Hi Chris

I will have to check the cold frames against my standard man I use for scale height checking!

Mayshill is slightly slumbering at the moment, I get to operate it once or twice a week, but haven't really had much time for modelling or taking photos - too much to do outside, plus holidays etc!

Cheers

Jules

• Like 1

Hi Chris

I will have to check the cold frames against my standard man I use for scale height checking!

Mayshill is slightly slumbering at the moment, I get to operate it once or twice a week, but haven't really had much time for modelling or taking photos - too much to do outside, plus holidays etc!

Cheers

Jules

Hi Jules,

I know the feeling, although the joy with our layouts is that when summer is over, it isn't really over on Mayshill or Berry Pomeroy! :)

Enjoy the rest of the warm weather this year.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jules,

I know the feeling, although the joy with our layouts is that when summer is over, it isn't really over on Mayshill or Berry Pomeroy! :)

Enjoy the rest of the warm weather this year.

Cheers,

Chris

Spot on, Chris. As you know, on the Mid-Cornwall Lines it is always a summer Friday or Saturday.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a short while since the last update on here at Berry Pomeroy, mainly due to having a lovely week's holiday in North Norfolk as well as other outdoor activities. A visit was paid to the NNR at Sheringham and it is a lovely line as I had never visited before. Also, I managed to get down to the Bure Valley Railway and this line was a pleasure. Such lovely scenery and a thoroughly enjoyable journey of 45 minutes each way. Very highly recommended...oh, and such a well stocked model shop too at Alysham. A large amount of time (and money) was spent there. Ooops!

Also, whilst staying over in Cromer, I stumbled across a lovely little model shop too opposite the Tourist Info place. Not much in the way of locos or rolling stock but great for the detailing items that are sometimes difficult to get hold of and the chap is very friendly too. Recommended for a look in if you are in the town.

Anyway, here we have a selection of photos in between some modelling bits and bobs ongoing here at the desk.

Dukedog, 9028, comes to rest at journey's end after arriving with the 13:46.

post-19925-0-69449800-1473012017_thumb.jpg

9028 runs around her Hawksworth coaches ready for the return journey at 14:05.

post-19925-0-47400900-1473012023_thumb.jpg

It looks as though the carriages could do with a wet sponge and some soapy suds. Still, a tad gentle weathering helps to show their hard work in service.

post-19925-0-81113900-1473012028_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-65504100-1473012012_thumb.jpg

Chris :)

• Like 13

• 1 month later...

Well, it seems that things have been rather quiet of late here at Berry Pomeroy. It's sad that I find little time in the week to model in between work duties at the moment but an hour or so a few times in the week is relaxing and stress free before bed time.

Anyway, I have managed to get round to doing one of the jobs on the 'to do' list - the new, better station nameboard. I do always look at the one on the platform currently and dislike it as it isn't very GWRish, so, here is the alternative improved version with proper GWR font for the name.

The shorter board does look better and I'm looking forward to getting round to fitting in onto the platform later this evening.

post-19925-0-96580200-1476018169_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

And so here is the finished product which looks much better than its predecessor in my opinion. I always like the shorter but wider GWR nameboards on stations and the smaller font sits nicely. I did experiment and toy with the idea of each word on a separate line, having Pomeroy underneath Berry but, somehow, it didn't seem to work or look right on screen.

Anyway, no matter, this is how it's staying and I'm pleased with it at last.

post-19925-0-40576300-1476042886_thumb.jpg

Also, whilst today was a Sunday, Dr Anthony Bartley was down at the station this morning catching the 10:45 to Harbourton. Perhaps he's off to see a sick patient or to London for a meeting/conference next week? Who knows, however, Mrs Bartley was right in making sure he had his umbrella with him. We are in England after all and this weather of ours...!

post-19925-0-09023200-1476042892_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-75891400-1476042896_thumb.jpg

Enjoy your relaxing time with your modelling, everyone :)

Chris

• Like 17

• 1 month later...

Evening everyone,

It's been over a month since I last posted on here but, unfortunately, there hasn't been much on the modelling front recently due to work commitments, a much needed holiday to South Devon (which was bliss as always) and attending exhibitions with the model shop. However, this weekend has been rather quiet so modelling has triumphed!

In the early morning sunlight, 9608 brings the early morning pick up goods into the terminus in between the timetabled passenger trains. This locomotive has been weathered a great deal for an end of steam look and, whilst she is not used often, is different to the norm here at Berry Pomeroy.

Here, we can see her scorched smokebox door, missing number plate and generally unkempt condition with grime layers and limescale stains.

