North Cranford

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

So, the next "must finish" is 6951.

Unnamed and built in black with no side windows, 6951 got a turn with the 8 wheel tender.  There are so far no available photos of the 8 wheel tender in this period, and based on its visits for overhauls, there is an incredibly strong likelihood that whilst 6951 was black, the tender was unlined green with G**W logo.

6951 is almost finished (dusting, fall plate trim and a re-trim of a cabside plate), but the tender needs electrical pick ups adding......(top is completed incl coal)

IMG_3395.jpg.e647e9926103696d33750d6ea9ae9db7.jpg

I got as far as digging out the boxes and ziplock bags of parts, having a review, and then putting it to bed.  But it is on the work tray and will be until completion. 

As previously noted, the thender to engine socket is retained and pulled back insode the tender body - plenty of slack for this on these "Adderley Hall" models. 

IMG_3392.jpg.d2ba821f8c98af47cea77fc036325121.jpg

The brass rubbing strips from a 6 wheel tender will be chopped about, re-soldered and glued into place, before connecting up the red and black wires..........all sounds so easy.........

IMG_3391.jpg.9c180ae93feac813448d66b5bb85e6a1.jpg

Then its snagging, test run, Dullcote and onto something new.  Two more Halls to rename and re-livery, same for an Abbey (!) and something else 3D printed from OZ..........or the tenders for the weedkilling train.......

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

Edited by M.I.B
added more info
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

So how do you eat an elephant - simple, cut it up into smaller pieces and work your way through each one.

The old Indian saying is true for the 8 wheel tender.  Fitting pickups (for me) is a slightly challenging task.  But by the time I had dismantled it all leaving the bare chassis once again, there was easier access, and work started.

Firstly I took the pick ups from the 6 wheel tender and straightened them out a little - they got a tiny bit mangled when they were removed. 

After a session of dry fits and trials I opted to fit them from the underside, withthe red and black wires coming underthe chassis.    With 4 sets of wheels there is not much room to see anything else under there.

Instead of getting everything correct in one bite ( too much of a mouthful to go back to elephant eating analagy ), I opted to fix the main bus x 2 and worry about getting the pick ups positioned and tensioned later.  These were fitted with a drop of Superglue for position, followed by a little shaping with a screwdriver blade, to fir webs under the chassis.  Then finally liberal amounts of Araldit were added to both hold each bus in place and also to insulate them, less their connection tabs.

I spaced each bus so that the wheel pick ups cover three wheels simultaneously, and also the connection tabs are offset to avoid them touching.

IMG_3400.jpg.7f034d68c85958c7c6ffa269b825fd88.jpg

That lot has set overnight.  Looks like a bit of a mess, but they are solid and unseen.  Some matt black will hide that.

As for the tender body, I needed to add weight.  For those new or unfamiliar with 3d prints - they weigh nothing!  So two tyre weights were added to the roof (towards the rear) and front face of the tender body, and Liquid Gravity poured and glued inside the coal hump and the two tool box castings.  I did fret about LG dropping off in time and short circuiting the chips etc, but to placate myself I will slip them all in one of those loose sleeves that Hornby supplies with chips.

IMG_3398.jpg.5ab0f837e5258e7173c62cfbce1a66f0.jpg

Tonight's tasks: test the current collection - firstly just to the connection tabs using DC, then paint the tender chassis again, tidy up the chip and wires, and then test using DCC. Finally put it all back together, and Dullcote.  

The task looks less daunting, which is why it has been sat around for a little while.  Update to follow......

I hope that you are happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
added photos!
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The Planning Office Inspector came out yesterday.  A great visit and great outcomes, however last night was spent digging out photos, writing reports and saving them as PDFs so that they could make it into the Planning Office (their mail portal has a size limit : pdf'd photo reports somehow shrink the size of the report)

So nothing done last night.  However a quick check today with some crocodile clips and a basic Hornby DC controller: a continuity check was completed satisfactorily.  I'm about to pop out and apply some matt black via a brush...........and tomorrow I will adjust the pick ups, pop the wheel-sets back in and do a rolling test on DC.

Last ride of the year on the Indian this weekend - off to Ramsey on the Fens  Had a station at either end of the town, which were not in any way linked - but that's non GWR lines for you.  I lived there when I was in single figures, so check out the vintage bikes, go see my old house and school and back in time for some modelling.

I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

• Like 4

That sounds like a most enjoyable weekend. We headed out on the BSA last weekend to an informal vintage bike meet, where a lot of classic American cars also turned out. My friend brought along his 1948 Harley Davidson "panhead" and wanted to stretch its legs, so a group of us headed off in search of the ruins of Belah viaduct. I managed some less impressive modelling than you and satisfied myself with soldering dropper wires onto the rails at all the baseboard joints. 

It's great to know that someone else is cramming in diverse hobbies with work and family life, I don't feel like I am kidding myself now!

