North Cranford

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium
On 11/07/2020 at 09:45, WillCav said:

Hi MIB,

You've done a lovely job with that almost empty tender. I did a few for a weed killer train and I share your pain at getting the angles right. 

Will

That is the main reason that my weed-killing train hasn't been started!

How did you cope with all the lettering on the tender sides?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, M.I.B said:

That is the main reason that my weed-killing train hasn't been started!

How did you cope with all the lettering on the tender sides?

I haven't put any transfers on yet.  I think it's going to have to be a custom order from Railtec - they do up to 18 lots of up to 20 characters (max 2mm high) "TAUNTON DIVISION" & "W82"  on one set and "WEED SPRAYING PLANT" on another for less than a tenner (and 3 trains worth) - I'm more worried about the ex-oil tank that carries the nasty stuff, that has a faded Corey's Fuel Oil on the side - not one POWsides do! I may have to hand paint that and weather it to hide my poor signwriting skills.

There seems to be a number of variants of the weed killer train - I did the one with three tenders but no cab structure.  The smaller tenders were easier as I used the City of Truro kit as a base and could alter the parts before assembly (spare boilers for wagon loads & boiler houses).  I put top hats in and metal wheelsets, not thinking about curves and 6 wheel bogies - so it can only move on straight track until I come up with a solution.  I also need to check the photos carefully as I've learned that early tenders had straight backed coal spaces and I've put slopes in - every day's a school day!

Will

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Will.   Railtec were my only option:  I have had some good transfers made by them and they were great - I just wondered if there were any already out there.

I am building the later version with an old engine cab roof, based on 3 Mainline 2251 tenders.  I think the roof is from the CoT kit.   My chemicals tank is completed already - the photos I saw included a silver/polished metal tank with the name crudely painted out in a big black block.  So that's what I have gone with.

I have just checked my notes and found that later weedkiller trains had the bunkers permanently covered with a flat steel sheet.  This may have been because the bunker floors were rotten out, or to stop the rain water coming  down the bunker onto the footplate and cascading over onto the newly sprayed trackbed, thus diluting the weedkiller even further.

I have also gone for the option of a TOAD at either end as seen in many photos.  These have been painted.   I think a "Permanent Way" label is the most suitable allocation to add to them.

• Like 2

Are you planning to add a mess van? Looks like an old clerestory coach in photos. I agree with the top and tail Toads for transit moves. Do you know how they did the spraying? Spray wagon leading or trailing?

Will

• RMweb Premium

Will

I thought the TOADs stayed coupled so that there was always one in the right place regardless.  It also works when  the engine runs around and there's no need to shunt TOADs.

I have not seen the photos with a mess van - are you able to share?  

The weedkiller train would be capable of spraying in either direction.  At a sedate pace the direction would be immaterial.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Project SHUT IT!

After a disaster in December where an Adderley Hall body warped, I have been looking for a replacement.  A Bachmann body was considered but the internal work needed to make it fit was too much.

The Harry Potter connection makes some believe that Olton Hall models are worth a fortune - it's almost as big a seller as Scotsman!  Like the people who believe that the 1967 beetle is a rare model because it has a few panels which were only fitted that year.  But that year they sold more beetles than any other year.......

Finally I picked a recent Hall body for acceptable money - an Olton Hall/Hogwarts Express item.  This will be fitted to the leftovers of Adderley Hall to become 4973 Sweeney Hall.  Hence the project name.  Anyone younger than I will have to use Google perhaps......

IMG_3193.jpg.fe471a1d9c7cfad02c4879be92a5eccc.jpg

The bodies of modern Hornby Halls are stripped in less than a minute with a scalpel.  I like to get the firebox door off BR era models to make the number plate "removal" a little easier. 

IMG_3194.jpg.fd6c3d1328655588a4e0d5db9fbf49cb.jpg

The splasher/nameplates are easy to remove - pull the top of the plate sideways and down to the footplate and back up.  They will pop out of a small slot in the footplate at this point.  Earlier Hornby and most Bachmann leave a square hole in the remaining splasher.  New Hornby splasher removal leaves all the detail behind the plate intact.  This is good news if you want to build one of the un-named, side window-less black Halls.

