Evening all,

So with work bits and bobs put to one side for the day and a terrible spot of weather today (is it June?), this evening has been devoted to some modelling.

I am in the midst of planning a new smaller shunting layout, something on the scale of 'Drewry Lane'. Smaller than Berry but entertaining to sit alongside Berry on another wall in the spare bedroom. Exciting!

The fireman of 5819 keeps a watchful eye on the platform starter ready for the off with the branch freight down to the junction.

After some running in and detailing parts added, this model, like sister loco 1470 runs lovely and is a joy to shunt around with.

post-19925-0-33956800-1496776524_thumb.jpg

I am considering having the new shunting layout to be more industrial but with a location to suit the GWR and SR. Any ideas gratefully recieved...

Chris :)

• Like 7

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Brilliant! Looking very smart, I must say I like the lighting. I keep looking at the GWR ones and thinking my platform would look quite smart with them on.

Dare I ask, since the move any space to extend the layout, or are you going to resist doing that?

Nice to see some more pics of BP, and congratulations on the move to 'just outside Totnes'!

We often visit that area, as it it where my Dad was from so I have many happy memories of visiting my Grandparents, and the Dart Valley Railway as it was then!

• RMweb Premium

Hello to all,

Well, it certainly has been a while since I posted on here...much has happened!

Firstly, Berry Pomeroy is still operational and running well. However, the layout no longer resides in Wigan, Lancashire. I took the plunge and moved home, work and life down to lovely South Devon in November to live just outside Totnes. Perfect as this is where the layout is based with the fictional branch to Berry Pomeroy from Totnes.

Having left the dreadful world of teaching I am no longer stressed out, tired and anxious - plus, on an equally brighter note, I have plenty of time for modelling and running sessions during the evenings and weekends! Bonus!!!

So, here are a few updates...

I fancied having a dabble into the Bachmann world of 'Just Plug' lighting. I am very impressed with the ease of installation and the ready to plant lamposts etc on offer as well as LED lighting patches that can be discretely inserted to buildings to give a warm glow effect in stations, signalboxes, houses etc.

I placed a lovely 1930s era concrete street lamp in the yard here at Berry Pomeroy to give a soft, warm glow just bright enough to illuminate the Land Rover underneath as well as the small bits of yard junk underneath.

attachicon.gifDSC_1102.JPG

Additionally, I placed a small bit of walling around the base of the platform water crane. Whilst it may not have been the usual norm, I have found that this finishes off the crane perfectly and covers any colour differences between the crane base and the platform.

attachicon.gifDSC_1100.JPG

Finally, as we are now firmly based in South Devon, here is 9654 and fireman Ted Pennyman basking in the sunshine at Berry Pomeroy in between shunting duties after bringing in the branch freight from Totnes.

attachicon.gifDSC_1108.JPG

Thanks for looking and enjoy your modelling bliss.

Good news Chris. Hope you stocked up on mint balls before the move. You'd better update the Location field in your RMweb profile now...

• Like 1

Brilliant! Looking very smart, I must say I like the lighting. I keep looking at the GWR ones and thinking my platform would look quite smart with them on.

Dare I ask, since the move any space to extend the layout, or are you going to resist doing that?

Thank you very much indeed. I rather like the GWR ones too and I may be tempted into the near future to install them on the platform.

I have no plans to extend the layout at the current moment. I now live in a lovely converted barn in the rural bliss of the Devon countryside to the south of Totnes, going towards Kingsbridge and the "railway room" is large enough to accommodate Berry Pomeroy in its current size which is great. However, I would very much like to see the other side of the road bridge coming into the terminus. This would be ideal for use with shunting I think - allowing the locomotive to run to the bracket signal on the approach to the road bridge.

Ideally, I would like something akin to the bracket signal approaching Ashburton Junction on the South Devon Railway. One for the platform, one for the loop and a smaller arm for the yard.

post-19925-0-17916100-1516098661_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Nice to see some more pics of BP, and congratulations on the move to 'just outside Totnes'!

We often visit that area, as it it where my Dad was from so I have many happy memories of visiting my Grandparents, and the Dart Valley Railway as it was then!

Thanks Jules.

The area is lovely and I have always had a wish to live around here for many years now. As a bonus, I can now increase my volunteer work as a guard and booking clerk on the South Devon Railway in between work commitments.

• Like 1

Good news Chris. Hope you stocked up on mint balls before the move. You'd better update the Location field in your RMweb profile now...

Thank you very much for the kind words :)

Oh yes, Uncle Joe's are well stocked in the cupboard for running session purposes, as are the different variety of pies for munching on after a hard day at work or after a thoroughly good modelling session! Hurrah!

