Hornby Class 71

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

£24 more? 

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/locomotives/diesel-electric-locomotives/class-71.html

Hornby has a MRP of £124.99. Is the DJM one £100? I've always seen the DJM Class 71 listed at £125.00 unless only the guys who funded it got it for £100.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/52388/R3374-Hornby-Class-71-Electric-Locomotive-number-71-012-BR-Blue

• RMweb Premium

The price of £124.99 is without the VAT applied that would give a UK price of £149

If that is applied to the DJM ones they then become around £107 maintaining the differential.

.Do we really believe the 15th May 2016 estimated release date  -  or is this another part of the game ?

Why would you not?   It's 22 10* months away and there clearly is a running sample.

I thought it interesting that the running sample is in maroon, yet the items available for preorder are in blue and green.

(A collectors' club alternative perhaps?)

EDIT:

* Apologies for the crummy arithmetic.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Why would you not? It's 22 months away and there clearly is a running sample.

I thought it interesting that the running sample is in maroon, yet the items available for preorder are in blue and green.

(A collectors' club alternative perhaps?)

Don,t you mean 11 months? Edited by JSpencer

I must admit the price is in DJMs favour right now although Hornby could well be out first.

I will refrain from saying which I think will be the better model as that will be a flame topic only resolved once both are physically released, however Hornby also has advantages in that they have the preserved member and people do not need to pay upfront.

The heavy weight of the Hornby model might hint that sound fitting may be harder (we know DJM has a space for that) and the 8 pin chip on an electric could create some DCC control constraints as said before.

The drive system (potential) on steam locomotives by DJM looks to be superior to anyone right now, with diesels it's not so clear cut.

The drive system for DJM steam engines looks like scaled up N gauge practice. It allows finer connecting and coupling rods as stresses are moved away from them to the gear train. At the same, it uses a split chassis (equally required to fit all those gears) removing the need for wiper pickups.

There are some disadvantages to this, it seems people into P4 cannot convert them easily (I guess until some after market person invents conversion wheel sets for them, at this time only the well tank actually exists so no point in inventing wheel sets for other locos just yet). The second is, you cannot use spring axles.

I am thrilled to see this loco announced.  I do not initially intend to add one to my layout as its well outwith my era, but there are a few reasons I am excited that Hornby is producing this:

1) it shows that Hornby is keen to produce niche models (as only 24  Class 71 were produced).

2) Hornby are brave enough to tackle 'electrics' and models with a pantograph and not just a funnel!

3) They are using the latest scanning and 3D Rapid prototyping to ensure absolute accuracy.  

So, based on the above, Hornby can now turn their attention to another Electric that was built in larger numbers?   If Hornby are displaying the ability to go for the niche models (and you can add the P2 in to this group) then surely there is mileage in a new Class 86 or 87 or 91?

Cheers.

Dave

Edited by DaveClass47

If they can do a  Class 71, then why not a.....

I am thrilled to see this loco announced.  I do not initially intend to add one to my layout as its well outwith my era, but there are a few reasons I am excited that Hornby is producing this:

1) it shows that Hornby is keen to produce niche models (as only 24  Class 71 were produced).

2) Hornby are brave enough to tackle 'electrics' and models with a pantograph and not just a funnel!

3) They are using the latest scanning and 3D Rapid prototyping to ensure absolute accuracy.  

So, based on the above, SURELY Hornby can now turn their attention to another Electric that was built in larger numbers - The CLASS 91 locomotive! (with new MK4 DVT).   If Hornby are displaying the ability to go for the niche models (and you can add the P2 in to this group) then surely there is mileage in a new Class 91, or even a new Class 87?

If you agree, check out my poll "Who wants a newly tooled Class 91?" AND badger Hornby DIRECTLY with email suggestions that a new 91 is NEEDED!, and needed ASAP!

Cheers.

