North Cranford

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

After what seems an eternity, the Bachmann Steam Crane (45T Ransomes and Rapier) has arrived.  No 16 was the Old Oak Crane and hence will often be passing or stabled at NC.   Not cheap at  north of £200 but it really is as  discribed elsewhere, the most detailed RTR model I have ever seen.  Not normally one for "box openings" or reviews, but this deserves it.  

IMG_2137.JPG.3a080add6df0868b6ae8a390d7ad5d94.JPG

The accessories pack comes with hooks and coupling chains for use as a static model, as well as vac pipes.  Also in the accessories bag are two circular boiler ends - these cover the "workings" where the detach-able knob goes when you wish to raise and lover the jib or the hook in "play" mode.  And what is even more ingenious is the fact that the "knob" has a magnet on it to enable you to pop out the boiler caps - no need to pick away with pins to pop them out.  This wasn't mentioned in the instructions which I find odd.  (Or did I miss it?)

IMG_2136.JPG.d7f79788ccb4f465c248f33d1a0b3582.JPG

The Stokes Bogies are fitted in a very finely modeled and clever way.  Not as "blunt" as the Hornby method.  

IMG_2140.JPG.dd0a904b25dd5dc0bd3a074593f69892.JPG

Not only does the chimney flip over form "storage/run" mode to "operating" mode, but the operator's cab roof raises and lowers too.  The legs slip in and out - no surprise there.

On the match truck / jib runner the rest plate which the hook lies on in transit actually slides transversely, just as the real one would.  Small details but perfection!!!!IMG_2141.JPG.f9e73157c7edde77c63436ff75075100.JPG

In the above photo I have laid out the block/hook assembly incorrectly - it should sit flipped back towards the boiler and down into the pocket you see under the frame of the match truck.

There are decals all over the crane body and they are highly detailed.  But they are only "2d"    Bachmann have also supplied "3d" equivalents in the form of "cast" plates.  Just add a tiny dod of PVA and it's "detailed".

IMG_2139.JPG.2a3f6b6f585e9dec241c50f8e7164233.JPG

In a lovely Youtube video from GW days at OOC, there is a clip of ( I think) a mogul marshaling the breakdown train.  The link used to be on Robin's ANTB but I couldn't find it tonight.  There was no match truck shown with the crane, but instead an Open C with the lettering "Crane 16" , hence why a while back I modified and re-lettered an Open C to run with this set up.  I may substitute it for  match truck but then i may add it as the  means of carrying more dunnage, the spreader bar, the extra ladder and a pile of extra coal.

I bought, mended, "improved" and sold a whole pile of things in order to pay for this.  To make £200 extra on second hand train stuff takes some effort - but I have to say - it really is worth it.

One day i will do the cameo I often thought about while reading the GWR Wagons bible as a young teenager.  The inspiration comes from the CROCODLIE L pages with the spare "body" on Dean bogies.  My mind often wondered how it would look with a steam crane and a body swap going on......

Happy New Year!

IMG_2138.JPG

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to add the photo of the accessories bag:

Vac pipes, spreader bar,  hook and chain x 4, ladder and the operating knob, with the magnet in the end.

IMG_2135.JPG

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's announcements look good for LMS and LNER fans.  But Lode Star again already??  Nothing catches my eye in PO stock either.

So I think my spending will be confined to  DCC chips. And saving for 2021 when the retooled Saint, top-lights and other elusive GWR unicorns get announced.......................

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I have taken a 2 minute break from the keyboard to light the logburner and box up 4707.    I have some Modelmasters plates for 4707 and wanted to fit them to complete the "updating" of the lovely Heljan model.  Crew and coal are aboard already ( and have been for some time).  Brake rods will be fitted when it comes out of the box for good but due to box design, they will stay in the bag.

However the number on the model is moulded on, albeit slightly small.  It is a complete "plinth"  as opposed to many which just have a raised edge.  These are simple to pare away and pop on some of Jim's plates.  But I'm not in a brave mood and don't want to slip and carve away chunks of handrail or rivet detail.

