North Cranford

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I have made a start on my 2271.  This was found during a search for replacement chassis for the 97xxs and the Wills/Ks 94xx.  It's DCC already - one of the latest versions of this model only available in a set.    I know it's not super correct, but it will do when it's had some grot applied, and the correct number.  This one will be one of the ones still in loyal service in the late 1940s  in the Far East of the Great Western Empire.

IMG_1711.JPG.5a094ad4c6a0af6aec0c2c830d0c4c81.JPG

It has had matt black paint applied to the footplate, wheels and rods and immediately looks much better.  The bunker has real coal.  To follow are crew, a Modelmasters brass number plate, ( and beam  number change).  I think I may also have some fire irons, a lamp and a bucket to hang as well.

IMG_1712.JPG.f93a9e812bac1fddb809d21edb0a0f97.JPG

To keep what will become 2757 company, are two Ratio 4 wheelers, made by MIB Snr before we joined the EU.   The cream is now very yellow and the roofs are turning a yellowed colour as well.  I think it is the varnish.  Never mind - I am proud to have them in the cabinet. 

And hiding the 2 Pugh coal wagons ( mentioned recently and half way through "age-ing" as promised) is my little shiny black ex feral cat who is fascinated by the items in the cabinet.  As soon as he hears the doors slide open, he's over to have a look.   He is fascinated to watch engines on the test plank and hasn't taken a swipe at one .....yet..........

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have ventured out and about on my Indian Scout including trips to my local shows.  A few items have been purchased following the "education" I got over on the "Prototype" pages regarding traffic flows to the other side of London, and how it was all done.  So some more stock from East London addresses will be appearing as well as more NE stock.

i already have the LNER pigeon club train (shown a few years ago) which was relatively easy to build up, even finding the somewhat rare Bachman Thompson full brake.    But NE vans and opens are not in abundance as kits or good RTR. IMG_1715.JPG.d96fe4a6bf6a84a2c6b5754a9ab201e0.JPG Here's a Ratio  an Oxford Rail offering from a show - following the "saggy tarp" treatment.  All of these shown today need a good weathering.  The tarp'd ones will get brush weathered rather than airbrushed.

A couple of coal opens from East London courtesy of the Braintree show,

IMG_1713.JPG.26110b95e0f6c09df0a6b2497156c9ef.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG.75fba12c8ed438a9af5bbbfc3a9c4445.JPG

and another "Berry Wiggins" tank. IMG_1745.JPG.7354ea52d5028a011d06c740ce8f1d65.JPG I have a few in different liveries.  This is a new offering from Hornby.  When i compare this to the 80s Hornby tanks at the top of the cabinet.........

IMG_1718.JPG.a0ac96b693e28182a3efd457645388c5.JPG

I have tried using sponge to make coal loads for the first time - cardboard is just too "2d" even if it is layered, and I am extremely pleased with the results. IMG_1717.JPG.f4fbffecd9133690c8c92e7365184fbb.JPG There's a project for a long cold winter weekend - 100 coal and sand and stone opens, a pile of car sponges and a case of Uhu..........

I hope your summer has been productive, and that you remain happy and healthy.  I have asked for more overseas assignments as the railway shed won't build itself, and I have been rewarded with more time in Iraq and Somalia this Autumn - lucky me  (:       I am hoping to return to full time overseas work.

Thank you for your company.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just home after a week in the middle East and a parcel was waiting for me.

IMG_1781.JPG.1cc0ecc5156b356a664828848e6e4f74.JPG

To say that I am pleased with the detail on this is an understatement:

IMG_1784.JPG.1d68a1f7f94f02bb30a617f0b47c0bd1.JPG

It comes in primer, with a removable transformer load and the "spare" low loader body/frame as well.

IMG_1783.JPG.ce315223bfef12d4faf91f40d733466c.JPG

It is beautifully manufactured as well as detailed.

Look forward to seeing this finished and occasionally clogging  the Up Relief at a sedate 20mph, behind a 28XX and TOAD with a second TOAD following.

On Google's 21st birthday, I hope that you are happy and healthy and enjoying the rugby.

Snip 1.JPG

snip 2.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Shock, horror!  I have had a week off work!!!   In fact it was the second week of my summer holiday!!!!!   This means I am not expecting to be in the office much in December as I have been told to take all my remaining holiday.  But there will still be emails to answer and calls to make.........

I have done some modelling and I will post a few snaps over the coming days.

Firstly 41977:

IMG_1878.JPG.e2d2c7c386436b3073797fe899d08ea4.JPG

This took 4 nights to paint by brush, mainly because of the nooks and crevices etc.  And another evening session to letter up.  I have no idea why this behemoth had "Common User" logos, but it did.  I didn't manage to put the "Tare" logo on, mainly because the HMRS sheets don't contain an italic number large enough.  I will let myself off though because I did manage the Centre-of-Balance logo on the low loader body:  thh "C" overlaid with an "I" which is exactly how I did it.

