"There's nothing worse than boredom" - or so someone said to me not that long ago. How right they are!

So here I found myself staring at a recently revealed space of 9ft by 2ft in the spare bedroom. With one recently completed novice layout on the opposite wall, I needed something to get me going with my next project. No way was anything else going in that space apart from my next layout.

"Oh no, not another GWR terminus" I hear the cry...but is there anything wrong with that? In my opinion, it seems over the past few years as if the magazines have been flooded with East Coast layouts, or, train sets where the trains just thunder past with little shunting action at a station. If the layout has a station that is. However, each to their own. As for me, a sleepy GWR branch line terminus, the right locos and stock and plenty of shunting and operational interest to keep me happy then all is good in the world.

Now, I have chosen to base this new layout within the South West of England around the old S&D region. I happened to spring upon an copy of Hornby Magazine under the coffee table from last year containing the plans for their Operation Build It. Next thought - "Why not?"

So, plenty of planning and a layout name selecting session later, the decision was made to name the layout 'Berry Pomeroy' (as it is a lovely place without ever having a rail connection near Totnes and also because the name oozes GWR atmosphere) and to build the layout matching very closely with the Operation Build It plans.

Total length of layout = 9ft x 2ft.

Scenic section = 6ft x 2ft

Fiddle = 3ft x 2ft

Superb handiwork with the baseboard construction with a fellow RM Web member resulted in the baseboards ready to go and just requiring the back scene boards to be fitted in due course before track laying can begin.

I am looking forward to using the superb Hornby Skaledale GWR station! 

post-19925-0-13763200-1424207817_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-56911700-1424207895_thumb.jpg

Edited by wigancg
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I would be tempted to add another point on the platform loop and change the point into the goods shed to a single slip, the 4th line connecting with the new point.

That way an incoming goods can shunt directly into the shed.

Stu

Thanks Stu,

Good point. I have planned to have an extra point on the goods shed siding. I thought the layout needed a head shunt of some kind in the yard for shunting arrangements.

I am planning to have the cattle dock up in the loop head shunt out of the way and drop the toad in there when shunting. It will be ready to just pick up and attach later just before departure from the loop down the branch again.

Chris

If anyone would be so kind as to provide me with some helpful advice here then I would be much appreciated.

Signals...where to place them appropriately on this layout.

A platform starter is an obvious one. However, what about the platform loop? Does this require a semaphore or merely a ground signal for shunting purposes?

I would like to use the loop occasionally for freight departures after a passenger service has arrived.

Plus I intend to use the splendid Dapol GWR lower quadrant signals.

Splendid little inventions and work a treat on the previous layout!

post-19925-0-05990000-1424210081_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Can't have too many GW blts! Looking forward to seeing this develop.

I'm interested in the goods shed, is it from a kit, scratch built or a resin one? It looks like it isn't too big and might be just what I am looking for.

Many thanks for the kind comments, Jules.

As for the goods shed, it is an absoultely superb resin model from the Bachmann Scenecraft range. Excellently detailed and just what I was after really. Not sure whether to repaint the sliding doors from green to brown. Although, the doors on the loco shed are green also, so they may actually match.

Keep you updated on developments over the coming weeks.

Had a productive day today with the new project. With some superb assistance from a fellow RM Web member (NunneyCastle5029) the back scene boards have been fitted, the track plan was finalised with some minor alterations from the Operation Build It plan and the cork underlay for the track bed was laid out, trimmed and glued in place leaving to set overnight.

Here are a few photos from today's progress:

post-19925-0-28673100-1424541835.jpg

post-19925-0-92501200-1424541835.jpg

post-19925-0-99726100-1424541836.jpg

post-19925-0-19429100-1424541838.jpg

post-19925-0-23708400-1424541839.jpg

post-19925-0-78724200-1424541839.jpg

post-19925-0-37835600-1424541840.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I happened on this thread by chance so please excuse the following if you feel so inclined. The comments are made based on the track layout seen in the first image on the previous post.

An inbound freight will presumably run round when it arrives. The stock can then be shunted via the single line into the two sidings at the far end of the picture. One of these sidings appears to be the engine shed, the other (possibly) the siding for the loco coal wagon(s).

How do you propose to shunt the two sidings nearest the camera? Relying on the ability to shunt via the shed road is unwise if there's a chance of a loco being serviced on that siding and using the adjacent (loco coal?) siding as a headshunt will be restricted by the presence of any wagons on that siding.

You would have to run round an arriving train, remove the brake van - which would have to be placed in the yard because you'll need the platform/loop to run round - and then run round again before propelling the wagons via the single line, back into the yard to shunt the near sidings.