So 4707 has gone North into the loft for now.

On the birthday of Tintin and Snowy, I hope you are all well and happy.

Edited by M.I.B
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

4031 Queen Mary was a simple piece of work.  As I explained to someone on another thread, RTR Stars are tricky to name without surgery.  Steam pipes being added throughout the life of the fleet, and the first 20 having a different shaped front end.  There were not many un-piped Stars in the mid-late 40s, but QM was one.  Modelmaster plates, coal, crew, and HMRS beam numbers.  Weathering to follow.  This will get a fairly heavy weather because to remain lined by this period, it will be very close to a heavy shop.IMG_2107.JPG.8ddef443cd417949c15e329dd3892cc6.JPG

IMG_2108.JPG.14599a5f4c3f6fdc6dca9cb0e2e08872.JPG

As posted above, 4707 came out, sat in the cabinet and has since been re-boxed.  The fall plate on QM above is a fitted item and will flex down into a more realistic position.  47XX fall plates are an "accessory" on the model so this will be fitted at the same time as brake rods.

IMG_2084.JPG

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The second oil burner at NC was completed with the help of a 3D printed tank by Stafford Road Models via Shapeways.

This is an excellent kit - but make sure you buy the filler pipe as well - a seperate item.  On my photos it looks squint in most of them, but I can confirm that it is square and level.  The latest 28xx tenders lose their plastic coal by simply popping out the coal as one moulding ( not glued)   and the 3d print slips in perfectly.

IMG_2046.JPG.9a9447d215b8e043e38cc5d09dfe9df3.JPG

This pipe only appears on the converted 3500 gal tenders, but not on the 4000 gal oil burners,   The 3500s had their loading valve at chassis top level, whereas the larger tenders were filled somewhere on top by an overhead crane/Wheaton Arm type system.  3500 gal tanks were flat, whereas the 4000 gal tender oil tanks had a chamfered edge.

IMG_2047.JPG.0dab10afceede783593d80e8b283c23c.JPG

Add a set of Model Master cab numbers and my 2822 as featured back in about Page 2 or 3, became 4809.  

IMG_2048.JPG.1fbdffd920726a4b9af6257f7f57546b.JPG

The real 4809 was actually re-numbered from 2845 on conversion to oil, and got the 28 series number back when she returned to coal.  This was an OOC engine and one of the last two running on oil.

IMG_2111.JPG.a37c09e5e58aa0aa0b3c933bf4cf894a.JPG

And the fireman doesn't have a shovel..........

A squirt of Testors made the shiny edges of the Fox tender decals "disappear".  Weathering on top some day will add to this.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I have 3 Dean Goods - a real favourite of MIB Snr.    If he or I wins big on the Lottery we are going to build one and a couple of spare boilers.  Or perhaps we will Ask Mr Castle and his team to build it for us.......

The Wills/Ks Dean of early 70s vintage still has not had the new Airfix motor fitted.  That is possible retired to become a Cabinet item for good.

The Dapol Dean is green and was seen quite a few pages ago.  The Oxford Dean has been sitting in a box for 6 months or so.  Ex BR Black, it was a simple conversion. (Nothing too taxing was attempted  whilst having man flu).

IMG_2093.JPG.16400cb52a75cbbb3e6a88834b07d0cd.JPG

A quick scuff off with a fibre glass pen for the BR tender logo followed by a quick squirt of matt black to the whole tender side.  This is half a tone different to the Oxford black, but weathering will fix this.  Crew, a fire iron, coal, a galvanised bucket, tender logo from Fox and number from ModelMaster as usual.   Beam numbers as usual from HMRS.    There was no boiler number on this BR model..........

IMG_2095.JPG.8c1177e73ee7ccfb7d46b638b17f916d.JPG

I did learn that where the Fox transfers now need a dod of Fairy Liquid in the soak water, the same water makes HMRS decals "non-stick" .  So if you are using different types of transfer, two different types of "soak water" are required.  Beam numbers are hard enough to fit, let alone when most of the "sticky" has come off them.  Lesson learned.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

These photos are unfortunately not as crisp as I would like, but winter light, and iPhone camera.....

