often as much as twice the price of the model or even more.

Interesting that recommended radius curves are 11.25in, when the Peco track is 9in, and Bachmann N gauge are happy to run round that. I would not worry about getting hold of items in UK as there are a few people importing other Thomas items . Wonder if they are developing a new chassis or have hooked up with one of the Japanese N gauge manufacturers .If it is a new chassis then that alone would be extremely popular. The wagons do look like Peco ones, which is interesting in itself, and if it is successful I can't see Bachmann only producing a couple of items. They may have used a lot of ex Mainline coaches and wagons before but they also created brand new models.

• 3 weeks later...

Will it did arouse my interest. I would very tempted if they also later did their own version of Rheneas/Dolgoch. They might end up being a bit over-scale, but they will still make a good source of parts to tinker with! I can see their chassis being used on a number of body kit conversions.

Well Bachmann have posted images of the vans which look remarkably like the Peco ones ;)

Waiting confirmation from Peco on that one but they don't seem upset so looks likely it's a tie in.

I noticed  this  I put  a post in  the  Bachmann thread, I reckon  that  they  are Identical to th e L&B stock  Has there  a  deal  been  struck  with  Peco?  will be  interesting  to  see if  the  New  Peco 00-9  flats  turn  up in  the  USA  as  well??!!

• RMweb Gold

Basically yes they are the Peco product despite what was said at Modelrail Scotland. That's been confirmed by their designer on NGRM when he said don't believe everything you're told. Certainly a good return for Peco on their gamble leading the rtr 009 idea :)