GWR 1813 class with side tanks

• RMweb Gold

A long shot I guess:

I'm thinking about building a GWR 1813 class 0-6-0s with side tanks. A handful of these were still around during my 1900s period. It would probably be a scratchbuilt body on a Bachmann 8750 chassis. It might be no. 1853 with S4 boiler and dome.

But drawings and photos are scarce. Apart from what I've listed below, does anyone else know of drawings or photos of these locos in side tank condition? The S4 boiler variety would be especially good, as all I've got of that is a small rear quarter view.

Russel vol 1:

p 95 No. 1850 S0 domeless boiler

RCTS part 5:

fig E3 No. 1846 S0 domeless boiler

fig E26 No 1852 S0 domeless boiler

fig E28 No. 1853 S4 domed boiler

I have the basic dimensions for boiler, firebox, wheelbase and overhangs from the RCTS, and there's a sketch drawing by Jim Champ here: http://gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html

But no dimensioned drawing and the RCTS pics are tiny!

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried the list of drawings you can download from the NRM?

drduncan

Good idea, I wasn't aware of those lists - thanks!

The only photos I have seen are later ones when the loco had been altered to pannier tanks. I believe the class was very similar to the 1854 class apart from the tanks.

Don

Yes they were quite similar, although they started off with 4'6" wheels. Later they were given the 4'7½" wheels. But funnily enough, when I measured the Bachmann 8750 wheels they were closer to a scale 4'6 than 4'7½.

It's a good point though that I can look at the pannier (and saddle) tank versions to geet an idea about the width of the frame - that and the smokebox set-up for the S4 boilers is the main grey area for me right now. I wonder if the smokebox can be gleaned for other locos with those boilers...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for setting that straight Simon. I can't see from the RCTS volume when the thicker tyres were fitted. I don't know how often tyres were replaced.

I hope I can get away with the Bachmann chassis for this project. I have no less than three of them sitting in a drawer gathering dust. An initial trial and measurement suggests that there will be room for the 8750 chassis and mechanism under the body with little modification.

...the smokebox set-up for the S4 boilers is the main grey area for me right now. I wonder if the smokebox can be gleaned for other locos with those boilers...

The S2 and S4 boilers were interchangeable between several engines including the Dean Goods and most of the large saddle tanks. The smokebox would be the shorter (non-extended0 variety which was around 2'10" long. You can see the dotted outlines of this arrangement on many of the saddle tank drawings in Russell. As to wheels, there are so many dimensional compromises in an 00 wheel that I wouldn't worry about it.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Nick - a critical bit of info. I suppose that's why the RCTS appendix to the six-coupled tanks refers to "2301" for this group of boilers and fireboxes - something I had been wondering about.

This project is intended as an experience- and confidence building project in scratchbuilding loco bodies, so I'm reasonably pragmatic about it. I thought this boxy class might be a gentler beginning than the saddletanks and curvy tender locos I would like to try later.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Simon, and yes the Bachmann wheelbase is right.

Incidentally, Quarryscapes of this parish has done a Dean goods smokebox front on Shapeways, which might come in handy for this project: http://www.shapeways.com/product/KVYUUSZNY/gwr-stella-dean-goods-smokebox-front-00?li=search-results-1&optionId=43492397

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mikkel

M&L/Alan Gibson do/did a 633 class side tank which is not too dissimilar and has the same wheelbase.  This could form the basis for this project.  IIRC, this whitemetal kit comes with condensing gear and a belpaire firebox which will need adjusting.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter, thanks for that. I once had a Gibson 633 (a secondhand item). It was a very good slow runner, but alas I sold it off some years ago as it was out of place on my layout. It never occurred to me at the time that the chassis could be used for other locos (plus, I really needed the money!).

I see this as an exercise in scratchbuilding loco bodies, so I think I'll go with that and the Bachmann chassis for now. Then later down the road I may have a go at building a chassis of some sort. But I like gentle learning curves :-)

Archived