I did try employing my angle poise which I use for modelling, as a "floodlight".......

Apologies.

• RMweb Premium

Onto another grubby workhorse..........But not GWR!!!!!!!!!

J52s were common on GW metals just West of London.  For freight headed into lower East Anglia, from the West or SR, it got collected usually by a J52,  and taken North of KX and round to the East,  to be marshaled into the right train.   And vice versa.  But it was always the LNER engines which did this transition.  SR would collect only from the Acton Yard and move the stock South.

So a van of lathes and parts from Colchester for Dover would travel LNER to West London, and be collected in a GW Yard by an SR engine to head off to Dover.

Much like the Dean - a fibreglass pen was used on the large tank side numbers and then a brush coat of Humbrol Matt Black.  Again, the half shade difference will be covered by judicious weathering.  I used the handrail line to hide the join a little.

IMG_2099.JPG.19e35f788d01b563967ea55c8bd15854.JPG

Crew were added as well as coal.  This is a DCC model out of the box.  My second DCC engine after the 2721.

This engine has two identities - both out of KX shed.......

IMG_2103.JPG

I now have 98% of a waterslide sheet of LNER engine numbers from ModelMaster.  PM me and they could be yours..........

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

And finally for this session, and introduced above, the 2721.    My first DCC engine.  One of the latest 2721s to come pre-chipped.  It was sold out of a set.

IMG_2009.JPG.20d2c1fcd2ca0c75ad2067be02bcd66e.JPG

2757 got the same treatment - coal, crew and a Modelmaster number, with HMRS beam numbers.

The larger Hornby couplings were replaced with smaller ones out of the couplings box.  I have since had to send away to Peters Spares for a couple of dozen new small tension locks.

IMG_2013.JPG.adc8d821d3042f737f89b37d5c3199d5.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG.1b02520ac7de463370f4481fb7e49815.JPG

2757 was a stalwart at OOC and the surrounding area.  A truly Victorian type engine (open cab 0-6-0) working on in the New Georgian era.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

The second oil burner at NC was completed with the help of a 3D printed tank by Stafford Road Models via Shapeways.

This is an excellent kit - but make sure you buy the filler pipe as well - a seperate item.  On my photos it looks squint in most of them, but I can confirm that it is square and level.  The latest 28xx tenders lose their plastic coal by simply popping out the coal as one moulding ( not glued)   and the 3d print slips in perfectly.

This pipe only appears on the converted 3500 gal tenders, but not on the 4000 gal oil burners,   The 3500s had their loading valve at chassis top level, whereas the larger tenders were filled somewhere on top by an overhead crane/Wheaton Arm type system.  3500 gal tanks were flat, whereas the 4000 gal tender oil tanks had a chamfered edge.

Add a set of Model Master cab numbers and my 2822 as featured back in about Page 2 or 3, became 4809.  

M

The real 4809 was actually re-numbered from 2845 on conversion to oil, and got the 28 series number back when she returned to coal.  This was an OOC engine and one of the last two running on oil.

A squirt of Testors made the shiny edges of the Fox tender decals "disappear".  Weathering on top some day will add to this.

It makes for a very nice model doesn’t it?  I think my oil burning ex3800 has to be my favourite heavy freight model.

One further improvement if I may, there is a lot of pipe work and a couple of gauges on the front face of the tank facing the footplate.  (From memory there was either a photo or a drawing in the oil burners thread), makes for a nice refinement if you want to take it a bit further 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

M

It makes for a very nice model doesn’t it?  I think my oil burning ex3800 has to be my favourite heavy freight model.

One further improvement if I may, there is a lot of pipe work and a couple of gauges on the front face of the tank facing the footplate.  (From memory there was either a photo or a drawing in the oil burners thread), makes for a nice refinement if you want to take it a bit further 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm back online with an hour to kill so perhaps I can finish off the Christmas report.