Probably a hundred ways to do this - here's mine.  With a new scalpel blade I extend the lines of the top hinge right into the number plate.  Then gentle carve away the plate that is no longer needed.  Before I go too far and too deep I then revert to a straight flat mini file. I keep both the file moving and the work moving so as not to create a flat spot.  Be careful not to file away the round flange surrounding the smokebox dart. 

IMG_3195.jpg.e1c7e1c69874096abb460b54d87fd47d.jpg

The aim of the filing is to have a top hinge which extends way beyond the length it should, with no sign of a number plate.  The final step is to trim the top hinge to length to meet the lower one.  I use the scalpel got this.

IMG_3197.jpg.1d22a2867a3c0d702f96484af2f36cf2.jpg

After this stage its a rub over with some fine emery, then a glass fibre pen to remove the shed plate.

One problem with Olton Hall bodies seems to be the amount of damage they have compared to other Halls.  This may be because they aren't always used by discerning model rail enthusiasts, but abused and dropped by kids...   this one was no exception - the firebox handrail was bent and the knob was broken off and askew.  Also the top lamp bracket was hanging on by a thread and has since dropped off......not big repairs.

Next - a repaint into unlined green with it's 3500 Gal tender, coal, crew, fall plate and brass plates from Jim at Modelmaster.  I am tempted to try out a new Iawata airbrush that I bought last year.  Just to do the green painting.  But then brushing on Pheonix always turns out well for me, and doesn't hide detail - their paint consistency is great.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I posted twice last night but this second post disappeared somehow.  Hence why I didn't "sign off" as usual.

I have had an 8F for a while since reading the Maidment "GWR 8 Coupled Engines" book.  This is one of a great series of reference books which are all currently packed away.  

For those unaware, the GWR had two periods of operating LMS 8Fs - early on in the Second World War and then post war.  The 40 used in 1946 were built at Swindon and had a few minor changes in design.  By the end of 1946 most of these engines had finally made it into LMS service, however 4 soldiered on into 1947 with OOC's 8477 lasting until Oct 47.

IMG_3200.jpg.de1768437637ed9e4fd62703dcd60f2b.jpg

The GWR added the blue weight classification dots to the cabs, and buffer-beam numbers.  However they continued to run with LMS markings.

IMG_3201.jpg.42da191f638a0269dfb5731fc427baf8.jpg

The model was an Ebay "gamble".  Some of the damage was listed, some not. But following inspection it was found to be DCC chipped, which was unexpected, so this positive outweighed all the dods of glue which were not advertised as problem points.

The glue spots were carefully scraped off with a scalpel and have left no trace following careful removal and paint touch ups.  Bufferbeam number and dots are HMRS Pressfix, and after the red edged Hornby numbers and letters were removed with a fibreglass pencil, solid yellow replacement waterslides from Modelmaster were added.  These left a tiny amount of backing film which totally disappeared after a a coat of Microset followed by a coating of Dullcote.

IMG_3199.jpg.072ee2c547d254ca2b87b7ec5111be4a.jpg

As usual, the bunker was rusted, coal added, before the coal was masked at the Dullcote stage.

Crew are a mixture:  the driver is Hornby with his "box seat" removed with a hacksaw and files, to leave just his legs.  This is the third LHD engine on NC and for a change the Hornby driver fitted without modification.  The fireman is from the recent batch from AC Stadden.

IMG_3202.JPG.1fc325e029e482ea83f5678650d99ca7.JPG

The GWR engine crews must have loved these cabs -they are  huge, and very sheltered compared to a Star/28XX/2271.

IMG_3204.jpg.79eb629128a4cc26d350a9bb8c209520.jpg

This has been quite a while in the works - not having the reference material stopped the renumber, and house building got in the way since mid March.  There has been a two week pause on site, hence the increase in modelling.  The site reopens on Monday.