BTW, what model is the Indian? If I had the money, I reckon a 1936 Sport Scout would be taking up room in the shed - for about ten minutes, before SWMBO pinched it. (Just like she did with the 51' Speed Twin. )

• RMweb Premium

'51 Speed twin definitely gets my vote. 

My Scout is a modern one - I bought it brand new without ever seeing it let alone test riding it.  I would love to have a 40s Indian with a hand gear shift, but that sort of cash just isn't available - huge house build, and a roadster build and a modelling habit......

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 08/09/2020 at 11:57, M.I.B said:

As for the tender body, I needed to add weight.  For those new or unfamiliar with 3d prints - they weigh nothing!  So two tyre weights were added to the roof (towards the rear) and front face of the tender body, and Liquid Gravity poured and glued inside the coal hump and the two tool box castings.  I did fret about LG dropping off in time and short circuiting the chips etc, but to placate myself I will slip them all in one of those loose sleeves that Hornby supplies with chips.

Sorry to interrupt the chat about Motor Bikes, what glue have you used for securing the Liquid Gravity in the tender body?

Many thanks

Paul

2 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Sorry to interrupt the chat about Motor Bikes, what glue have you used for securing the Liquid Gravity in the tender body?

Many thanks

Paul

Sorry about that! I don't know what MIB's preferred method is but I do know that you don't ever use PVA of any kind, it rapidly goes weird, reacts and expands.  I've used liquid superglue and gloss varnish without any problems after 20 years.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

There are much weirder chats going on elsewhere on RM Web........

I don't use Liquid Gravity much, although I am sure I may when I do more running if I have traction issues.  The reason I used some on the 8 wheel tender is that it is unbelievably light.

I use the Bostik 60 second Superglue or UHU - they both flow well into nooks and crannies and don't have issues which arise after time, like PVA does on some jobs.

The Bostik produce is just like UHU but obviously sets harder and faster.  It still gives off "cyano bloom" if the articles are not left overnight to vent off - a white haze/mist falls over surfaces.  I work a lot in my garage/workshop so I can leave stuff out overnight before boxing, or in this example, putting the tender top back on the chassis.  I learnt this all the hard way as you can read a fair few pages back.  Anything with Super Glue in it if packed away or re-assembeld too quickly gets the "white mist".

Cyano bloom can be removed, but it's just more work that you don't have to do.

LG will be good if I need it because modern engines + DCC chip = not a lot of space for traditional methods of stuffing lead or tire weights inside loco bodies.  But turn them upside down and you can fill all sorts of mouldings - like the tool bins on the tender, or the water dome.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

All super glue will give off the white bloom - it comes from the cyanide compounds in the glue which are what makes it work.  How they make it odour free I'm not sure.

Super glue sets better with a bit of warm moist air around it  by the way, so you can set it quicker by blowing on it.  Just do the breathing in part whilst looking the other way!

Edited by M.I.B
spellink
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Interesting you mention the cyanide compounds in super glue.  I’ve always been told locomotive ash gives off similar compounds when wet. It just reminds you of all the potential hidden dangers out there!

Paul

The clue is in the name - CYANOacrylate.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, M.I.B said:

All super glue will give off the white bloom - it comes from the cyanide compounds in the glue which are what makes it work.  How they make it odour free I'm not sure.

Super glue sets better with a bit of warm moist air around it  by the way, so you can set it quicker by blowing on it.  Just do the breathing in part whilst looking the other way!

A couple of times this year I had some strange hay fever like symptoms. Strange, I thought, that’s never been a problem before. Then I realised that the second time there was no way it could have been hay fever. What I had been doing each time was using super glue. More care taken from then on!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

A couple of times this year I had some strange hay fever like symptoms. Strange, I thought, that’s never been a problem before. Then I realised that the second time there was no way it could have been hay fever. What I had been doing each time was using super glue. More care taken from then on!

This is the reason I use Deluxe Odourless.  I too had issues with Hayfever type symptoms, Hobby Holidays put me onto the issue.  I also get symptoms nowadays from any Solvent based product. I’ve been using proper filtered masks for several years now.

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Be very careful where you use cyanoacrylate and particularly be aware of spillages. It reacts very badly with anything like synthetic foam rubber. A spill on cheap carpet even will give off a substantial cloud of poisonous fumes.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

So anyone making a layout using thermally insulating foam-board needs to be extremely careful and not use Superglue.  Most foam-board in the construction industry (and hence easy to buy) is made from PIR and therefore rammed full of cyanides waiting to be released.....

In my house build it is only to be found as two layers of the kitchen floor - it has another layer of concrete over the top of it.  Then tiles..............

It is the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.  Certainly a key moment in the survival of our country assisted by those from many other nations.    Never......(etc)

Her Majesty's Ladies Auxiliary Balloon Corps and their finest hour.

I hope that you are happy and healthy.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Long time no see..............

I am out in the desert trying to do what I do, and as usual it's taking far longer than it would back at home.  But I'm used to it.

I see that the Dapol Moguls are pulling into Felixstowe, and so there may be a parcel waiting for me when I return.  I hope there's only one because if I return to the Dapol 61XXs I ordered then I will have been here a while............