Dave

Indeed, I was very much surprised when I saw the Class 71 listed on the Hornby website a week ago. I'm glad they are venturing out into new electrics. Certainly a Class 91 is needed. There is many more also - Class 86, Class 87, Class 92. Bachmann have taken up the Class 90 (I often hoped they did that first rather than the Class 85).

Indeed, I was very much surprised when I saw the Class 71 listed on the Hornby website a week ago. I'm glad they are venturing out into new electrics. Certainly a Class 91 is needed. There is many more also - Class 86, Class 87, Class 92. Bachmann have taken up the Class 90 (I often hoped they did that first rather than the Class 85).

Yeah I felt the same about the 85...although I might get one just to start my electrics collection.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by DaveClass47

Yeah I felt the same about the 85...although I might get one just to start my electrics collection.  But I am ITCHING for a new 91.   Almost praying for one lol.

I would plead with everyone to drop a email to Hornby customer services asking politely for a newly tooled 91 and Mk4 DVT.

The more people who do it the more Hornby will sit up and listen.  Oh I hope they do!!  My layout is crying out for a new 91/DVT/MK4 rake in Intercity swallow livery.

Cheers

Dave

I'll surely contact Hornby from time to time. My personal interest is a Class 86. Honestly I hate the Heljan attempt. I wish Hornby could do one. I think Bachmann would have achieved more sales if the did the Class 86 also rather than the Class 85. That being said Hornby, Dapol, DJM etc. also have an opportunity to do these models.

Edited by WDP4D

Saw the 71 which is based on our laser scan on Tuesday last week whilst down at the new Sandwhich office in other business. I have to say, despite always knowing she was going to be a great model, I was quite taken aback by just how impressive the running sample is. Also, her weight! If that weight is carried through to retail then I can see the 71 being run a lot on the garden railway followed by a full rake.

She really does look amazing and May next year will hopefully see Hornby on the receiving end of some well deserved plaudits and praise.

Saw the 71 which is based on our laser scan on Tuesday last week whilst down at the new Sandwhich office in other business. I have to say, despite always knowing she was going to be a great model, I was quite taken aback by just how impressive the running sample is. Also, her weight! If that weight is carried through to retail then I can see the 71 being run a lot on the garden railway followed by a full rake.

She really does look amazing and May next year will hopefully see Hornby on the receiving end of some well deserved plaudits and praise.

Well now I really cannot wait for it! Very excited about this model. Since you do the scanning...please pester them to do an AC electric mate :P I'm sure Dave (DaveClass47) will agree to it too. :P

• RMweb Gold

I would plead with everyone to drop a email to Hornby customer services asking politely for a newly tooled 91 and Mk4 DVT.

The more people who do it the more Hornby will sit up and listen.  Oh I hope they do!!  My layout is crying out for a new 91/DVT/MK4 rake in Intercity swallow livery.

Cheers

Dave

I'm not sure what relevance this has to Hornby's - or anyone's - Class 71. The 71 was a 750 v dc loco, whether on conductor rail or OLE, and ran in SE London and Kent. The market for such a model is quite different from that for 25kv ac locos running north of London. I will not be pleading with Hornby for anything, thanks.

I'm not sure what relevance this has to Hornby's - or anyone's - Class 71. The 71 was a 750 v dc loco, whether on conductor rail or OLE, and ran in SE London and Kent. The market for such a model is quite different from that for 25kv ac locos running north of London. I will not be pleading with Hornby for anything, thanks.

Easily see why you have misunderstood Dave's post. In simple terms he's pointed out that Hornby have now broken the trend of usually sticking to steam locos and coaching stock for a majority of the time. Even the diesels are few and far between. I don't think you have to take that post in such a literal manner mate. I'm sure Dave knows what the Class 71 is. :)

Dave has simply pointed this out and requested those who are interested to suggest a Class 91 to Hornby for a re-tool. Yes you are entirely right about the Class 71's routes and what not, but at the end of a day it's an electric locomotive and so is the Class 91 (this is what Dave is highlighting here).