To’N’bridge West Yard

carlw

• RMweb Premium

Hello all

Firstly Mick what are you doing in a Maccy D's- I thought you are a fussy eater????

I only eat plain hamburgers. In this case, I'd been in the adjacent Greggs and was using the free Wi-Fi............................

Back again for another driving test. Two passes today!

Back on-topic.

My pics of TWY from June 2012.

post-408-0-07894600-1425051891_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-09346100-1425051893_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-56920600-1425051894_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

Hello all

Firstly Mick what are you doing in a Maccy D's- I thought you are a fussy eater????

Carl

Just been having a think about your short EPB turn one coach into test coach Mars which in real life was a converted class 501 driving trailer they were shorter than an EPB.

it survived into NSE livery. Electra do sides for it in blue/grey and NSE.

As for airbrushing I don't do that much (I know that's why my finishes are crappy) on my rolling stock as the next thing we do is weather them anyway, and try to make them look worn. if you plan on NSE livery most of it is transfers from Fox anyway.

I am not much for wiring either and that looks like a mighty lot of wiring you have to do. are you going to make the frogs live on the points for slow running?

looking good though

thanks Steve

Well I thought it would be a good idea to go in the loft and dig out my old units to show the state of some of them. Also some short cuts that I took to have useable units

post-7442-0-74110700-1425053657_thumb.jpg

Jaffa MLV. The big short cut on this was I used a standard 57' BG as this then fitted over a 101 motor. Should be 63'

post-7442-0-09948400-1425053723_thumb.jpg

NSE 4EPB. For this I used 57' suburban coaches again should be 63' so each coach is 1 compartment short. For this I scratch built the cab and it shows when compared to the TPM casting used on the MLV.

post-7442-0-45854700-1425053851_thumb.jpg

Jaffa 4CEP. This never really got finished but the standard is similar to the 4 VEP so with some work can be bought up to a standard I will be happy with.

I think out of the 4 it's only the VEP and CEP that will stay. I think I will remove the cabs from the MLV and use these on a standard Mk1 with Electra graphics for either another MLV or a EPB.

I also have the start of a TPM Wessex somewhere up there but I can't find it at the moment. I only got as far as removing the paint and adding a cab to 1 coach. But the rest of the kit including the transfers are there somewhere.

The frogs are all Electrofrogs so I do intend to make them live from the point motors.

Carl

Edited by carlw
  • Like 2

I only eat plain hamburgers. In this case, I'd been in the adjacent Greggs and was using the free Wi-Fi............................

Back again for another driving test. Two passes today!

Cheers,

Mick

Well done on the Passes you now just have the down side to this job and have to find their replacements.

Thanks for the pics. The yard looks well over run with weeds, I thought that it is kept in a decent state again now that it is the RHTT base?

Carl

Edited by carlw

I have not been able to do a lot of work on the layout this week due to lots of real live work.

I have made a start on laying some of the tracks at the staton end of the yard, but I really do need to get another double slip before I can do much else.

post-7442-0-55549200-1425911888_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Track laying on the station end of the yard has progressed thanks to Chris in Prague who has supplied me with the last double slip needed to complete the yard throat. I have managed to complete the all the remaining track in this area up to where I will connect with the fiddle yard for which I have a mountain of points to purchase ( I only have 5 for them) but this can wait for finances to allow progress in that area.

Next on the list is to make a start on wiring. :,(

post-7442-0-43311300-1426257826_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

It has been almost a month since my last update. Things have progressed slowly over the last few weeks due to my real life work getting really busy. I have now managed to get the 4 mainline fiddle yards done and the connections between the yard and the main lines done. The only track work now left to complete is the fiddle yard for the yard. The plan for this is to have one through road and loads of dead end roads coming off it.

post-7442-0-25346700-1428339162_thumb.jpg

post-7442-0-55540000-1428339256_thumb.jpg

post-7442-0-25584300-1428339707_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Back at the beginning of march i mentioned that i had found a way of constructing my control panel using MS Excel,  I contacted the person who constructed the one i found on the web http://www.stroley-international.co.uk/trackplanelectrics.htm.  He very kindly sent me a copy of his plan so that i had could see how it was constructed.

I have made a start drawing my version of my control panel and it seems to be coming along nicely its only a first draft and will need tweaking as it moves forward.  I have not yet added any of the section control switches or fiddle yard sidings for the yard.  It currently is 6 Pages of A4 paper.

post-7442-0-49788000-1429027238_thumb.jpg

For motorising EMUs you might want to take a look at some of the Japanese chassis from the likes of Tomix. Much more suitable for a 64' vehicle.

Yes I am aware of them, that's whats under the CEP and VEP.

I am either going to use them or the more modern chassis from Bachman.

Carl

I would like to show my upmost gratitude to Paul Wade of TWY fame for 2 CD'S that arrived in the post today.

They contain plans for most of the buildings and 1000's of photos of every square inch of the yard.

These are going to but invaluable for this project even if the wealth of information has just overwhelmed me with how big of a task I have started to undertake. :D

I am still looking forward to this challenge and the joy it shall bring me of the coming years

• Like 1

Carl , looks good , with n guage you really show how space can be used to your advantage , I like your early emu,s , I am sure that now years have moved on you probably have the skills to strip down and re paint and they won,t look out of place, I have enjoyed your thread ,

Update on the Control Panel.

Work has continued to this point which is where its going to stop at the moment (waiting more points for the fiddle yard).  I have added on all the section controls and insulation limits.

The next phase on this will be the construction of the panel, this is going to be strip wood with a hardboard/ply front.  then the print out covered with clear plastic.

Yesterday I ordered all 70 of the DPDT switches for the sections. so once the construction of the panel is complete i can start to wire it and maybe have trains moving within the next couple of weeks time permitting.  Im not looking at wiring points at the moment as this is something i can add in over time (provisions for this has been made when laying the track as all hole are drilled for the motors).

post-7442-0-06335200-1429532550_thumb.jpg

This afternoon I have taken a break from all things electrical and started looking at some structures.

The first thing on my list to look at is the Bridge that is so prominent to the yard and using all the excellent photos that Paul supplied me i started counting bricks to work out some dimensions.

post-7442-0-64992800-1429545289_thumb.jpg

There appears to be 3 types of supports across the yard Version C on the diagram is the most common requiring me to make 7 of them, then 1 of each of the other 2.  Luckily for me the dimensions work out great for using 6mm X 18mm strip wood.  Im going to then cover this with brick paper.

Then I started looking at the steps up to the bridge on the yard side.

post-7442-0-78875400-1429545414_thumb.jpg

This has been a bit of a pain to work out as there is a LOT of weeds around the base.  Construction of this is again going to be brick paper but on this its going to cover card.

So tonight's work consisted of constructing bridge supports.

These have been made using 6mm X 18mm strip cut to 32mm lengths covered with brick paper and topped with a card rectangle representing the concrete pad.

post-7442-0-46313100-1429727122_thumb.jpg

These are the 6 simple ones that are required. At the moment they are not fixed in place until I'm happy with the wiring/ballasting.

• Like 6

Today's work has be taken step by step.

These are the stairs to the bridge on the C&W side. They have been constructed using 1mm thick card. Waiting for the glue to set so that I can file all the sides smooth.

post-7442-0-66569300-1429882497_thumb.jpg

• Like 3