North Cranford

M.I.B

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 08:37, M.I.B said:

4031 Queen Mary was a simple piece of work.  As I explained to someone on another thread, RTR Stars are tricky to name without surgery.  Steam pipes being added throughout the life of the fleet, and the first 20 having a different shaped front end.  There were not many un-piped Stars in the mid-late 40s, but QM was one.  Modelmaster plates, coal, crew, and HMRS beam numbers.  Weathering to follow.  This will get a fairly heavy weather because to remain lined by this period, it will be very close to a heavy shop.

Hi MIB,

I'm modelling early 1948 WR and have found your blog very useful - thank you for sharing your ideas.

I'm thinking of getting a Knight of St Patrick and re-numbering it to one of the ones that lost it's Monarch name because of WWII (two of them 4022/6 got given the rare BRITISH RAILWAYS in GWR lettering).  When you re-named your Star, did you happen to notice if there was the correct boiler details modelled behind the nameplates?

Many thanks

Will

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, WillCav said:

Hi MIB,

I'm modelling early 1948 WR and have found your blog very useful - thank you for sharing your ideas.

I'm thinking of getting a Knight of St Patrick and re-numbering it to one of the ones that lost it's Monarch name because of WWII (two of them 4022/6 got given the rare BRITISH RAILWAYS in GWR lettering).  When you re-named your Star, did you happen to notice if there was the correct boiler details modelled behind the nameplates?

Many thanks

Will

I have done 4025 after it lost its plates (repainted in unlined green with the BR logo you mention in 1948), mine is in GW black.

i recall all detail is there once you cut off the plate.  I think I have pics on my blog.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

I have done 4025 after it lost its plates (repainted in unlined green with the BR logo you mention in 1948), mine is in GW black.

i recall all detail is there once you cut off the plate.  I think I have pics on my blog.

Thanks Fatadder, I found the photo and the detail is there as you thought.

Will

• RMweb Premium

When you take the plate off St Pat, pull the top towards the horizontal and back almost to the vertical.  Then lift it out vertically.

You are left with a small slot ( easy to fill) in the horizontal part of the running plate/frames.  Unlike Bachmanns and earlier Hornbys where you were left with a box shaped hole in the splasher.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I probably have some BRITISH RAILWAYS in GWR script from HMRS.  if you need them, let me know.  I'm not hove for a few weeks but id you can wait they are yours,

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, M.I.B said:

When you take the plate off St Pat, pull the top towards the horizontal and back almost to the vertical.  Then lift it out vertically.

You are left with a small slot ( easy to fill) in the horizontal part of the running plate/frames.  Unlike Bachmanns and earlier Hornbys where you were left with a box shaped hole in the splasher.

Sounds like an easy job then (hopefully).

17 hours ago, M.I.B said:

I probably have some BRITISH RAILWAYS in GWR script from HMRS.  if you need them, let me know.  I'm not hove for a few weeks but id you can wait they are yours,

Thanks for the kind offer but I've got two sets waiting to be used and BR(W) only used them for 5 months so I'm just going to do a Star and a large prairie tank and leave others in older liveries for variety.

Thanks again

Will

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, WillCav said:

Thanks for the kind offer but I've got two sets waiting to be used and BR(W) only used them for 5 months so I'm just going to do a Star and a large prairie tank and leave others in older liveries for variety.

Thanks again

Will

Unless you have seen photos showing something different beware of lining on a post war Star, as from what ive seen so far most were unlined.

there is a photo of 4025 ex works at Swindon in 48 showing plain green.  (I think it’s in the steam collection)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Unless you have seen photos showing something different beware of lining on a post war Star, as from what ive seen so far most were unlined.

there is a photo of 4025 ex works at Swindon in 48 showing plain green.  (I think it’s in the steam collection)

Thanks for the warning.

The pictures linked on gwr.org 1948 livery page show:

4022 unnamed lined with steam pipes

4025 unnamed unlined without pipes

And I also found

4026 unnamed unlined with pipes (Google star 4026 temple meads and it is the first image result)

So, I either need to remove the lining or add steam pipes or both! In some ways 4026 is the most interesting as it looks like someone painted a large patch on the tender before adding the BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering. 

Will

Edited by WillCav
To make more sense!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, WillCav said:

Thanks again

Will

• RMweb Premium

Calcutta Cup was a wet and windy disappointing affair, but at least we got to see it here: closer to Calcutta than Murrayfield.  And we had some real beer to add cheer.

