Hornby Class 71

Multiple identity account

And the one without small yellow panel:

23012185859_0eac03da12_h.jpgWarley Model Railway Show @ NEC by Steven Hughes, on Flickr

22752983483_33039bb703_h.jpgWarley Model Railway Show @ NEC by Steven Hughes, on Flickr

Of course, I am going to always remain biased when it comes to the class 71 (for obvious reasons). But the man in the photo is the real star of the 71. Hornby's Carl Hart is the chap that took our Laser scan and used it as build ref for all his incredible CAD work. His attention to detail and passion for exceptional product is 2nd to none. Dam nice chap too.

Edited by doublecee
  • Like 6

Of course, I am going to always remain biased when it comes to the class 71 (for obvious reasons). But the man in the photo is the real star of the 71. Hornby's Carl Hart is the chap that took our Laser scan and used it as build ref for all his incredible CAD work. His attention to detail and passion for exceptional product is 2nd to none. Dam nice chap too.

Wish I could meet the man.... I am waiting for this model to release.

I was looking forward to a blue one, but (unusually for me), I'm very impressed with the green version. I can't backdate the layout any earlier or I run the risk of having to buy a kettle, and THAT will never do.

• Like 1

I was looking forward to a blue one, but (unusually for me), I'm very impressed with the green version. I can't backdate the layout any earlier or I run the risk of having to buy a kettle, and THAT will never do.

Doesn't that green look wonderful? I think it suits the Class 71

Just been looking at the new Hornby year book. On page 15 there is a good photo of the class 71 2nd EP. What's intersting is that you can see the Boster set behind the window. A la blue box Cl 43. That would be really great! Anybody who saw it at Warley can confirm?

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks like Hornby have done a terrific job with these, well done them!! Nice to have a good news Hornby story to talk about given all the stuff on their financial position.

• RMweb Gold

What is amusing is that there is debate over on the Bachmann pages about how difficult/complex/expensive/defy the laws of physics it would be to have a working pantograph on the new Bachmann Class 90, despite Hornby having had one on its Railroad 90 for years and now have a very pleasant looking working pantograph on the 71.

The 71 is a lovely looking model.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What is amusing is that there is debate over on the Bachmann pages about how difficult/complex/expensive/defy the laws of physics it would be to have a working pantograph on the new Bachmann Class 90, despite Hornby having had one on its Railroad 90 for years and now have a very pleasant looking working pantograph on the 71.

The 71 is a lovely looking model.

Not quite correct. The Bachmann argument is about whether they can make a fine scale working Brecknell Willis pantograph which can collect current without ending up looking heavy and compromised and without inflating the cost by a significant amount. If people are happy with the Hornby Brecknell Willis pan then fine but personally I think it'd be a huge disappointment if that is to be the standard of the Bachmann Class 90 given how clumsy it looks. And making a good looking diamond arm pan is a lot easier than a good looking current collecting Brecknell Willis. There is also a legitimate argument that given the Bachmann price rises, and given that it is unlikely that many will use working overhead lines for power then would it be sensible to add much to the cost of the model should a fine scale current collecting Brecknell Willis pan bump the final cost up.

Why does it have both tail lights on, I thought they only used one during the 70s/80s?

One of those things that wouldn't carry over from the prototype to models maybe; people would complain that their model is broken or Hornby are just trying to save money etc., etc.

Oh good,I know where you can get one soon ;-)

Would that be on post #495 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88264-oo-gauge-class-71-electric-locomotive/page-20&do=findComment&comment=1860567

I sat down to think of this and collate ideas of what i'd like to say, but above all else, i don't want to

compare that competitors model with 'our' one and draw either positive or negative comparisons

As this would be unfair and very unprofessional.

• 2 weeks later...