What on earth is going on at 83A depot? Surely this wasn't true?

post-19925-0-60242200-1479064758_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-55592800-1479064763_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-88059400-1479064766_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-89987700-1479064770_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Lovely pictures as always, Chris.  I really like the lighting in them - it really brings them to life.

Thank you, William. Very kind of you to say so.

The lighting is just the normal, soft lighting used overhead. A warm white glow is usually the best I find.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening everyone,

Again, it has been a few weeks since I last posted on here but the modelling does continue, even if it is just odd bits and bobs such as loco or yard detailing of an evening. I'm certainly looking forward to some rest over the upcoming holiday period...more time for modelling and layout running too!

Last month saw the SVR's final steam gala of 2016 and it didn't disappoint. Always a good turn out with locos I managed to enjoy some photogaphy on the Sunday and the cold and rain didn't spoil it either. I was quite pleased with the results for an amateur photographer.

7812 'Erlestoke Manor' glides effortlessly into Highley.

post-19925-0-63606300-1480881319_thumb.jpg

'813' hammers up Erdington bank in reverse heading towards Bridgnorth. Such a shame this gorgeous loco wasn't paired up with those lovely toplight coaches.

post-19925-0-27107000-1480881349_thumb.jpg

My personal favourite - 4566 and 7812 storming Erdington bank...the noise was wonderful!

post-19925-0-58480000-1480881377_thumb.jpg

Anyway, back to some modelling...I finally managed to secure the second of my Hornby Collett coaches, a corridor third to match the third brake. I didn't give them much thought when they first came out but they certainly have grown on me. With a touch of weathering on the lower part and closer couplings, they are used regularly here at Berry Pomeroy.

post-19925-0-61598800-1480881216_thumb.jpg

Here, 7739 awaits departure with the set.

post-19925-0-63703000-1480881238_thumb.jpg

The fireman takes a breather before the journey commences.

post-19925-0-07262000-1480881266_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Well as the festive season is upon us and work draws to a close and to be put on hold for a couple of weeks or so (hurrah), there'll be plenty of time for spots of modelling and running sessions on the layout.

Recently, I have had odd little maintenance jobs to do on it. Bits of greenery, foliage and scenic details to just nip up with a spot of two of glue and add a few detailing bits here and there, such as old piles of sleepers in the yard as as well as topping up the coal pile in the yard from the mineral wagons near the bunkers. I do often like little odd jobs such as this of an evening to pass the time.

Here are a few photos...

One of the yard workers seems to enjoy having a good natter with the local 'Bobby', especially when it involves a bit of gossip about the young rascals who live in the village and their antics. Best keep an eye on them!

post-19925-0-52491000-1482181608_thumb.jpg

I rather like this shot. Not much to see really but I wanted to grab a focal point of the period road sign for the small lane going over the fiddle yard entrance brick bridge and up the hill towards the village somewhere beyond (probably a good 1/4 to 1/2 mile away knowing the GWR!)

post-19925-0-30371000-1482181613_thumb.jpg

Finally, a local pick up goods rolls in behind prairie 4560 and we glimpse the guard inside his 'toad' patiently waiting holding his flags in hand.

post-19925-0-60909000-1482181585_thumb.jpg

Enjoy your Christmas time and may it be a happy, peaceful, joyful and filled with modelling delights for you :)

All the best for the New Year,

Chris

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Lovely scenes. Like you I especially like the one with the sign and bridge, it looks like a photo of a real place. The way the tree grows with a slight lean is very effective.

Merry christmas to you also!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a relaxing and joyful Christmas?

A new resident loco has appeared on the branch this week in the form of 14xx tank, 1470 in this gorgeous livery. I have been awaiting eagerly for these superb models and it did not disappoint. The detail is exquisite and such smooth running.

post-19925-0-43275700-1482922793_thumb.jpg

Also, 1470 is well suited to Berry Pomeroy as she was often the branch loco on the Ashburton line for many years in the same livery, circa 1952. Happy days! There are also another two additions to the fleet which will appear in due course...

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone and I hope 2017 has got off to a good start?

Not a lot to post about so far here on Berry Pomeroy as 2017 heads into February (which is good because January is so depressing). However, I have been working on detailing up my Wickham that I purchased over the festive period.

She now has some occupants inside, one of which looks to be taking things rather lazily on the back seat with his legs almost hanging over the side. I am in the process of adding some detailing bits and bobs to the ballast load on the trailer too but for now this is such a superbly running little model and a Western Region one too which was a surprise when I looked at it up close in the shop.

post-19925-0-15615800-1486327853_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-48223800-1486327849_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-02004000-1486327851_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

Things are ticking over nicely as per usual on the layout at Berry Pomeroy...