On the hunt for a recent Hornby Hall - confession time - over the Christmas break, whilst under the influence of flu, I managed to melt the body to Adderley Hall which was in the process of becoming Pyrland Hall.  I have given up with searching via Ebay and tried RM Web, and quickly to be offered a "Hogwarts Express"

This is a minefield because the early Hornby offering was indeed a castle not Olton Hall, which itself  is another variation on the same theme.    Only the newest Hornby Hogwarts Express locos are actually Halls.   So what Have I been offered I wonder.  We will see.

I will be putting the spare Bachmann Hall body on Ebay when I  get home:    making a Baccy Hall fit a late Hornby Chassis is not super simple.

Wherever you are in he world tonight, Stay happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A month has gone by, I have spent most of it away, and I return to a panic about a cold!

I did get an Olton Hall, in it's "as restored" livery which means that it really is a Hall.  It comes in maroon (ready for the Harry Potter films) and even has "GREAT WESTERN" on the tender.  This is one of the quick "tell tales" when looking at Ebay adverts.  If the Maroon engine has a Hogwarts School crest on it, it is probably the Castle model.  If it has "GREAT WESTERN" it's the real Hall.

I say "probably" above - just to make it difficult there has finally been a release of a Hall in ""Hogwarts Express" livery (tender badge) these are  spotted because they feature a fitted headlamp - which on one of the variants actually works.

(Time flies by researching this stuff say in airports.......)

I will remain on the hunt for a late Hornby body.  No big dramas if I don't get one for 10 years - I have a new DCC ready chassis and  motor.

I have had a real clear out of stock - 2 Mainline Manors have gone, 2 Moguls, and 2 x 61XXs.   The 61XXs paid for a brand new "half price" Knight of St Pat which has been renamed to become the Star which got 3 names............  (quiz time)

Dapol have announced a GWR rich output:  Manors, Moguls and 61XXs.  So from memory the only late GWR engines needing a refresh from the 80s models would be Saints and small Counties,  

Wherever you are I hope you are all happy and healthy.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 15:27, M.I.B said:

renamed to become the Star which got 3 names............  (quiz time)

4017 Knight of the Black Eagle => Knight of the Liège => Knight of the Liége ?

There were many King (Name) => The (Nationality) Monarch => (Nationality) Monarch in the 402x series but they all had the scalloped cylinder cover that doesn't match St Pat.

Will

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Cabinet is looking bare - the  "display" items are packed and ready to go to storage.  Only some easy "work in progress" is out.

IMG_2697.JPG.c1b80e3d849b168efa9011cd366b3ce4.JPG

St Pat might get renamed before Paddy's Day - plus coal and crew.  it is DCC fitted already.  I will leave it lined. 

IMG_2699.JPG.6f4ad45620f96ead6bb8f0345edfc039.JPG

Not strictly accurate for a Star in late GW days, but the paint job done by Hornby is too nice to remove.  Rule 1 applies.

The 56XX0-6-2 is a recent addition.  It is the late Bachmann "BR"  version and is "DCC Ready"   .  Modelmaster provided a new number for a Gloucester based engine.   Not yet fitted.

IMG_2698.JPG.165a3c6b30b5436257542ba278ec9961.JPG

After a re-logo, and removal of smokebox number, it too will get coal crew and a chip.  I am not going to repaint from BR green.  By the time this is weathered, the exact tone of green will not be visible.  It's already extremely close to the Hornby green on St Pat.

In front of the Traction Inspector, who is just waiting for some "black-tack" for his boots, is Witchingham Hall.  This needs an unlined paint job, and a new identity.  coal crew and chip are already done.  

IMG_2700.JPG.f1cadc871ae1bff3e949120b8c41c9d3.JPG

I have used quite a few brass footplates/fall plates over the last 18 months, and decided to make them out of Plasticard for a trial run.  The test rig for this is Kenilworth Castle.   

IMG_2701.JPG.0701fa20e22d3106033f5f969bc83a3f.JPG

KC comes DCC Fitted from a Hornby set. No need to rename, just cal, crew, footplate, late logo and paint out all the lining below foot plate level. (already done).

Marrington Hall is starting life from the plethora of cheap Adderley Halls which have been repeatedly on offer for the last 3 months.   Not common to see a Hall with the smaller tenders in the late 40s, but common enough for it not to be a "never happened".   This time I'm using Fox Plates - can't remember why - bought a while back.IMG_2702.JPG.c9a52d89cea2ca24070df4e0c070008d.JPG  John Dew has been a super star when it comes to assisting me long distance with the transition to DCC and "chipping".  Marrington Hall will get one of a number of Lenz chips bought last year on a good offer price form a UK retailer. Many thanks John.