The transformer load is gloss green, and the suspension plated are red lead.  I did read in a number of places that such plates were fitted to the transformer for transit only and were made just to under sling the load inside the girder frame.  This frame did come apart so that the transformer could actually be loaded sideways!!!! before the side was refitted.  However man-handling the girder side would have needed a considerable crane.

IMG_1879.JPG.81d2c2617c28bccb87b278ef67b72131.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG.14f338f87e52713ea01d128be91ba52b.JPG

The low loader body looked a little bereft and I remembered something about Deam bogies.  In the Russell wagns book, there was indeed a photo of the "spare" body being stored on an old pair of Dean bogies. 

IMG_1881.JPG.162218175193bed5ffb3f146c52ee2dd.JPG

A Railroad clerestory donated a pair of bogie which lost their running boards and couplings, and gained some girder lengths and some wooden dunnage, care of Swan Vesta and Costa Coffee.............  The packing is a little taller than in the photo but I had to do this because of the height of the pins.  As per the photo there is also packing on the rail tops as well.    I will grubby them up a little.

IMG_1886.JPG.28efb15d5ab259edd427f70854b501ea.JPG

There is only one fault with this excellent model - no handbrake levers. I have some in a "bits box" and will add them someday.

IMG_1887.JPG.a405876783a3b20d46fa310573d2d845.JPG

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Not a pile of other photos because most of the other work was simple "re-names" (and coal and crew and fall plate if needed).

Hornby's Knight of St Pat became 4031 Queen Mary.

A black BR Hornby Grange is now unlined green ( late logo) Longford Grange, IMG_1892.JPG.3c5ac513b6d6c508dfcbb24690543207.JPG  complete  with low coal level in the bunker,IMG_1889.JPG.9cc1f95880094bb391b1cdddaac33ac0.JPG

And an ex-set King ( forgotten which now) became the youngest King (in my period anyway)  - Willy 3.

I also made a start on a pair of TSOs based on the Hornby "Night Mail" coaches - chassis replaced with Hornby LMS 57' versions.  I think one will be "all over" brown whilst the other will be C&C.

IMG_1927.JPG.9969bb2e3c37d45489bdc0c030f3562d.JPG

Some spray painting was also done, but the finished projects are a way off:

4961 Pyrland Hall in unlined green late logo - but due to an accident with a hairdryer this Hornby engine will have a Bachmann body ............(oooops).  This also has an ex 2251 tender bearing the "GWR" logos

4943 Marringdon Hall, also unlined green.

4942 Maindy Hall in unlined green

2845 for a conversion to oil using  3d printed  parts.

and an Oxford Dean to all over black.

7204 has made a re-appearance for the fitting of the Brassmasters detail kit, and of course the three panniers for new DCC chassis are still underway.

Plenty to keep me sane over winter.

Hope that you are all happy and well.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was stood on the platform tonight waiting for the connector train down the branch line where I alight.

I got a later train home and while I waited for the 1854 to pull in there was a rumble and I could feel weight and speed.....

Quite excitedly I crossed the platform in time to see the Up Containers smashing past at a huge rate of knots through the station on the central mainline track.

It wasn't steam and it wasn't even a big diesel of my childhood, but it was still exciting to see a fast freight thundering through and off into the night.

A really great feeling.

I watched until I could see the flashing red lamp  no more, and then the 1854 crept in......

Season's greetings.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

I was stood on the platform tonight waiting for the connector train down the branch line where I alight.

I got a later train home and while I waited for the 1854 to pull in there was a rumble and I could feel weight and speed.....

Quite excitedly I crossed the platform in time to see the Up Containers smashing past at a huge rate of knots through the station on the central mainline track.

It wasn't steam and it wasn't even a big diesel of my childhood, but it was still exciting to see a fast freight thundering through and off into the night.

A really great feeling.

I watched until I could see the flashing red lamp  no more, and then the 1854 crept in......

Season's greetings.

Was the 1854 a saddle tank or pannier tank?

No problem, I'll let myself out. Thanks.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I wish it had been a tank engine, with a rake of compartment coaches, all warm and cosy from the steam heating, with nice firm but plump seats.

A few Servicemen headed home for early Christmas leave with a card school going off in one compartment.

Ladies in hats coming back from Town with laden bags.

A couple of menacing looking Teds in black suits and beautiful waistcoats, grooming their quiffs in the dark window reflections.  Off to a Palais de Dance in Clacton.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have a week off work and lots of modelling planned.............and I get hit by the flu/lurgey that is travelling through the UK.

Hope you all avoid it or got over it quickly.  Most people have had this for 2-3 weeks............

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

What a pain. I hope you beat the recovery period and get well soon.

