Great Eastern brake van

flyingsignalman

post-6748-0-51500100-1423952084.jpg

A model of a GER brake van that I saw at the 2011 Wigan exhibition.

Could anyone advise me of the dimensions of this brake van, one of which was sold to the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Light Railway.

Peter Paye's book about the Mid Suffolk Light Railway has a sketch of one (that was bought by the MSLR) but it is not dimensioned.

A quick look on the GER society web site didn't show any drawings of one that I could see.

• Like 2

There is a scale drawing (or a set of drawings in 2mm, 4mm and 7mm scales) in the Great Eastern Railway Society Journal no. 2, p2.  (Full set of Journal back issues on CD available to GERS members at bargain price).  The drawing originally appeared in Model Railway News, December 1960.

Leading dimensions are 9'0" wheelbase (later increased to 10'6"), 16'0" over headstocks, width of body 7'9", top of roof 11'0" from rail height.

• 3 years later...

I know it has been a while since this was posted, but after finding a copy of the MRN, I have been told it is not the same brakevan. Not a problem as I have another source myself, but would not want anyone else making same mistake.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to be late with the info, but this was built to the drawings in Peter Payne’s book on the Mid Suffolk Light Railway. The MSLR bought one of these brake vans second hand from the GER.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2019 at 20:26, Clive Baker said:

I've just purchased a K's kit for this brake van, a white metal kit, it was possibly produced in the 1950's and still in its wrapping as it left the factory. I'll post an image when completed.

The Ks kit was actually for a Caledonian Brake van - looks a little like the GER one though!

Tony

I now have made a similar D&S kit of early GER 10Ton brake van.

I also adapted the Slaters MR brake van to MSLR but grey may be incoorect?

The Slaters 4mm kit is still available (2023).

2nd image Early GE 10T in D&S kit in LNER Brown and Jidenco brasskit fGER 20T under construction.

Model Mid-Suffolk Light Railway Brake Van

20230609_125039~2.jpg

Edited by SDuhig
Updated.

• 3 years later...