Still in its box, and in a cupboard where the "work tray"  hides,  is the WD Austerity renumbered, weathered and detailed some years ago.    This is in the que for chip fitting.  quite a complex task to get this all apart, but thankfully someone on RM Web has done a great " how to" complete with photos.

Finally Pyrland Hall.  Another Hornby "Adderley" bought on "special".  chip is by Hornby.  Plates by Modelmaster - all the usual tasks are done.   Repainted unlined green at Christmas using Railmatch aerosol.IMG_2703.JPG.4967a92aa5a100927421394362644b86.JPG Just needs a squirt of Testor's Dullcote and the bodies returning to the chassis.  Pyrland also ran with the smaller tender in the late 40s for a time.  But this one was a "GWR" logo'd unit, probably picked up from a 2251 or 43XX just gone into Shop.  I will dig out the relevant dates, but the photo of it as such is out there, and that's good enough for me.

As the UK goes into meltdown about no lockdown, and panic buying has cleared out all the loo roll, Fairy Liquid, pasta and tuna,    I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

Now - two verses of "God Save The Queen" as you wash your hands having read this........

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Working from home for the last week, and without 4 hours a day travelling, I can actually do more work if I start at the time I start the commute.

So I have actually done some modelling this week.

006D93ED-C90F-40ED-9773-98CA7F348D1F.JPG.2e12ef5d6e5538c15164c962c5fa03bb.JPG

Some new and some second hand crew were put through the usual process..........

IMG_2712.JPG.56afbabf4027dc06dceffd7c2dd8ed12.JPG

Kenilworth Castle go re-logod but this time without paint.  I left the crest in place and worked all round it with a fibre glass pen.  I did the whole tender side so that the area where the letters were removed so as not stand out.  New GW  were from Fox.    Despite following the new instructions from Fox, some of these still lifted slightly at the corners when the Dullcote was applied.  The all over use of the glass fibre pen, plus Dullcote means that you can't see any signs of the work.

The driver has no seat - he is glued via his right hip and right armpit.  Probably a little to far back, but he was probably destined for a lesser engine driven on the wrong side, plus it makes a change from all of my altered Hornby sitting drivers.

Footplate is one of my new plasticard ones.

IMG_2710.JPG.a057ecdfa3dde994865d4f80119cd9c8.JPG

Pyrland Hall also got dulled down along with its tender - same issues with the letters from Fox.  However they are no w 5 or 6 years old - may be that's it.  I do have a brand new "Sheet 7" from HMRS so perhaps I will use those next time.

The BR Green 56XX has a new number, and relogo'd using the same technique as the Castle.   I did have to paint the copper safety valve  bonnet green using a "pallette match" of Humbol Authentic 104 with some "Tar Black".  After some Dullcote none of that shows, and even less will show, including the BR Green, once I get the airbrush out.

IMG_2710.JPG.a057ecdfa3dde994865d4f80119cd9c8.JPG

Tonight Mathew...........put Pyrland Hall back together, paint the splasher plate section of the nameplate  for Liege, test the chips in the 56XX and Kenilworth, and perhaps even chip the WD while the  track and controller are out.

Wherever you are, stay happy and healthy, and keep the argy bargy off RM Web and in the supermarket where it belongs.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Neal.   Certainly getting much better than the days of Post 1.  Quite a few locos have left NC since Post 1, and lots of new ones - all done better each time.

Hope you are not too troubled.  I have guys locked down in odd countries in the Middle East so I'm making the time to call them each day just to keep them sane - no work, just chat.

Then I thought the same for RM Web - must be lots of modellers stuck inside for all sorts of reasons (lockdown, self isolation or hi-risk/infirm)  so I thought i would make an effort to post more frequently here too.

A bit more to add from last night:

For one other engine undergoing identity change etc I am using nameplate from a different source - not my usual Modelmaster.  The looked quite snazzy when they arrived 6 months ago but having taken them off the brass "etch" last night, I can confirm that until their design changes I won't be choosing them again.  Jim makes the Modelmaster ones in such a way that the "tags" holding the plate to the etch, are easily accessible for snips or scissors, so the plate literally pops out of the etch unharmed.    These alternative ones last night were a nightmare.  One of the tags is on the apex of an inside curve, so  you can't get in close with scissors.  I ended up creasing the plate on the splasher section.  I can correct it, but I'm annoyed.

