To’N’bridge West Yard

carlw

I have had a couple of spare hours to myself this afternoon, so I took myself up into the loft and did a bit of work on the Jubilee sidings.

I started by finishing the walkway. All the uprights had previously been completed before I ballasted, these were just microstrip that were cut and filed to fit then painted with a concrete colour to represent the blocks on the real thing.

For the horizontal beams again I used microstrip, I painted these using a paint pen I had lying around from a previous project that look the right colour.

The walkways themselves were just embossed plasticard. I painted these BR olive green using a sponge to give it a steaking effect.

post-7442-0-30641300-1467400648_thumb.jpeg

As can be seen in the photo I have also added in the wooden planked walkway across the tracks, I weathered these again with some of the left over brown chalk.

Cheers

Carl

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

Last weekend I had a great time attending Lyddrail, it was a great source of inspiration and motivation. I was also able to glean Paul Wades research photos, for which I very greatful.

The week before I went I was working on a building the shutters lobby for the Redhill end of the yard. It's constructed out of plasticard and microstrip.

post-7442-0-72809500-1470072142_thumb.jpeg

post-7442-0-96147400-1470072340_thumb.jpeg

Another bonus of being there was that while speaking to Richard Dockerill he mentioned that he had a rake of PTA tipplers available for sale, as getting these is really difficult since TPM stopped producing kits I snapped his hand off. Also had to consider that as they were built by Richard the standard of them was going to be very good.

post-7442-0-77650600-1470072473_thumb.jpeg

Since I got back I have painted all the baseboards brown in preparation for scatter, which I ordered this week. I'm going to try and use static grass for the first time, so I thought it best to get my Scottish layout out and use this to experiment on.

Carl

• Like 10

Hi Carl

Layout and new Tippler wagons look great

Keep up the good work

Richard

Thanks Richard,

I havnt forgotten those photos, I have been searching through them all trying to find more from Northampton.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

It's been so long since I last updated this thread as nothing has changed on the layout since September 2016 when I started working Hither Green for this years Lyddrail challenge. That's not to say that I have done nothing as all the stock for Hither Green is really for Tonbridge, well that was the reasoning I gave the wife when she had a bit of a go for starting another layout she I hadn't finished this one.

Please don't judge me but in the last 14 months Tonbridge became a bit of a dumping ground. Here is how it currently looks.

post-7442-0-95319100-1511807178_thumb.jpg

Tonight's plan is to change that and get this all tidy and clear all the crap away. Let's see how I do later.

Cheers

Carl

Ahhh that's better only took just over an hour. I can see where I'm working now, you never know it might mean I add some scenery to the layout now :-).

post-7442-0-92549700-1511812356_thumb.jpg

I can now even navigate around the other end that I'm using as my work bench for the time being.

post-7442-0-61513300-1511812452_thumb.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

Blimey mate there is some crap.

But tell me what do you use the cheese grater for.

And you get on at me about using odd things for modeling.

Think you need a tidy up. No perhaps leave it saves making buildings and scenery.

Steve.

The cheese grater is used for grinding up sticks of pastels for weathering powders.

See what happens when you give me a kick up the back side for not doing and modelling.

Thanks Grahame,

Yeah Steve gave me a bit of a kick up the bum for just working on stock and not getting on with building the layout to run it on. I will get there it's just been Hither Green got in the way, i have a few more things to finish on it then I can push it onto the exhibithion scene (hoping some people will want to see it). Once that is done then Tonbridge will get my attention, even if it's just to make its look a bit more green.

Carl

It's been so long since I have built anything for TWY, and with a kick this morning from Stephen to stop farting around with stock I got to it.

This nice simple model of the Water Tank for the Jubilee siding only took me an hour or so. Made easy by using my Short line Chopper as it was set the measurement and chop multiple bits of plastic all in one go.

post-7442-0-60848200-1512226122_thumb.jpg

I will keep the updates on stock on the Hither Green thread.

Cheers

Carl

Edited by carlw
  • Like 3

Updates on Tonbridge are like Buses, you wait all year for one then two come along in the same day.

First building on this post is the tool shed to go next to the bridge

post-7442-0-42401100-1512238683_thumb.jpg

Second is the redone bike rack ( the first one has warped)

post-7442-0-25894700-1512238695_thumb.jpg

Third is the REB building on the east end of the yard

post-7442-0-43137100-1512238706_thumb.jpg

That's 4 buildings done in one day, all were nice and simple with very few windows to cut out.

Cheers

Carl

• Like 8

Carl, Great work on the tidy up, perhaps Steve needs to be hired out as a "Kick up the Bum" subbie, He'd make a mint .. not many would argue with him! ;)

I like the buildings, I have seen models of them before, but where I wonder ... Sorry Boss! ;)

MC

• Like 1

Carl, Great work on the tidy up, perhaps Steve needs to be hired out as a "Kick up the Bum" subbie, He'd make a mint .. not many would argue with him! ;)

I like the buildings, I have seen models of them before, but where I wonder ... Sorry Boss! ;)

MC

Steve is good at motivating people, it's his sarcastic text messages that do it :-)

• Like 1

Hi,

I have had a couple of hours off this afternoon, So I got on with another easy building to knock up.

This is the Shunters Lamp hut that is situated at the Tonbridge end of the yard. The damaged hole at the bottom is modeled as was on a photo dated 1990.

post-7442-0-48666100-1512481064_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 3

Hi,

Part of the upside and downside to being a driving instructor is you end up having days off especially this time of year, as you quite often hear " I need to cancel my lesson this week as I'm short of money for Christmas". Not good if you need the income, but great for extra modeling time.

So with the day off, after finishing the housework list I was left. I have made a push again today on more buildings.

First up is the stairs onto the bridge on the yard side. The steps were already built ( as can be seen in a previous post). I have added the walls and bridge abutment. Just needs a bit of paint and some detailing.

post-7442-0-86309700-1512663562_thumb.jpg

The second building was affectionally labeled on the end of the shunters lobby as "the Sh1t house" again another simple plasticard construction

post-7442-0-22825000-1512663572_thumb.jpg

Third of the day, I have made a start on the Shunters lobby. This is no easy building as it's lots of windows an odd shape and constructed in what looks like 3 different buildings. It's a mix of bricks and wood panelling.

post-7442-0-85839100-1512663595_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 1

Hi,

I only had a little while in my loft today, so I have done a bit more work on the Shunters lobby.

Today’s efforts were concentrated adding the window frames.

post-7442-0-59619600-1512842516_thumb.jpeg

I have taken the liberty of adding a photo of all the buildings I have at the Tonbridge end of the yard. I’m really pleased with how this scene is coming together.

post-7442-0-68523100-1512842528_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

Today has been a busy day in the loft, after about 4 hours work this is where I have managed to get to.

Tonbridge west yard just wouldn’t look right without its iconic bridge that spans the yard. As you can see in the photos below it is starting to take shape. There is still a bit of work to do with the plastic work in the middle section, But I had enough this afternoon..

Cheers

Carl

post-7442-0-06605700-1518885784_thumb.jpeg

post-7442-0-68389600-1518885804_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11