Railmotor valve gear. Help needed please

• RMweb Gold

I have a very nice, completed Blacksmith's kit of the GWR Steam Railmotor. Unfortunately one side of the valve gear has shed a pin which has got lost.

Whilst I'm quite good at finding ways of repairing things I'm at a loss as to how best effect a repair of this. I have never built any valve gear so am not familiar with the techniques used to rivet the two pieces together.  The photo shows the two parts that need joining. I think I'm probably fortunate to some extent in that they are accessible.

post-7649-0-42773600-1424040470.jpg

post-7649-0-68654100-1424040614.jpg

One thought I've had is to use one of the thin track pins and cut it to the length required and then rivet it in place. The valve gear is quite intricate and fragile so I am wary of using any method that needs some element of force. I presume the pins are normally rivetted with some sort of special tool.

If I need to get a tool what do I actually need to get. As I would probably have no further need of it afterwards is there another way?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

Rivets are normally closed by hammering.  The head end is rested against something solid (an anvil or another hammer) and the other end is then formed using a dolly. For something that small just a few taps with a hammer should do. Valve gear rivets are available from Alan Gibson Workshop.

The alternative is to use a brass pin and solder a small washer to it.

Coincidentally, I have one of these sitting on the bench in need of much more care and attention than yours. Without seeing one it is difficult to appreciate how small they are. The hole in the eccentric rod where it joins the expansion link is only 0.6mm diameter, so the 0.8mm Gibson rivets would be too large. It would also be very difficult to access the back of the rivet to flatten it. I reckon the pin and washer approach is your only choice here.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all for the suggestions, they're very helpful.

From what has been suggested I think using brass wire and washers is the way to go as the thinnest track pins I can find will not go through the hole. As Nick has said, and I've double checked the Gibson rivets are too large at 0.8mm diameter

0.45mm is the largest diameter wire that will pass through the two holes as things stand. I could possibly open the holes out a little to use 0.6mm wire perhaps but I'm not sure it is worth the risk. I will need to make some washers from some thin brass strip somehow.

It might be a week or two until I get the opportunity to have a go but it should be an interesting exercise. I'll post some results up in due course, if i get it to work.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all for the suggestions, they're very helpful.

From what has been suggested I think using brass wire and washers is the way to go as the thinnest track pins I can find will not go through the hole. As Nick has said, and I've double checked the Gibson rivets are too large at 0.8mm diameter

0.45mm is the largest diameter wire that will pass through the two holes as things stand. I could possibly open the holes out a little to use 0.6mm wire perhaps but I'm not sure it is worth the risk. I will need to make some washers from some thin brass strip somehow.

It might be a week or two until I get the opportunity to have a go but it should be an interesting exercise. I'll post some results up in due course, if i get it to work.

Cheers

I would suggest cutting slivers off of a piece of brass tube with the internal diameter that is the same size as the diameter of the wire you are using.

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest cutting slivers off of a piece of brass tube with the internal diameter that is the same size as the diameter of the wire you are using.

You might be right but either way it will be fiddly

You can also get dome head brass rivets with 0.5mm diameter shafts from that well known emporium amongst other places. You can put the rivet through from the non-visible side, through a piece of writing paper with a hole that is a tight fit around the rivet (and possibly with a drop of oil - not too much - then the other link. Flux the rivet and end of the link. Solder the link to the rivet, taking care not to dwell with the iron. You can then cut back the rivet, file flush and remove the paper. You should now have a nice free moving and secure joint. As the rivet head is not much larger than the rivet shank, you need to make sure that holes in teh parts to be joined are not too big, but it sounds like you don't have that problem.

Just raided the wife's sewing box and the diameter of all her pins are too big. Probably about 0.8mm.

Ah well! Back to the wire and washer idea.

You can get thinner ones. I found thin and nickel plated a few years back and have been using them ever since.

Some 0.6 here in steel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Korbond-25-Professional-Dressmaker-Pins/dp/B007TKDP5G/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424159886&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=dressmakers+pins+brass

Similar to those that I have. They are shorter and sold specifically for hemlines in 0.6mm dia.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hemline-Dressmakers-Fine-Long-Pins/dp/B003ZVP7OA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424159886&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=dressmakers+pins+brass

Engine below used dress maker pins as the rivets were missing when I bought it.

post-9992-0-38417200-1424160413.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

When I built one as a commission a few years back I substituted Peco track pins, which are dead straight. As a general rule I don't like rivets, so I do this quite often!

The sequence is this: scrape the blackening off the pin, gently ease the various holes with a broach if necessary to get a good running fit (you don't want any wobble here!), shorten the pin as required, push through the components so that the head is at the front including oiled Rizla paper to avoid the whole thing seizing up, solder at the back and clean up.

Go at it carefully, and it takes hardly more time to do than to describe!

• RMweb Gold

Nice find KalKat. I spent ages trying to find brass pins to make up some Masokits screw links. All I kept turning up were the nickel plated steel pins that Mike linked to on Amazon above (not brass despite the Amazon search term used!). Not sure what I'd do with the other 976 pins after making up 12 sets of screw couplings though :D

• 1 month later...

My apologies for being late -I have only just come across this thread whilst looking for something else.

Nick,

It would seem from your first image that you have not got the links connected correctly.  I can't see the front end properly but there should not be a diagonal connected to the reversing crank at the bottom of the G iron.

I hope the attached helps you see what I mean.

post-4465-0-79026400-1428838529.jpg

All my etched valve gear is still in the box! I need a load of mojo to tackle it .....one day maybe? (The body is 90% complete and just waiting :( to be dropped onto the motion ) hey ho !

The hardest part of the valve gear is starting.  After that, it gets easier.  

However . . . do look at pictures, identlfy the bits on the fret and make sure you know what goes where BEFORE you cut anything out.  There is a mistake on the fret (though the gear still goes together) with the combination lever, the vertical bit right by the cylinder block.  It is too long so the union link which connects to the bottom points downwards when it should be parallel to the ground.  Be careful, too, distinguishing between the reversing crank and gear return crank.  One goes on the bottom of the G iron and the other the rear wheel crankpin.  On the fret, the latter has a D shaped hole (you are meant to file a flat on the crankpin) which is easy to overlook which I did, but fortunately the two parts are about the same size.

I have made three lots of this valve gear from the original Mallard etch and am now working on a fourth, a test etch for the Blacksmith model.

I strongly recommend having a look at GWR Steam Railmotors by John Lewis.  If anyone wants some help, send me a message and I will see what I can do.

• Administrators

I have one of these on the bench at the moment. Will use brass pins and solder as I have in the past.

I don't use oiled Rizla papers though, kitchen aluminium foil works better for me.

Also, coat anywhere you DON'T want the solder to be with permenant marker, solder only sticks to clean surfaces. You can remove the marker with turps later.

I have one of these on the bench at the moment. Will use brass pins and solder as I have in the past.

I don't use oiled Rizla papers though, kitchen aluminium foil works better for me.

Also, coat anywhere you DON'T want the solder to be with permenant marker, solder only sticks to clean surfaces. You can remove the marker with turps later.

Very good suggestions, Phil.  I haven't come across foil being used.  

I also brass pins but have honed my soldering so that I rarely use any washer or pen.  I use a pointed iron bit, NOT tinned, with just a few molecules of solder.  I also file the pin heads down to virtually nothing (just enough to stop the pin going right through) and insert the pin from the BACK.

Archived