Next up:  people.

IMG_2053.JPG.215888e02a96d58b2ecb8a315f886e90.JPG

0E01A986-413B-486C-9F05-765B789C57FB.JPG.43c20d920a6baf5c1322a927fb78b9a7.JPG

I'm still catching up on manning engines and as promised a while back, I have graduated away from putting crew in on reduced sized bases.  Now they are all sliced clean off their base once they are painted, and glued to the footplate or fall plate with 60 Second SuperGlue.   This is a mix of Uhu type glue that sets in a hurry.  I find it easier to use than the normal super glue.

I usually give it 10 minutes and then I matt black Humbrol over the boots thus hiding the shiny glue.

I have also started fitting fall plates to express  tender engines.  These are sold as castle fall plates, but with a stout pair of scissors, these can be trimmed to fit most things.  I have a few left and I must remember to make a batch out of plasticard.  Gluing the crew to a trimmed footplate, and then gluing the footplate in is a lot easier.  (photos are out of focus but you get the idea.....

IMG_2088.JPG.1734b0c195e0a420d7d7dacff497e6d3.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG.eb2e9ce992a177d8920f2197660f101d.JPG

I now need to go back through the engines already crewed and cut off the bases of any crew, add fall plates if required, and paint any black "grease-top caps to dark grubby blue.

I do have two traction inspectors in their suits and bowlers, but it's hardly fair to inflict them on the same crew every run, so these may retain a small base for blu-tacking into place when and where required.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I now have 20 or so crew in different poses than the same ones which I have been using for the last 5 years.  Some were a kind gift from an RM Web member and the others came from new suppliers  when I asked for suggestions.  There are some white-metal/pewter ones with separately cast heads and arms, so the poses are infinite and can be adapted to suit specific cabs.

I did like the Model-U ones but they do come out at the top of the price scale.

The J52 tank was only the second left hand drive engine to be crewed - the WD 2-8-0 being the first a few years ago.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A few wagons were dispatched - a factory weathered Dapol van got improved by blackening the wheels (matt was used - paint is still wet here),

IMG_2081.JPG.137f5f572f351873313ca78df6660491.JPG

and three coal wagons got the wheels and coal fill treatment. 

IMG_2016.JPG.e9f462440a4af524822e45ea28cce401.JPG

Lettering and livery on PO wagons these days is so good compared to the 80s. 

IMG_2080.JPG.780f1492fc9c3bbe9d161d398437fc5e.JPG

I can't resist anything with a London address on it, especially if it is North, West or East postcodes.  The Bull wagon is a working end tipper.  The lever has been removed and the sponge under the coal has pushed the door open.  When I fill the holes left by the tip lever removal and for the pivots, I will glue the end door shut.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And to close, 2 new TSOs.  They were Ebay cheapies - one in LMS livery and one in bright red Post Office livery.

The chassis will go on Ebay as usual, and tend to sell well for some reason.  The last TSO I built out of one of these cost less new (on offer) than I sold the chassis and operating mech for.

These are a hybrid and if you squint they do match one of the the GWR  designs used for a TPO and TSO.  A number of TSOs were TPOs with no net gear fitted.  Instead there was a blank panel with a double window.

My aim on this project was to remove 2 x SIPHONs from the mail rake and replace with TSOs.  I have already posted a picture of the two coach bodies in the brake fluid bath, which does a great hob of paint and lining removal in 12 hours.  Ebay furnished me with 2 x 57' LMS coaches which donated their chassis and bogies.

One was painted in all over dull coach brown (Railmatch rattle can) and the other in Railmatch rattle can "chocolate and cream".  This is very hard to tightly mask on these coaches, but in the few places where the spray crept under the mask, I used Railmatch brushing paint to correct this.  I may try HMRS lining to improve on this, which will get somewhat covered by airbrush weathering.

IMG_2126.JPG.f4138d3612384237b8501d88fbf97d04.JPG

Buffers on earlier TSOs were filed round from oval LMS ones, but later on I started to use larger cast Collett type ones.  Simply pare off the existing ones with a fine hacksaw, , file almost flat, and drill with a pin vice.  