Weathering of engines and stock "modified" since last summer may have to wait until next summer for airbrush weathering.

In the meantime I hope that you are all happy and healthy on this sunny St Swithun's Day morning.

Back to Project SHUT IT!........

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, M.I.B said:

I have not seen the photos with a mess van - are you able to share?  

M.I.B.,

The images I've found are copyright so I'll try and do links:

Weed Spraying Train W82 with mess coach

W82 closer up spraying

Closer up still

On board

The last photo shows them spraying with the tank behind the spraying tender and a toad behind that - I'm guessing the other photos were publicity shots to show the tenders and regular usage was with a toad (which makes sense as you can then put a tail lamp on and spray in traffic).

Will

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Will.    I have those shots - notice the guy in the kilt - the tenders are marked "Taunton" and this is allegedly in Oswestry.  These all seem to be quite posed - there is no second TOAD and no oil tank carrying the concentrate.  There is another in this series where they are spraying and the operators are quite close and inspecting the spray - you would only want to do that with "water only".

These shots are great for construction details.  The shots of the trains on task or moving would be good to see.  There aren't many non posed ones.

I think from photos available, the sequence of GW weedkilling trains is probably:

early - no cab on the tender fitted with the spray bar.  Tanker of concentrate.

intermediate - as above but cab on the tender with the spray bar

late / early BR - no concentrate tank - pre-mix added to tenders.

• Like 1

There's a couple of GWR departmental vans that I could use as mess vans:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrdeptcoach

w96 on page 1 is a ratio 4-wheeler with duckets removed, reduced footboards and hand brakes added

http://penrhos.me.uk/Eng.shtml#80919

80919 also looks like a modified 4-wheeler

Although they're not the actual mess coach used in 1930s, they are legitimate departmental stock - and easy to cobble together - and I haven't got any 4 wheel coaches in the stock list yet.

Will

• RMweb Premium

Will - some good research there.

W96 looks like a hybrid is possible using the Ratio 4 wheeler kit and a Toplight brake third  sides.

Looks like Slaters will be making these sides again soon.  Don't be tempted to buy them from Coopercraft.  CPL do a 4mm D45 Toplight brake "sides and ends" etch.  I have their J12 and it is excellent.

I have a Ratio 4 wheeler to support my PW train which has ballast hoppers and GANEs and a light crane.  It's a great kit and not testing to make.  With added weight and steel wheels it rolls well.

Edited by M.I.B
Added more detail.

• RMweb Premium

I ordered some name plates for Project SHUT IT two nights ago.  The Modelmaster site asked for patience as they were busy.  I guess with lots of folk stuck on lock-down there has been a surge in modelling and thus orders for them.   The price of classic car and motor bike  "fix-up" projects has gone up hugely due to lockdown.

I always buy in advance, so no hurry and quite patient enough to wait.  Then they arrived today!  Phenomenal service from Jim Grindlay and the gang in Ayr.

IMG_3212.jpg.e7244daa2b2cf97555cf950e2f654f93.jpg

And with so much modelling going on, it's time to top up with the Dullcote, which I can almost not model without these days.  Gets rid of "toy" shine, keeps transfers in place, and "seals" everything ready to weather on top of.  It is an American product and supply is sporadic.  So I always buy in bulk.

IMG_3211.jpg.104ba9dbda5f61de8379d0ceac943c2d.jpg

Project SHUT IT  may resume soon - electricians started today and I will have a pointy plastic wrapped roof by next weekend.  That means next weekend involves moving 1944 large roof tiles up a long ladder by hand......

On the day that Captain Sir Thomas Moore went to meet Her Majesty, I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has been a busy time working on the house, and as a result the roof trusses are no longer flat stacked........

IMG_3245.jpg.2d46f3ac1c95a9dbf4512d4d2e906f89.jpg

So not a lot of modelling has been done.