The track plan may be increasing the scope for shunting but I fear it could prove very frustrating after a while - and forming up a departing train doesn't look any easier.

I'm not sure how prototypical it is to shunt (loaded) coal wagons through the Goods Shed.

Sorry to put a damper on your plan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've also been debating whether to say anything, and hopefully you will take the following as being helpful.

Whichever line the freight arrives in, the limit as to what can be shunted at anyone time is the length of the platform headshunt. If a tender loco is used, then you may be restricted to only moving one wagon at a time from the front end of the incoming train.

Cheers

Stu

Hello Stu and Ray H,

Thanks for your comments.

Whilst I understand where you're coming from, we have spent many hours exploring the plan (which has been altered from the Hornby Mag one) and looking into the shunting arrangements. Bearing in mind that the space available is limited to 6ft and therefore, pick up goods services will consist of around 5-6 wagons plus brake van, generally hauled by GWR tank engines along with a couple of tender locos.

It is understandable that the shunting arrangements are not of prototypical practice, however, they could be found in certain places where space was limited on small branch termini, for example. I feel that shunting is an important part of our hobby and this arrangement suits my requirements as I really enjoy (as strange as it seems) tying myself up in knots with shunting and spending time solving a shunting puzzle. In time, I will upload some info and photos about how the layout is operated.

Many thanks,

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another productive weekend has just passed with the new layout.

Peco streamline track has been laid along with electrofrog points and has sat nicely on top of the cork underlay. Full wiring has been installed in order to get locos up and running on the layout which has been a great success!

Peco point motors have been installed under each point which will be further wired for operation next weekend alongside the switches within the main control panel. However, the new Gaugemaster Walkabout controller works a treat. Perfect for shunting manoeuvres within the yard. :derisive:

Here are a few recent photos after track laying, wiring and point motor installation.

post-19925-0-57745400-1425323841.jpg

post-19925-0-90093400-1425323859.jpg

post-19925-0-67098600-1425323861.jpg

post-19925-0-07137200-1425323876.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of recent weekends, the main wiring has been completed, control panel installed and trains are now fully operational and running excellently around all parts of Berry Pomeroy terminus. Point motors have been fully installed and wired and work just as superb and with full throttle from an excellent CDU.

Some modelling has also taken place during a couple of recent days off work due to illness (I mean, what better way to relax and recover?) as the goods shed has been repainted to GWish colours that match the soon to be installed station building, the loco shed doors have been repainted and the scenic break road bridge has been constructed, suitably painted and weathered in order to begin constructing the embankments around.

Next stage will see construction of the platforms, installation of the platform starter signal as well as ballasting. Anyone had a go at using the Ballast Bond stuff? I'm going to give it a try and see if it beats the old fashioned PVA, water and washing up liquid job.

Also, we have welcomed a new visitor to the fleet...a lovely new BR green 64xx tank. So, plenty goings on at Berry Pomeroy of late.

post-19925-0-87422200-1426453730.jpg

post-19925-0-66000300-1426453731.jpg

post-19925-0-75366800-1426453732.jpg

post-19925-0-95886600-1426453733.jpg

post-19925-0-93302700-1426453734.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

You're right about the name 'Berry Pomeroy' having a GW feel to it, as there was a Castle Class named after the local ruin close to the village (open to the public). You're right in that it is close to Totnes, but it's also close to the Paignton line, and I was just wondering where you had decided that the line would run from? It's pretty hilly either way, but a connection to the Paignton line might offer more interest in terms of locos and traffic?

Good luck with the project, either way!

Hi Chris

Just found this thread & I must say it's shaping up very nicely. I remember I read some time ago that Berry Pomeroy Castle was supposed to be the most haunted castle in England! True or not, I don't know, but here's your chance to have a ghostly figure hovering in the goods shed - as in Dunster goods shed!! The actual loco was a regular performer on the main line out of Paddington, and was one of the commonest of the class during the time I was trainspotting at Southall.

All the best

exmoordave

• Like 1

Thank you for the recent, kind comments everyone.

Jules: I'm sure your paint will turn up sometime soon in a local pick up goods delivery :) Also, I found that the goods shed doors took at least 3/4 coats of paint before the dark green colour underneath disappeared. However, I'm much more happier now it matches the station building colour scheme.

South_Tyne: Thank you for your kind words. The back scene measures 6 inches from baseboard upwards and the fiddle yard entrance back scene with the road over bridge measures 8 inches.