However, we're excited currently with our own model shop developments as we have recently won a small business award from none other than Dragons' Den star, Theo Paphitis! We got to meet him in person to collect our award and to chat to fellow Dragon, Deborah Meaden on the day as she was one of the guest speakers at the event in Birmingham. Plenty of exciting times ahead now that we're in Mr Paphitis' inner circle of business...

Here we both are collecting our award from Theo Paphitis. I am on the right whilst Kevin, my business partner for the model shop, is on the left.

post-19925-0-18990100-1487505371_thumb.jpg

Enjoy your modelling,

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

Morning all,

Things are ticking over nicely as per usual on the layout at Berry Pomeroy...

However, we're excited currently with our own model shop developments as we have recently won a small business award from none other than Dragons' Den star, Theo Paphitis! We got to meet him in person to collect our award and to chat to fellow Dragon, Deborah Meaden on the day as she was one of the guest speakers at the event in Birmingham. Plenty of exciting times ahead now that we're in Mr Paphitis' inner circle of business...

Here we both are collecting our award from Theo Paphitis. I am on the right whilst Kevin, my business partner for the model shop, is on the left.

attachicon.gifSBS 2017_184 (1024x731).jpg

Enjoy your modelling,

Well done chaps.

Les

Well done chaps.

Les

Hello everyone,

With having a much needed week off work this week, it has given me the opportunity to delve into some modelling and to get the camera out also.

It seems we have some new additions to the fleet here at Berry Pomeroy. Just as well that I didn't go through with my New Year's Resolution of not purchasing anymore locos :sarcastichand:

First off, we have one of the new 14xx/48xx/58xx tanks from DJ Models. I have purchased two of these, one of which, 5819 slumbers outside the shed before duties commence. These are stunning models and surpass the old Hornby versions. Finally, no rubber traction tyres anymore and we can actually shunt at slow speeds with them!

This one is beautiful just like the other one, 1420. I always do like these locos in black, lined or unlined.

post-19925-0-38873500-1487711577_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-07099600-1487711576_thumb.jpg

Secondly, we have 1365, one of the cute 1361 class locos of which there were only 5 built. This is a Heljan model and runs like a dream after spending 30 mins on the rollers this afternoon. Here she is undertaking a spot of shunting around the yard.

post-19925-0-38087800-1487711571_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-67369400-1487711572_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-79953700-1487711574_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-55731400-1487711578_thumb.jpg

I also purchased one of the 1369 locos too back in January. The fun part is yet to come with the fitting of crew. The cab opening is rather small!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Well, it seems that things have been rather quiet of late here at Berry Pomeroy. It's sad that I find little time in the week to model in between work duties at the moment but an hour or so a few times in the week is relaxing and stress free before bed time.

Anyway, I have managed to get round to doing one of the jobs on the 'to do' list - the new, better station nameboard. I do always look at the one on the platform currently and dislike it as it isn't very GWRish, so, here is the alternative improved version with proper GWR font for the name.

The shorter board does look better and I'm looking forward to getting round to fitting in onto the platform later this evening.

attachicon.gifWP_20161009_10_08_20_Pro.jpg

This is very smart, what font did you use?

This is very smart, what font did you use?

If you join the GWR e-list group on Yahoo, the font can be downloaded to Microsoft Word from the Files section. Once downloaded, you can produce what you wish. It is simple to use and took me 5 mins to create once I downloaded it :)

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow modellers,

It's been a few months since I last posted on here so here are a few photographic updates from a couple of bits and bobs with detailing etc.

5819 simmers on shed whilst awaiting her next duty. Fireman Jackson relaxes in the cab in the warm sunshine.

post-19925-0-80189900-1492675961_thumb.jpg

Again, a similar shot but this time highlighting the BR crest. I do have a soft spot for these tank engines, especially when they are less common these days in black in preservation.

post-19925-0-27585300-1492675963_thumb.jpg

Finally, with shunter's truck in tow, 1367 busily shunts the yard after the arrival of the afternoon pick up goods from down the branch. Amongst the wagon and van varieties are a load of pit props needing delivery down the branch to a local small colliery.

post-19925-0-68125000-1492675964_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, I do have a soft spot for the 1366 class of tanks too. Last week I was the Travelling Ticket Inspector behind 1369 on the South Devon Railway as part of a new volunteering venture. Not surprisingly, the models of 1367 in BR black early crest had vanished from the shop as 1369 is currently in the same livery before her boiler ticket expires at the end of May 2017. Such a cracking week and if you adore GWR branch line operations, then the SDR is the place to be!

• Like 8