Hattons dropped me (and quite a few others) a line to say that the Dapol Moguls are due in September.  First to arrive is the green shirt-button logo one with outside steam pipes.  I have one on order to become Southall's 6388.  With re-logo of course.

Then I have a BR black one to come, again with outside pipes, but this will become 9310, complete with side windows.    I know this needs a screw reverser, but for now Rule 1 may apply.  I did turn a pair of  Mainline Moguls into 9300 series engines complete with the modification to the front of the cab on the driver's side.  So I shouldn't be scared to repeat the work.      Those Moguls have gone along with the Manors and the 61XXs all to be replaced.  Not because I didn't like the look of them, but simply because of the details of converting them to DCC.

The Moguls, Manors and 61XXs are all paid for thanks to some Ebay sales of models, car parts and antique house fittings amassed over 25 years of car boot sales trips.   Otherwise I could not have afforded them.  I have treated myself tho - it's that special once-a-year-day again very soon, so I have picked up a barely used boxed BR Star and some brass nameplates.......  

I hope that you remain happy and healthy.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tinker

Good to hear from you.......Excellent progress on your modest extension.....no wonder you have no time for modelling.

Modelwise we are in a similar situation......two prairies should shortly be leaving Liverpool for Vancouver followed in September by a Shirt button Mogul. Lots of re scheduling to do

Best wishes

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Great to hear from you John.  I take it that RR&Co requires extra programming above and beyond setting DCC addresses and CVs.

I opted for the Dapol Prairies - are they due in soon?  I only saw something about the Hornby equivalents.  

I'm trying hard to find an hour for some painting on Project SHUT IT tonight, but the Horticulture Manager wants a guttering/water-butt repair job on a greenhouse........

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tinker

With RR&Co, once the cv values are entered,  each new loco has to be “profiled” .  This involves running the loco back and forth over a test track while the computor measures the speed for alternate speed steps.....takes  an hour per loco. In the case of the prairies I also have to programme their working schedules......the 4 car non corridor set that I bought in January last year has been basically idle apart from some half hearted turns with a pair of 56xx.

Last week Hattons announced the Dapol Prairies would be delivered in September but the consensus is that was a clerical error....someone got confused with the moguls. We have only seen CAD drawings for the prairie so I doubt if the finished product will be here this year

Good luck with the green house repair......ours has been very productive this year

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the explanations John.

"Roof" is back on the greenhouse and new water collection and storage is working well.  

Much as I'm looking forward to the Prairies and the Manors, I would be happier to space out their arrivals.  They are ordered,  brass plates are already in the drawer.........

stay safe

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been super busy labouring on the house so no modelling at all since beginning the paint work on Project "SHUT IT".  Sweeney Hall will be completed before Christmas!

I still get inspired by many layouts on here, a daily fix of RM Web keeps me enthused.

I hope you are all happy and healthy.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had a pleasant surprise when I went looking into the immediate projects box - running 4 jobs at the same time has at times made me forget about the hobbies. (I have a day job, I am the site labourer, project planner/coordinator, and I am also the procurement manager).

Right at the bottom of the pile is a boxed British Monarch from Hornby.  My British Monarch to fit my timeframe is a converted Knight of St Pat, because BM did not get outside pipes until almost BR days.

This BR logo'd BM already has a new set of Modelmaster plates too - Princess Charlotte.  A nice find.

I have decided that I will never build my Blacksmith Models MOREL, so when I can access the other projects box in Autumn, I will put it up for sale, preferably to an RM Web GWR/BR(W) modeller and not some wheeler dealer who will move it on again.  However I am determined to find a kit builder who can put most of my 013 4 wheeler milk brake together.  Paint, glaze and roof I can sort.

Project SHUT IT is no further along ( but the house build is (:     )

I hope that you are happy and healthy.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I felt a little guilty about not modelling after this morning's post.  Despite the weather forecast saying that it was an ideal evening to move my newly delivered plasterboard into the house, at 4.30 the heavens opened.

So the plasterboard remains shrink wrapped on its pallet and I opened up the workshop and then the model crates......