Captain Kernow and exmoordave: Your facts are absolutely true about the location of the real Berry Pomeroy location and GW locomotive. The model location is not really based on a fictional line through the real Berry Pomeroy but I am basing it more within the Somerset area as I'd like to run only a couple of non GWR locos (black fives, N Class) as interlopers from a nearby connection towards the old S&D to Bath. However, as we holiday every year in Totnes, we pass by Berry Pomeroy en route to Paignton for the day and the name has always appealed to me as having that GWR ring to it and one of those 'if only...' moments.

Just been measuring up for building the platforms this evening.

Thanks everyone :)

Kindest regards,

Chris.

South_Tyne: Thank you for your kind words. The back scene measures 6 inches from baseboard upwards and the fiddle yard entrance back scene with the road over bridge measures 8 inches.

Thanks that is really useful! Keep the updates coming  :yes:

Another great weekend has been spent on Berry Pomeroy.

This weekend has seen the installation of the station platform with the beautiful station building and pagoda shed placed on top to gain effect. I have to say for myself that this looks wonderful and is a lovely addition to the developing layout. Also, the platform starting signal has been installed and onto the control panel as well.

In addition, the full (well almost) locomotive fleet has now been moved into the fiddle yard where they can all chat comfortably and simmer in between duties.

Currently, ballasting has commenced around the yard and station using one of the handy Proses ballast spreaders.

Chris

post-19925-0-98973000-1427049922.jpg

post-19925-0-67921000-1427049923.jpg

post-19925-0-68189200-1427049924.jpg

post-19925-0-67077600-1427049925.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update during a busy, messy week on the new layout. This week has seen plenty of ballasting using the new ballast spreader and gluing with the Ballast Bond liquid.

Further on from this has seen plenty of embankment moulding on the back of the layout from the overbridge and around the rear of the station. Papier mache is one of my favourite parts of modelling and, once dry, will be painted brown and grass scatter applied.

Chris :)

post-19925-0-75952800-1427919338.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just a couple of new shots here of the new embankment from the road bridge. This has been such a joy to construct!

Although messy, I really do enjoy using the old fashioned papier mache technique with newspaper and "borrowing" some instant papier mache mix from work helps a treat and sets solid overnight.

As a result, this technique always gives great results and shows effectively the dips and mounds in the embankment shape really well. The whole embankment was painted brown before drying then generously applying PVA glue over the top before adding scatter, hedges and the odd tree here and there.

Once dry, the rest of the ballast around the signal box was added as well as a couple of other detailing parts.

Looking forward to making the next small mound at the front of the layout in the not too distant future! :D

post-19925-0-36233700-1428663400.jpg

post-19925-0-42804200-1428663401.jpg

• Like 6

It's lovely to write about some great detailing progress here on Berry Pomeroy.

Yesterday evening and today has seen plenty of action around the station area. GWR spear fencing has been added, as well as some new platform lamps and a nice flower bed with stone edging around the running in board along with some raised brick flowerbeds. Now, we are just short of people, a few advertisements on the fencing and are awaiting to install a lovely new platform water crane when it arrives in the post and has been painted.

Also, the embankment has had a few extra bushes installed and general detailing around the base of the signal box has been added as well. It's so nice to see plenty of colour beginning to take shape on a new layout and it breathes life into us as modellers as well. :)

Chris

post-19925-0-72316100-1428948554.jpg

post-19925-0-53426200-1428948555.jpg

post-19925-0-97692800-1428948556.jpg

• Like 6

It's been a very productive couple of days recently here on the layout. Plenty of fine details have been carried out around the station and yard. Definitely the odd thing needs touching up here and there. Our hobby is great in that there isn't really a finishing point. There's always something new to add or something that you one day notice that you've missed. At least that's my view anyway :)

Here are some recent photos showing a couple of branch passenger services in the station with a pannier and a lovely railcar. I cannot explain how joyful this is to operate. Super smooth from day one and always gives the 'clicket clack' as it arrives and departs from Berry Pomeroy.

Also, we have a Midland interloper on shed. This 1F is absolutely ideal for shunting the yard and biffing wagons around. A shot taken in some lovely morning sunshine, although it does seem a bit dark. Cameras can be so evil at times. The layout really does look ten times better with the naked eye! Amongst other bits and bobs, I have enjoyed piecing together and painting the fire buckets attached onto the Pagoda shed. One of the lovely Dart Castings items picked up from their excellent stall at York Model Show over Easter.

Chris

post-19925-0-81086300-1429129087_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-63643700-1429129256_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-39599100-1429129258_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-70969100-1429129260_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-26106700-1429129263_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-89999700-1429129264_thumb.jpg

• Like 6