You can take the boy out of Wigan but... :mosking:

Chris

• Like 1

Hello,

We have a fairly new a recent addition to the branch line life here at Berry Pomeroy.

I've had an eye on one of Oxford Rail's lovely Dean Goods locomotives for some time now and, during a lunch break whilst on rostered duties on the South Devon Railway, I happened to purchase one...

post-19925-0-33262200-1516708027_thumb.jpg

She does run beautifully and is incredibly well detailed. I have since added lamps, coal in the tender and she is awaiting crew from the Dart Castings range as we speak.

post-19925-0-07319400-1516708011_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-31064800-1516708048_thumb.jpg

She will be used on branch pick up freights in between the usual prairie and pannier tanks (when they require a visit back to Newton Abbot shed, of course) :)

I'm sure she will become "a very useful engine" and will fit in just nicely into Devon branch line life.

• Like 9

Hi Chris, looks like a good move, My wife and I had Sight and Sound a Video and Record Shop in Buckfastleigh, (now a Kebab House) opposite Ratio in Mardel Way, we lived in Buckfast, but I rarely ventured down to the Dart Valley Railway much, as I was into Continental Railways at the time, I now know the errors of my ways.

It's a wonderful part of the world, and portrayed so beautifully on BP.

All the best

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Chris, looks like a good move, My wife and I had Sight and Sound a Video and Record Shop in Buckfastleigh, (now a Kebab House) opposite Ratio in Mardel Way, we lived in Buckfast, but I rarely ventured down to the Dart Valley Railway much, as I was into Continental Railways at the time, I now know the errors of my ways.

It's a wonderful part of the world, and portrayed so beautifully on BP.

All the best

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the kind words.

Oh, I see. It's certainly a small world. I regularly visit Buckfastleigh town centre and, before moving permanently down to Totnes, I used to stay in the Globe Inn when down for a week's holiday working/volunteering on the South Devon Railway. I shall certainly look out for your previous shop when I next pop into the town centre. I often walk around the grounds of Buckfast Abbey during lovely evenings during the summer and I visit the barber's in Buckfast next to the Post Office! It's always delightful to walk down to the abbey grounds after a hearty meal at The Abbey Inn on a summer's evening.

Do you still live in or around Buckfast, Totnes, Buckfastleigh?

Best wishes,

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the kind words.

Oh, I see. It's certainly a small world. I regularly visit Buckfastleigh town centre and, before moving permanently down to Totnes, I used to stay in the Globe Inn when down for a week's holiday working/volunteering on the South Devon Railway. I shall certainly look out for your previous shop when I next pop into the town centre. I often walk around the grounds of Buckfast Abbey during lovely evenings during the summer and I visit the barber's in Buckfast next to the Post Office! It's always delightful to walk down to the abbey grounds after a hearty meal at The Abbey Inn on a summer's evening.

Do you still live in or around Buckfast, Totnes, Buckfastleigh?

Best wishes,

No unfortunately, we moved back to Ampshire,! and then up to Derbyshire where I am now, I do miss the area though. 

• Like 1

No unfortunately, we moved back to Ampshire,! and then up to Derbyshire where I am now, I do miss the area though. 

Ah well, give me a shout if you're ever down in the area and if you pop down to the South Devon Railway, Andy :)

Chris

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Afternoon everyone,

It's nice to be back on here and thank you to Nick and St Enodoc for their kind comments.

Here's a quick shot of 1470 simmering in the loop as the fireman keeps an eye out on the ground signal. Signalman Alf must be taking his time in pulling those levers.

74155828_10156809933056463_4477432139687657472_o.jpg.01915c0a3742ddb30f50b66ac588a42b.jpg

• Like 11

On 05/12/2019 at 02:36, AireValley1962 said:

Heigh-ho, Chris! Good to see you back, and what a grand job working for the railway.

Looking forward to some more of your excellent modelling. 

Cheers,

William 

Thanks William. It's great to be back and reconnect with everyone.

All the best,

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Afternoon everyone,

Not much has gone on in terms of change here at BP over the last few months since the house purchase and move.

A couple of locomotives surplus to requirements have been sold to slim down the stockpile slightly. I'm working on putting together and painting the remaining point rodding for the yard though.

Here we see 9794 simmering at the platform waiting to head back down the branch with a couple of empty cattle wagons:

IMG_20200210_225223_131.jpg.65f01379a621b0decbb8aa431ab7cac5.jpg

I'm looking to also make a few additions to the allotments as well and see what else can be grown...watch this space! 

So long for now and looking forward to those long hazy summer days...

Chris

• Like 15