I am guilty as others are, of stopping on difficult projects and moving onto something easier or more fun.  There can be a practical reason for this, such as needing a part to turn up, or learning a new skill before going back to it.

4943 Marrington Hall has been "in the works" since Christmas, when the original body had a close shave with a hairdryer........don't ask - lesson learnt.

As recently reported, I picked up an Olton Hall body and work re-started and then stopped.  Also along the way, and a few pages back, you may remember that I had issues chopping the nameboards out of their etches.  These were from Fox, not my usual Modelmaster, because at the time only Fox did plates for this engine.

So all in all, not a list of successes.  So I have knuckled down this evening, and decided that this needs to be finished before Project SHUT IT continues.  This will be followed by another unfinished project (the 8 wheel tender for 4951).

IMG_3370.jpg.0568d048d5373e72a9b1e3e9fce4a860.jpg

Not exactly a scratch build in terms of difficulty, but in no particular order, the green and black got touched up, a fall-plate was cut, crew got a blob or two of corrective paint, chimney copper became sooty,  name boards got mounted and painted, and the glazing and reverse rods got replaced.  When I put back cab glazing, I tend to chop away much of the excess, leave a small amount of "sprue" which after adding a tiny bit of glue to an edge, then gets a coat of black to help make it disappear.

IMG_3371.jpg.38a4c5cd6151b121609b2dda3ea5985e.jpg

Sorry - photos were rushed, but you get the drift........tomorrow it's decals, splasher and nameboards on, and then Dullcote.  Leaving saturday for coal, brake rods and putting back together.

IMG_3372.jpg.de422e7f63445d479f4cefae8b070549.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 05/09/2020 at 21:37, FoxUnpopuli said:

Ouch.  If you carried it all, I feel for you.  I too am in house renovation Hades at the moment.

I have unloaded (and sometimes also loaded) all the bricks, blocks and tiles, and shifted most of them up the scaffolding.  Something like 3000 bricks, 15 pallets of blocks (dense, medium dense and celcon ("breeze").  As well as 1914 roof tiles and 40 ridge tiles...........then theres the 120+ bags of cement hand loaded and unloaded........

Keeps me fit.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

4943 is almost finished.  A couple of weekend sessions saw the lettering and numbering go on, final paint touch ups, and finishing up with Dullcote.    I do like the finish that Dullcote gives - it takes away all of the toylike sheen of new paint.

IMG_3376.jpg.2c11de4c06fa819b7b03199660044ffb.jpgIMG_3377.jpg.89475ecab24af0db0e9057e234d9f698.jpg

All that is left to do now is a clean of the windows with a cotton bud and some thinners, and it's complete.  The rods will get airbrush weathered so they remain unpainted for now.

IMG_3378.jpg.df8ed866b2f341b9dfbce3b8ecbddcfe.jpg

With a 47XX on the roster, I need lots of vans.   Lots!   But with the price of new vans heading towards the £20 mark, my preferred option is to buy a batch of used ones on Ebay, and then modify them and weather them.  Any erroneous vans are usually weathered and sold on at a later date.  The odd LMS and NE one has  made it into the stock, but I do have to say that NE short (10 or 12 ton) vans are not common in RTR, unlike the variety of GW SWB van varities.

This batch came in this weekend - and they are a very quick  turnaround - blacken or grey the roof, blacken the wheels, add "Return to ....." detail etc, weather (paint) in various measures, and then "de-weather" - cotton bud in thinners.

IMG_3386.jpg.b35ede27ab1b41ac3bd2f36a8311413f.jpgIMG_3387.jpg.5ab1877f1c74047c9eebccf4517c5a53.jpg

So for a little over £20 posted, I give you two 12t, a fruit van and what seems to be a BR 12 which got a very heavy weather.  It looks like a number of NE vans so it may stay in the stock.

IMG_3385.jpg.d1084dbaab2f82658d47f85c906390a9.jpg

On American Labor Day, I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

IMG_3389.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1