Stay safe and don't go stir crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning NC visitors.

I didn't get near the Austerity last night because it involves soldering a chip in.  I still need more practice at that.

I went to see my builder and delivered the plans for the house.  He has suddenly got a huge chunk of time free due to a change in personal circumstances.  Armed with a few Coronas (of the right sort) we hatched a plan regarding the start date.  In short, the modelling is about to become infrequent again.  I am going back another 15 feet on a cottage and then up a whole floor all round.  Today I finish connecting water to my 1980s trailer home/static caravan, and it becomes habitable. 

Those un-started model tasks such as Marrington Hall, and the larger "quick jobs" such as a full repaint on Witchingham Hall will get reboxed tonight once they have had a check on the programming track.  I will then:

finish the 56XX (fit body and crew, secure chip in cab and refit roof)

Put Pyrland Hall back together

Name, coal and numbers onto Knight of Liege

Shame as i have definitely got my modelling mojo back.

I also need to look at what "work" to keep in a handy place in case I get some free time.  However I doubt there will be much of that.

It was Dame Vera's 103rd yesterday, which I didn't pick up on.  I usually comment on some anniversaries.

On the day that we lost Kenny Rogers, the man who sang about card building modelling,     I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

"You gotta know when to hold em,  know when to fold em..............."

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

Good morning NC visitors.

I didn't get near the Austerity last night because it involves soldering a chip in.  I still need more practice at that.

I went to see my builder and delivered the plans for the house.  He has suddenly got a huge chunk of time free due to a change in personal circumstances.  Armed with a few Coronas (of the right sort) we hatched a plan regarding the start date.  In short, the modelling is about to become infrequent again.  I am going back another 15 feet on a cottage and then up a whole floor all round.  Today I finish connecting water to my 1980s trailer home/static caravan, and it becomes habitable. 

Those un-started model tasks such as Marrington Hall, and the larger "quick jobs" such as a full repaint on Witchingham Hall will get reboxed tonight once they have had a check on the programming track.  I will then:

finish the 56XX (fit body and crew, secure chip in cab and refit roof)

Put Pyrland Hall back together

Name, coal and numbers onto Knight of Liege

Shame as i have definitely got my modelling mojo back.

I also need to look at what "work" to keep in a handy place in case I get some free time.  However I doubt there will be much of that.

It was Dame Vera's 103rd yesterday, which I didn't pick up on.  I usually comment on some anniversaries.

On the day that we lost Kenny Rogers, the man who sang about card building modelling,     I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

"You gotta know when to hold em,  know when to fold em..............."

Good luck! Don't forget that the late John Charman built the first "Charford" when he lived in a caravan while serving in the RAF.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

UK lock-down Day 1 - I am scratching the 4 bar gates onto the wall day be day......

Hope that you are all well and happy.  I did manage more modelling in the end but only last night and a bit on Sunday night - the weather this weekend was so good that I could not spend all of it preparing for the incoming building work/destruction.  IMG_2720.JPG.274a685c2500bd1493fd5454f70f8143.JPG

Pyrland Hall Bodies and chassis(s) got re-united.  The long address was set.

Kenilworth Castle got a DCC programme - long address etc

Austerity got a quick body off to check wither it is DCC ready (chip socket) or DC.  it is DC.  So it is destined to get a Lenz Mini Silver.

IMG_2718.JPG.730bd793170ceec3fc9d1be990e1f2cc.JPG

Marrington Hall (and its creased name plate), and Witchingham Hall are boxed and in the "to do pile" .  I will sort out the "to do pile" and make sure it is accessible along with the DCC controller and the programming track.

IMG_2716.JPG.578718afccd37b8e6974ab9b1f964ae8.JPG

St Pat/Knight of Liege is looking quite "streamlined" as an 0-6-0......

whilst its tender got a Lenz silver chip, a long address and coal last night.  The body came of for a change of identity and some crew:

IMG_2719.JPG.691b0e7b8568e9059eeeaceaa79f58a2.JPG

5697 got a long address and shunted to "next in the que".

IMG_2717.JPG.f71dcfb5f885b1bb2383dc2f89cb45ea.JPG

Building work will still commence on Monday - the builder is self isolated in his digger cab, the Council Building Inspector can still visit or approve of/by photos, and the concrete people will still deliver.  

On what would have been Steve McQueen's 90th Birthday, stay safe and healthy.  He didn't understand those two words!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Day 3........all is well at North Cranford.