I have opted for a BR unlined Mogul and a "GWR" one.   BR one will of course be re-logo'd and covered in soot to an appropriate level.

I have held off on replacing my aged Mainline Manors, but I took the plunge today.  The delay was mainly due to spending an absolute fortune on DIY this summer............scaffolding gets dropped tomorrow I hear.  I could have waited a little longer but Rails do have them "on offer", added to which there is free postage, and a sum of money in credit with them for some "pre-loved items" I sold.  Temptation levels rose even further when I realised that my credit card is in credit!  I have somehow over paid...... I told myself that I would only have to cough out £X if I ordered now, whereas if I pause and order in future, the cost to my current account could be £XX.      An unlined BR black one will become Anthony Manor, and the late logo (G**W) one will become Dunley Manor.

The DIY project is all floored upstairs and the stairs are in! ( as well as the pipe stubs upstairs).  Ignore the spare floorboards - they are off somewhere else.......  as soon as I saw this space my first thoughts were "Get the Dublo out" 

Loft3.jpg.266e3e0783a06da63188bae12c311a05.jpg

As soon as I am home and on my mandatory self isolation, that unmistakable sound of tinplate trains will "christen" my new upstairs.

We lost a Bond yesterday - he wasn't my favourite, but a close runner up.  If it wasn't for his Independance stance he would have stood a little higher in my opinions.

I hope you are all happy and healthy wherever you are.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A 94XX is a must have at my end of the GW world.   Forgotten how long ago I placed the pre-order!!!!!!!  And just as the Moguls head North from Felixstowe, news is that the 94XX lands in the same month!

I do have a beautifully constructed whitemetal one which had a Triang chassis up until recently.  There is a recent DCC pannier chassis available to go under it.

However, it is a very glossy green, with red lamps, and has the wrong branding for a late GW engine.  As this was made by M.I.B Snr I cannot change the exterior - I always remember it this way even as a kid and thought how beautifully he built white metal kits in the late 60s and early 70s.    So it will run, from time to time, albeit not correct.

I have a coal ramp behind the shed, and this will run as a separate single track / no points layout within a layout.  Maybe this needs to be DC............

I hope you are healthy and happy.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tinker

I am in a somewhat different position with the 94xx...........in Chester/Wrexham in early 1948.....really?

But one was at Oxley.........so.....I have lost count of the number of times I have ordered then cancelled! Currently I have one on order but I keep hesitating....will the Dapol Mogul be as good as reported......I really “need” more than one.........decisions decisions

Hope you are well pleased with yours

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

John,

94XX is great for BR(W)   modelers but not good news for many GW fans.   Especially as the numbers of London based layouts isn't big.       I am not sure of the volumes of each they are producing, but I did think that if they have done their homework, there would be many more BR(W) ones made than GW. 

Backdating a black one isn't just paint - the rear steps differ.   Not insurmountable, but for the sake of ordering early and getting a discount I will have a factory green one.

I can use 94XXs, and 97XXs (which I don't think will ever be made in RTR)  but conversely I have no use for 42XX and 45XX.

And everyone can use a 2251 or a Mogul.   If I were in your shoes, I would swap the 94XX for another Mogul.

Time the Saint got a retool.....................I think I have said that on here a couple of times.

Stay safe.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

94XX is great for BR(W)   modelers but not good news for many GW fans.   Especially as the numbers of London based layouts isn't big.       I am not sure of the volumes of each they are producing, but I did think that if they have done their homework, there would be many more BR(W) ones made than GW. 

Will be interesting to see how well they have got their production numbers on this, and whether as a result there will be some bargains to be had on the GW release (or conversely if they end up going for a premium on the used market due to lack of supply). 

Time the Saint got a retool.....................I think I have said that on here a couple of times.

Give it a few months, once I finish messing around with TPOs building the chassis for my Saint is next on the list.  So naturally a RTR one will follow shortly after...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Give it a few months, once I finish messing around with TPOs building the chassis for my Saint is next on the list.  So naturally a RTR one will follow shortly after...

Would you mind building a 2021 pannier too while you're at it then, Rich?

• RMweb Premium

Rich

I was very interested to see your TPO and TSO work.  I don't think that Hornby will spoil your day there - the venerable "Night Mail" in all of its liveries will keep going forever.

Please do get on with your Saint... (:     same happened when I finally got hold of a 47XX - Heljan announced theirs

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Rich

I was very interested to see your TPO and TSO work.  I don't think that Hornby will spoil your day there - the venerable "Night Mail" in all of its liveries will keep going forever.

Please do get on with your Saint... (:     same happened when I finally got hold of a 47XX - Heljan announced theirs

I did much the same with the 47xx, though I much prefer the end result from my PDK one vs the Heljan (even if I havent quite got it running satisfactory yet).   

44 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Would you mind building a 2021 pannier too while you're at it then, Rich?

Im afriad when I finally get round to building a pannier it will be a 2721

• Friendly/supportive 1