Indian Hill Railways on BBC4

cornelius

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Really looking forward to this, the BBC4 programmes on India's railways have been more about the railway itself and the people it serves while for some time now the 'Railway Journeys' have become more of a travellogue and far too centred on the presenter IMHO.

BBC4 tonight 9pm, and again at 0:50 - and if they keep to the previous standard I won't mind how many more times cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

Although the actual DHR played a background role, to the lives of the folk dependent upon its' existence, I enjoyed this programme immensely.

If the intention was to make us stop and think about our lot in 'the west' it did.

Such as the 45yrs old widow, working as a 'porter' carrying (immense amounts of)luggage from Darjeeling station to the various hotels, with 5 sons to keep and how her son's educations were put above all else.

Especially the annual Indian Army (Gurkha) recruiting fair, where 10,000 hopefuls aged (allegedly) between 17-21 turn up vying for ...... 200 places.

In my ignorance, I thought Darjeeling was still some hilltop retreat fro the 'Raj' leftovers , but when the narrator spoke of the elections, and the 1,000,000 voters registered in Darjeeling I took notice ...... and there are 700,000,000 voters in India, all vote on the same day, each has to produce a voters 'photo id' which is compared to the 'id' and photo published on the electoral role for that polling station, and they get something like a 95% turnout, queuing for hours to exercise their democratic right.

Then in Britain...........

Brian R

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This isn't actually a new series, it's been on before, well at least the DHR episode.

Nether the less, it's a brillant series.

Simon

Simon if you check out the dates on the original post you'll realise that it was when the series was first aired. Sorry to be picky.

Planning my next trip to India in 2012. But it is essentially the Shimla line and other bits that was in the Palin Himalaya programme the other day. Quite looking forward to the India/Pakistan border closing ceremony.

Archived