St Pat is no more - and Knight of Liege  has name and number plates, as well as a renumbered beam.  With 2 crew and coal, it is in its box.  I am struggling to trim off the name pates on the Hornby Pt Pats - the brass used on the model is very thick and chunky - beyond normal modelling tools.  I think If I ever come across these or similar again, I will go out to the main workshop and apply so automotive repair tools to the task.

The 56XX was reunited in terms of body and chassis.   The chip socket is at the front of the engine, just under the front of the water tank at the top.  But the wires exit the chip forwards towards the  chimney.  They therefore creep into the front of the boiler, which has a horizontal split in it - the lower half remains on the chassis.  (Stick with me) 

image.png.2bd22b8375c627dc04adb7056e687467.png

There is no room for a chip (without total removal of the socket and a hard wire of a tiny Mini chip).  So I gathered the wire and ran them back to wards the cab in the space between the traction weights (in each tank) and the motor/wormdrive. Closing the  body to the chassis took a while as the wires tried to poke through the two halves of the boiler.  I did try wrapping them in a bit of tape but that added bulk in a tight space.

The wires are paper tape wrapped near the worm drive and as they exit at the back head.  This snapped as i trimmed it buy I have recovered most of it.  I will have a trial refit tonight.  There is a spare backhead from something in the bits box, but I think the cab is so deep and dark in the 56XXs that it won't notice as long as i paint the exposed motor part in black.

Not rocket science  just fiddly.  Having broken all the finger bones in my right hand in Helmand in '09,   sometimes  fiddly jobs take twice as long for me, but I now have far more patience that I had in '09.

The cab roof on a Bachmann 56XX comes off, as does the coal load, and the rear traction weight, which features a cab rear detail such as bunker doors and tool boxes.  So loads of access and space in the cab if the traction weight is removed - which is not an option for the sake of traction and also looks.

IMG_2729.JPG.89e3cf6c90065cf02a9bcf4314d4a112.JPG

I secured the chip on a plinth made of stacked lolly sticks.  It is surrounded by free air and on non conductive mounts so it should remain cool.

The fireman was located on a similar plinth, whilst the driver underwent surgery to remove most of his legs.

All good so far.  To add back the traction weight, I went to the motor workshop this morning, and after fitting a new blade, I took a chunk off the lower half of the weight.  It was a joy to slice up quickly - sometimes you don't realise that the blade on something has gone dull if you use them infrequently: replacement shows up the difference.  I think I have become lazy when it comes to cutting things - these days for the sake of speed and energy I use a machine to do most of cutting tasks and the "manual" way gets ignored.  I went for the hacksaw option today as it was a bit early for power tools.

IMG_2731.JPG.34551ddbcaf4f5fb5c87e4255b3ef7e8.JPG

So here we are:  traction weight ready to fit..... in 12 hours time 5697 could be in the box after a quick portrait.   

Meanwhile off to work........

Stay happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
spellink
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the delay in posting - I did the "weekly shop" at 0600 today and have been playing catch -up since.  

And before the cries of "panic buy hoarder...."   I usually do the weekly shop at 0600 on a saturday.    I did it today as I have to go off to do some work at a UK depot tomorrow.               Tescos had everything on the list in stock, in plentiful amounts and there was no argy bargy to be seen.

As for modelling...........  The 56XX got finished off last night.   Putting  the chopped down (or should that be chopped up?) traction weight into the bunker/cab area was a little more difficult than expected.  Because it is designed to sit on the cab floor it can support the cab roof and the coal load, so by removing the bottom 5mm of it, this is tough.

IMG_2747.JPG.34686d04fe5e6d176f5d7feb8ea96b55.JPG

In the end I used Loctite "All Purpose 60 second glue"  which is in effect UHU mixed with Superglue.  I had to glue the weight up under the coal load, leaving exactly enough space for the rear of the cab to slot down between them.    By running a tiny bit of said glue onto the lower edge of the cab rear, and edge of the coal load, it all holds itself together.  If I were to remove the  cab roof I would get the cab. half the traction weight and the coal load in one go.

IMG_2746.JPG.2f12de89b05bfb1cac72bf6a2892af18.JPG

The driver was re-positioned due to a miscalculation (the width of the cab roof pushing the traction weight forwards).  But this is an added bonus - he now faces towards the rear.  Given that the prototypes spent a lot of time running in reverse, because they rode better that way, this will be so for 5697.   Following the attached photos, the coupling was suitably changed on the model.

This model is in BR Green and has not been repainted.  It will receive a very heavy sooty and track dusty weathering so a change of colour so slight would be a waste of resources.

