Bachmann 009 Skarloey Railway range

PaulRhB

Does anyone know if anywhere in the UK has these in stock at the moment? Tootally Thomas and The Diesel Works are the two that I know of but they are both out of stock. Tootally Thomas claims to have more coming in which should have arrived by now. I can't get through to either by phone or email. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Daniel

• RMweb Gold

Steve at Tootally is posting on NGRM and says they are on the way due in next few days , drop him an email through his site :)

Quote of part of his post

" FYI I have upped my order to 60 due to phenomenal demand . They arrived at my suppliers from Bachmann today so hopefully should be looking at early next week for delivery to me . Thanks for being patient but it has taken my supplier ( one of the major wholesalers in the US ) completely by surprise"

Edited by PaulRhB

A club member provided this review of 'Skarloey' recently.

http://srmg.org.uk/news-blog/2015/12/23/review-Bachmann-skarloey

Tony

I asked a question on that review and got an answer. However, I couldn't then reply to say thank you.

On the back of that review and being impatient I have ordered one from Bachmann USA via an address in France. It comes to the same I paid for my Minitrains Eigiau lookalike from the FR shop so I'm happy enough with that. And I'm on the waiting list at Tootally Thomas as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think that might be an old link, try this one http://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/

I don't think the Skarloey conversion set has been released yet, they are still working on it, as far as I know.

HTH

Moxy

Both get you to the same place.​

http://cwrailways.com

has the replacement smokebox door.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Both get you to the same place.​

http://cwrailways.com

has the replacement smokebox door.

That's interesting, I tried the link you gave, it threw up a silly error message on my computer saying, 'Virgin media cannot find this link.'  Very strange.  If both links work and end up at the same place, then I'll blame Virgin media!

I've found the original announcement on NGRM Online, they are aiming for a release date of 20th February at Narrow Gauge South West.

Thanks

Moxy

Basically, until they change their licensing agreement, the UK won't be seeing Skarloey anytime soon! (Unless Hornby or Bachmann Europe can make one...)

P.S. In case it's of any interest, I visited the Bachmann USA website and attempted to order Skarloey and before the checkout procedure it came up with an error message saying that the product can't be shipped due to licensing agreements.

Edited by TiggCJ

As far as i understand the liscencing situation, Bachmann are prohibited from making any Thomas items in the tabletop scales (N, TT, OO, HO, and even O)for the european market, so Bachmann Europe would be unable to do anything themselves. I wouldnt hold your breath for Hornby 009 at any point either...

Just had a nice email correspondence with the gentleman who runs tootally thomas - his current batch have sold out, but he is going to be ordering some more.

Edited by Edge

Basically, until they change their licensing agreement, the UK won't be seeing Skarloey anytime soon! (Unless Hornby or Bachmann Europe can make one...)

P.S. In case it's of any interest, I visited the Bachmann USA website and attempted to order Skarloey and before the checkout procedure it came up with an error message saying that the product can't be shipped due to licensing agreements.

Response from Bachmann

Bachmann in the UK have tried on numerous occasions to acquire the necessary licenses to distribute the Bachmann USA OO/HO range of “Thomas & Friends” products but at the present time the license to manufacture and distribute Thomas model railway items within the UK and the Republic of Ireland (ROI) is exclusive to Hornby Hobbies Ltd. We are only licensed to distribute the G Scale (Large Scale in the USA) “Thomas & Friends “products and have done so for several years.

The range has been available in many countries since it was introduced. It is distributed in Europe under license by our German colleagues and is available for distribution to retailers throughout Europe but not within the UK or ROI. Hence the reason why Bachmann USA are unable to ship to the UK or ROI addresses.

Bachmann in the UK are not allowed to promote, repair or service any items produced in the Bachmann USA “Thomas & Friends” HO/OO range. They are not covered by warranty as they are not licensed for sale in the UK or ROI.

Licensing of products is a complex issue and over the years we have endeavoured to explain it on many occasions why we are unable to distribute these products within the UK and ROI. I trust this will further clarify the position.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager
Bachmann Europe Plc

I asked a question on that review and got an answer. However, I couldn't then reply to say thank you.

On the back of that review and being impatient I have ordered one from Bachmann USA via an address in France. It comes to the same I paid for my Minitrains Eigiau lookalike from the FR shop so I'm happy enough with that. And I'm on the waiting list at Tootally Thomas as well.

Apologies - I have only just seen your post. I will thank the author for you tomorrow.

Best wishes

Tony

• Like 1

Just to clarify, CW Railways are not the same as Narrow Planet. CW has the replacement smokebox door for the Skarloey engine.

CW Railways actually make both the NP one and their own as they are the originators and producers of the design

• RMweb Gold

CW Railways actually make both the NP one and their own as they are the originators and producers of the design

Perhaps I should have said the websites are different and the door is on the CW site.

• RMweb Premium

The range has been available in many countries since it was introduced. It is distributed in Europe under license by our German colleagues and is available for distribution to retailers throughout Europe but not within the UK or ROI. Hence the reason why Bachmann USA are unable to ship to the UK or ROI addresses.

So if I lived in Germany, France or elsewhere on mainland Europe I can buy a Skarloey and have it repaired under warranty it it went wrong? Where are European anti-competition laws when you need them.... :scratchhead:

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Bachmann agreed with their license for the G scale not to sell it here but Hornby don't hold a license for the rest of Europe. It's not stopping at least two UK shops I've linked to earlier selling it with a warranty so why worry. It's available just not through the Bachmann supply chain.

There's nothing new about licensing products specifically in countries, loads of Disney products are sold in the same way. It used to be difficult to get them, now there's lots of online options just not official stockists whose supply is governed by the license.

It's not stopping at least two UK shops I've linked to earlier selling it with a warranty so why worry.

Not sure that's quite true as it was quite clear with the one I bought in the UK from one of those shops that there was no warranty with it. That didn't bother me but it might some people?

• RMweb Premium

It is a warranty from the retailer not the manufacturer - over on NGRM, one of the mail order firms stocking this loco replaced one that was returned with a minor problem (I think the whistle had broken off?) and then sold the faulty one to recover most of his loss. Bachmann weren't involved in this at all but it could still be called a warranty.