Model railway clubs in Torbay

davejay

Hi there fellow modellers,

Just wandering if there are any clubs in the Torbay area, I reside just up the road from Tweenaway cross in Paignton, not far from Zoo!!!!.........I've seen musings about an established club in Abbotskerswell but it seems a bit out in the sticks, there must be something nearer to the general populous of Torquay and Paignton surely?!..........also what would it take to start a railway club of my own?.....is there certain criteria?..... and could it be justified?.....there must be a plethora of enthusiasts and modellers down this way in the heart of the Great Western.......I feel a connection to this English Riviera down here, firstly my late Mum was a Toquay 'maid' and I've recently moved from where all things Great Western were once made.......Doncaster........come on seriously........ Swindon!! So when I see the Prairies and Manor running past Goodrington sands and the Collett goods and Panniers at Buckfast I instantly think of the house I lived in in Swindon which on the exact site of the famous 'A' (erecting) shop!

Enough of the chat for now, just hope someone can help with my quest.

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave, you would think the Torbay area could support a club of some sort  Know the area fairly well as we have relatives there and have supported the local railway many times.  Sorry thats no help but I envy you living in such a lovely area of the South West.

Brian.

In a land far, far away!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

We are here in the South Devon area. There is an established club in Plymouth, also Exeter, which is what you would expect. There is also the Abbotskerswell club, as you've mentioned, plus one (I believe) in Dawlish.

Then there's the Devon Riviera Area Group (aka 'DRAG') of the Scalefour Society, which meets twice a month in Holcombe (village between Dawlish and Teignmouth). I really can't say whether there is a club in the actual Paignton area or not, certainly haven't heard of one, but that isn't to say there isn't one! There is a good model shop in Paignton town centre, as you may know, so you could try asking in there.

The club at Abbotskerswell actually began in Torquay, originally meeting at 'Torbay Model Railway Supplies' in Ellacombe before moving to the  garage of Railwayrod's then house in Babbacombe for a while. After having to move a number of times it ended up at it's present site where it has now been for quite a few years. I dropped out of the club many years ago (as did Rod) and have no connection with it now. They have an open day once a year.

• 1 year later...

EXE Model Railway Society located Exeter.

Exhibition next weekend 2nd and 3rd of July www.exemrs.co.uk

We have a member that comes from Brixham our late Exhibition Manage lived Kingsbridge for a few years, he was also  member of Twickenham MRC whilst living in Devon

Hope this helps.

Kevin Staddon

Hon' Secretary, EXE Model Railway Society

Archived