IMG_2132.JPG.1c7f8d544cd83653f892a03d43bc40f1.JPG

1091146641_IMG_2133(1).JPG.540b0c57873c40ae9d6137e4c679fb0c.JPG

Full width tension lock couplings were cut away and smaller "Dapol" ones bonded to the bogies.

HMRS logos were used for the GW letters and the Royal Mail and Post  boxes come from a sheet by Modelmaster.

IMG_2122.JPG.b65bc5f8b427c02fd7f1611984c7a4d5.JPG

Earlier TSOs and the TPO were treated to an offset corridor conversion.  I sliced off the corridor, filled one of the window holes and moved the corridor over. 

IMG_1974.JPG.c54ea819d5beb51730a28e5af90bd802.JPG

I started to do this on these two but having fitted MJT corridors to other stock, I took the plastic Hornby corridors off the whole rake, and retro fitted MJT brass and paper ones.  These got one coat of paint when constructed and a second once fitted. 

IMG_2124.JPG.71d316a86c146a337550142655cc0a23.JPG

I did experiment to see if one corridor would look OK bridging between 2 coaches. I left it fully expanded without side retainers, 

2032653600_IMG_2150(1).JPG.e265c4899b8cc283f3eed1e25f357055.JPG

This didn't work, so each of the coaches in the rake got an MJT corridor at both ends, with the exception of the leading and trailing full brakes.  These have central gangways at the outer ends and I fitted the stock Hornby item in place.

IMG_2155.JPG.2477974e8b3491d3bff4b37e5b256b29.JPG

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s an interesting project with the Post Office vehicles. You’re giving me ideas - which is bad, because I have enough on the go already! :) 

Edited by TrevorP1
Typo

• RMweb Premium

Just noted that the rear Hawksworth brake needs its rear bogie rotating 180 degrees to hide the NEM coupling socket.......

Photos are an invaluable tool not only for research, but for QA/QC

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Just noted that the rear Hawksworth brake needs its rear bogie rotating 180 degrees to hide the NEM coupling socket.......

Photos are an invaluable tool not only for research, but for QA/QC

Take the entire cam coupler mechanism out altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another step towards DCC.............. I broke open the Guagemaster cartons and took the Prodigy unit out and a hand controller.

Armed with a pile of Hornby chips, Hornby locos and instructions from John Dew, I spend some time chipping today, and setting "long addresses".

I was a little apprehensive to begin with, but after the third one it was a breeze.  Every engine programmed up OK and did the "hop" to show it had been programmed correctly. 12 chipped and 14   "addressed" (2 were purchased pre-chipped).  The most time was lost to unpacking and repacking the engines into boxes.

I'm off again on my travels, so when I get back I will get stuck into making the test plank - 10 foot long, folding unit...... then I can play with CVs etc ( but not the greasy type...or the fantasy type.....) Then I can start with the more tougher DCC conversions.IMG_2289.JPG.4ce1acef8b6bfdc4c65c86cdfe34ca5f.JPGIMG_2290.JPG.385de7ff9b231f28b8471127c616a805.JPGIMG_2291.JPG.884eac483c203dd510d1d0a25c31e2d4.JPG

On the extremely sad day when we lost Nicholas Parsons, a true legend  (in a time when there are too many people classed as legends) , I hope you are all happy and healthy.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I managed to program the Bachmann "Earl", then squeezed a Hornby chip into the tiny boiler of a Bachmann Collett.  So far so good.

Then I started taking the Bachmann Austerity WD 2-8-0 apart, and despite the removal of all of the screws, nothing budged.  I even removed the pony truck and tookout 2 screws accessible under this.   Still no joy.

Quit while I am ahead, and asked RM Web for help...........................

Dr Feelgood are playing tomorrow night - I feel a night off chipping, and a noisy bluesy treat before I head out to the sand at the weekend...... 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1