IMG_2745.JPG.260a50bae84992b02425d429c6e66f58.JPG

So the cabinet, which has been full for so long, is now empty.   I will need to go into the loft and sort out some more models needing work.  And I will select with my temporary accommodation and workload in mind.  But they will stay elsewhere- this is a good opportunity to take down the cabinet.  This room becomes the lower hall, vestibule and stairs, so the cabinet will not return in here.  It may go into the study , or it may be stored and go to the new home of NC when it has been finished, in 2-3 years time.

IMG_2750.JPG.046515fda2d6e7fb947f492b23a3dec4.JPG

I see that some really great modelling has been taking place on other people's posts and messages - I am inspired by what I am seeing.  I hope you are managing to get some extra time spent on something or with someone you enjoy.

EDIT - I have just noticed care of the photos above, that the boiler back-head panel has fallen back into the cab - I will sort this tonight.

In the meantime, on the 22nd birthday of Viagra (according to Radio 4)  hope you are happy and healthy.

IMG_2749.JPG

Edited by M.I.B
Found a modelling error via the photos.....
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all.  Lost count of how long we have been locked down.

Had a quick modelling session last  night. I can call it modelling as it did involve tools - not my usual "repaints and renumbers" which have been common over the last few years.

The 8 wheel tender project threw up a spare Collett chassis which I thought I would pair with a spare Mainline 2251 3500 Gal top.  So this was tackled last night.

IMG_2796.JPG.c6107e78735880cc5249ebfecd1e441e.JPG

The chassis is from a recent, but not up to date "DCC Ready"4-6-0.  The wheels are the pickups for one rail, and conduct via a copper strip under the drawbar.  The chip and other pick up is in the engine.

IMG_2798.JPG.6fdde84e083d4940a8c49a7909f93fd6.JPG

None of the mounting points mounted up and a fair amount of trimming was needed:  there was a mounting above the spring hangers which had to be removed to allow the chassis to sit up inside the Mainline tender body.  Also the area of the  drawbar mount needed a coupe of mm taking off it to shorten the chassis.

The body had a couple of "drops" inside  which were threaded to receive mounting screws through the Mainline chassis.

Once the chassis fitted freely inside the body, the body "flopped" down at the rear.   Thinking back a couple of years to the episode where the Dapol County tender top wouldn't sit in place, I just built up a plinth of coffee stirrer sticks on the traction weights.  This allows the area under the dome to be supported at the right height.

Coal was added, and a new vac pipe.  The brake rodding was missing so I experimented with some Evergreen rod.  It's a bit thicker than it should be, especially the "front to rears", but after a coating of black and some weathering it won't be seen., but the transverse rods will be, and that is the desired effect of this job.

IMG_2804.JPG.ae3fc1f1513e8a3d569baec6acff7174.JPG

Hand rail will get a repair tonight before the black paint comes out.

I don't have a specific tole for this tender, so it has no couplings or draw bar.  It will become either "shed scenery" or if a tender-less 2251 comes along..........

The 8 wheeler project is not the Falcon/Jidenco brass kit, but instead a 3D printed chassis from Stafford Road/Shapeways.

IMG_2800.JPG.eb3bfbcc6cf3c17227cbcf8086d3aa48.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG.db01c5bed5802747ec54127d8e01bc7d.JPG

Add the correct Alan Gibson wheels and a Hogwarts Express tender top, (make sure you buy the right version to get the mounting holes to line up), and "all -done".

This will run in unlined green behind the as yet un-named Impney Hall.  Before I settle down to the "paint and coal" stage I do need to add pickups, as my base model Hall (Olney Hall "as preserved") uses the tender to pick up.  I therefore have the choice to mount the chip in the tender and have motor power (orange and grey) go forward, or mount the chip in the engine and have the pick up wires (red and black) go back to the tender.

I also need to add traction weights - the weights stayed with the 6 wheel chassis.  I have plenty of tyre shop weights.

IMG_2805.JPG.a2fbcdb69b591aad5f78d39736d6a123.JPG

I have a couple of days to ponder this because in order to put the Gibson wheels together properly I need a "back-to-back" gauge which is now on its way from The Model Centre.  As (Impney Hall) was a visitor to NC I may chop out the coal load and build another empty bunker.  All depends on where I put the chip.

In the meantime - stay inside this weekend - it will be tempting to go out and about - the forecast is good.

I hope that you are happy and healthy (and remain so)

Edited by M.I.B
spellink
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1