Bolting the door I know but.....flu shots? Theyseem to have worked for us the last few years...touch wood

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Premium

A merry Christmas to all who frequent NC.

The man-flu has improved but not enough to go back out and put my 40 new fence posts in.

So I have managed to do some modelling for a change - more to follow.

I hope you all have a lurgy free Festive Season.

Regards from the Far East - the land of the 94XXs and the 97XXs........

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I hope you all had a nice day yesterday.

2019 has been a good year for new models - especially "BIG" ones:  Railgun, Warwell and Warflat, although I didn't subscribe to a Warflat.  Plus I sourced a CROCODILE L.   

And now I have a request  for funds for another large model:  the steam crane is imminent, which I'm pleased about.

Plenty of good private owner models released this year too.

I hear that there are some good releases on the way for 2020:  I'm interested in a 6 wheeler coach as a S&T crew van, and the 94XX of course.  Not sure about the rest.

Stay warm and dry.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

I hope you all had a nice day yesterday.

2019 has been a good year for new models - especially "BIG" ones:  Railgun, Warwell and Warflat, although I didn't subscribe to a Warflat.  Plus I sourced a CROCODILE L.   

And now I have a request  for funds for another large model:  the steam crane is imminent, which I'm pleased about.

Plenty of good private owner models released this year too.

I hear that there are some good releases on the way for 2020:  I'm interested in a 6 wheeler coach as a S&T crew van, and the 94XX of course.  Not sure about the rest.

Stay warm and dry.

No Hornby Prairie(s)?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm 23 in my head and have been for a very long time............

I can live without new Prairies - my two Airfix ones are nicely detailed and seriously low mileage.  I may reconsider when I look at putting a chip in them tho - any advice?

However Moguls.........  I do have 4 and that's a lot of pocket money to replace.  But John has already put the frighteners on me with regard to chipping them........

Perhaps sell them in Spring and do some fund raising................

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

I can live without new Prairies - my two Airfix ones are nicely detailed and seriously low mileage.  I may reconsider when I look at putting a chip in them tho - any advice?.

I don’t think it looked particularly difficult to chip when I had the body off mine while I was weathering it last week.  Though in the end I decided to weather it and then see what I can get for it on eBay.  The new one is so much more refined (and I can’t live with the holes in the end for the body / chassis mount). 

I only need the one at least, whereas Moguls I need a few more.   Though I want two more to go with the 73xx currently on my workbench neither are in Dapols releases (43xx with the long splasher and a 93xx with Collett cab).  

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, M.I.B said:

I can live without new Prairies - my two Airfix ones are nicely detailed and seriously low mileage.  I may reconsider when I look at putting a chip in them tho - any advice?

However Moguls.........  I do have 4 and that's a lot of pocket money to replace.  But John has already put the frighteners on me with regard to chipping them........

Perhaps sell them in Spring and do some fund raising................

I've got a very old Airfix prairie. It has a hard wired chip which was pretty easy to fit. I haven't added much detail and the main reason to replace it is that the traction tyres are shot.

Split frame chassis are trickier but not as hard as some people would like you to think.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, M.I.B said:

However Moguls.........  I do have 4 and that's a lot of pocket money to replace.  But John has already put the frighteners on me with regard to chipping them.......

Hi Tinker

I am sorry if I put you off chipping your Moguls.....I didnt intend to. However if you are relatively new to DCC its helpful to be aware that adding a decoder to a split chassis loco requires more time and care than normal hard wiring.

Its ages since I did my mogul (since retired). As far as I can remember, and with the caveat above, it was relatively straight forward although I think Space was a bit tight. I finished up putting the decoder in the tender......but I did that with a lot of locos....lots of space and I added tender pick ups.

My Dapol/Hornby prairies are also long retired. They were very easy to chip but again space was an issue although I was using Lenz Standards.......if I were doing it now I would use the £20 mini Zimos which I have found to be brilliant.

Hope you have got over the flu

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice on the miniZimos John.  I will keep an eye out for those in the Spring.

Soldering has never been my strong point, so soldering chips to a split chassis loco isn't filling me full of excitement to be honest.

I do appreciate your DCC advice - it's far simpler to understand that loads of folk on the DCC pages.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Thanks for the advice on the miniZimos John.  I will keep an eye out for those in the Spring.

Soldering has never been my strong point, so soldering chips to a split chassis loco isn't filling me full of excitement to be honest.

I do appreciate your DCC advice - it's far simpler to understand that loads of folk on the DCC pages.

Fair point. The trickiest bit is soldering the orange and grey wires to the motor brush terminals after isolating them from the frames. For the red and black wires, I solder each to a scrap of single-sided copperclad that is clamped between the tops of the frames, one facing each way, when you reassemble them.

Edited by St Enodoc
additional clarification
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1