Hornby Class 71

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

Never achieved 71 haulage thought I did see almost all of them in traffic.  Night Ferry and Golden Arrow workings helped and by "almost all" I include the ten which became 74s al of which i saw and some of which I travelled behind.

The face is unusual and perhaps akin in appeal, if not in likeness, to the Metro-Vick Co-Bo class 28s.  The front end design is unique.  The fact that they could be powered from overhead wires puzzled and interested me though I don't recall seeing one with its pan raised in anger.  

There's a lot of appeal there in terms of shape and style whether or not one ever saw an actual example.  

How good they prove to be as a model we are about to find out.

I believe its origins lay in rhe design of the BLS ( Swiss) Ae 4/4 Bo Bo.My first sighting of one was E5005 on 22/7/1959 at Victoria whilst boarding  a boat train for Dover which was of course then still hauled...via Tonbridge at least.....by a Bulled Pacific. EMU's operated via the Kent Coast,some on boat trains using that route.

• Like 1

Mine came at midday by Reg from Interlink.

Some photos from me but is pouring with rain here I'll have a better look at it latter.

The important bit for me it runs beautifully with smooth acceleration on any of my feedback controllers from an AMR handheld Digitol Gemini, Kent Panel controls with the feedback switched on or off. Just running it in at the moment not tried the haulage capacity but it weighs 490g so I don't think it will be a problem. It certainly isn't a Railroad model.

Dscf0210_zpsgqpgwjc1.jpg

Dscf0209_zpsy9muws9o.jpg

Dscf0215_zpsyuqoemky.jpg

DSCF0222_zpsjepdi5ra.jpg

Do read the instructions before trying to raise the panto.

DSCF0223_zpsclmqmv6f.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Mine came at midday by Reg from Interlink.

Some photos from me but is pouring with rain here I'll have a better look at it latter.

The important bit for me it runs beautifully with smooth acceleration on any of my feedback controllers from an AMR handheld Digitol Gemini, Kent Panel controls with the feedback switched on or off. Just running it in at the moment not tried the haulage capacity but it weighs 490g so I don't think it will be a problem. It certainly isn't a Railroad model.

Dscf0210_zpsgqpgwjc1.jpg

Dscf0209_zpsy9muws9o.jpg

Dscf0215_zpsyuqoemky.jpg

DSCF0222_zpsjepdi5ra.jpg

Do read the instructions before trying to raise the panto.

DSCF0223_zpsclmqmv6f.jpg

Railroad models don't have switches to turn off the tail-lights either - in fact they don't have lights, unlike this one.  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Thanks for posting all the photos, guys. The model looks very nice, and the finish looks superb, at least on this green version. There doesn't seem to be much room inside for a decoder though; the space left on the PCB appears to coincide with the pantograph well in the roof, so a very small or very thin decoder looks to be the order of the day.

Wonderful model....I truly am jealous. This is my personal view, but judging from photographs I clearly favour the Hornby one. I think they've done a marvelous job. I know a certain member has been going on about the vents being incorrect but that doesn't bother me.

I cannot wait to get one of these Hornby Class 71s...!

Thanks to toboldlygo and bigherd for posting pics so quickly.

I was  advised   re  the  Digitizing  process  that  a  small thin decoder  is best  option,  when  mine arrive  and  I get  the  time  I will find  out!

HOWEVER in the  meantime if  anyone does  fit  a  decoder to a  class 71  please  advise etc.

• RMweb Gold

Mine was slightly noisy at one end on it's first run and much slower in one direction than the other. On investigation (hence the body and PCB off), it turned out that one of the gear towers had become unclipped during transport (may not have been pushed home on assembly), easier enough to put right though. Now runs smoothly in both directions.

In it's new home on the layout, with Pullmans in tow.

post-7000-0-11272100-1467385896_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Mine was slightly noisy at one end on it's first run and much slower in one direction than the other. On investigation (hence the body and PCB off), it turned out that one of the gear towers had become unclipped during transport (may not have been pushed home on assembly), easier enough to put right though. Now runs smoothly in both directions.

In it's new home on the layout, with Pullmans in tow.

attachicon.gifE5022_pullmans.jpg

Twelve - wheeled Pullmans I see.

• RMweb Gold

Twelve - wheeled Pullmans I see.

Of course, I had to test it with some heavy coaches, though if you saw the rest of the rolling stock it was hauling - it wasn't very Southern!! No derailments once I'd fitted them all (Class 71 included) with the Hornby/Roco style couplings either.

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1

The sun did make an appearance for an hour.

Here are some taken in daylight to give a bit more detail.

A bit of focal length distortion in this picture, I'm trying out a new camera I haven't found the right focal length yet to capture what you see.

Dscf0243_zpsted1dnjp.jpg

Dscf0231_zpsuzz9rcif.jpg

Dscf0232_zps5zbkeslt.jpg

DSCF0245_zpsvbrcilfh.jpg

DSCF0247_zpsx4h4whru.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Another lovely release from Hornby, looking at the pictures on this thread, the images of the Peckett and the new Q6 remind us of what Hornby are capable of and why it's to be hoped they pull through their financial problems in good order.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was in Alton Model Centre yesterday when the Hornby 71s arrived. I have to say that the Hornby Team have every right to be very proud of their latest release, right from the moment power was applied to the test track it was clear that the running is superb. I have one of the the DJ Models 71 on order but couldn't resist getting one of the Hornby ones in blue. Back at home, even on my extended module the running was just a smooth and I think its one of the best runners in my collection already. It is amazingly quiet, but then its an electric loco rather than a diesel!

Looking forward to receiving the DJ version and being able to make an informed comparison.

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was in Alton Model Centre yesterday when the Hornby 71s arrived. I have to say that the Hornby Team have every right to be very proud of their latest release, right from the moment power was applied to the test track it was clear that the running is superb. I have one of the the DJ Models 71 on order but couldn't resist getting one of the Hornby ones in blue. Back at home, even on my extended module the running was just a smooth and I think its one of the best runners in my collection already. It is amazingly quiet, but then its an electric loco rather than a diesel!

Looking forward to receiving the DJ version and being able to make an informed comparison.

all the best

Godfrey

What a refreshingly balanced attitude.So reassuring to read.

Found some switches underneath.

One to turn off the rear lights and the other to switch over to pantograph collection, yes it does work.

Dscf0228_zpszwp9vv3j.jpg

So the modus operandi is:

Drive the freight train off the main into the reception siding under the wires.  Take loco off track.  Turn upside down.  Switch to overhead.  Put loco back on track under the wires.  Raise pantograph.  Shunt train.  Repeat in reverse when departing yard?  So much for hands off operation.  At least with the old 25Kv TriAng / Hornby overhead electric locos the changeover switch was on the roof.

Alternatively have a spare to do the shunting?  But then again, does anyone do 750v overhead masts and contact wire?

Looks like 3rd rail in the sidings and ignore health & safety?

So the modus operandi is:

Drive the freight train off the main into the reception siding under the wires.  Take loco off track.  Turn upside down.  Switch to overhead.  Put loco back on track under the wires.  Raise pantograph.  Shunt train.  Repeat in reverse when departing yard?  So much for hands off operation.

No you can just flick the switch with a Hornby hand uncoupler or make something more precise.

• RMweb Premium

I think that arguments over the relative merits of duplicated models tend to apply a zero sum game approach. So if one model is better then the other is bad, I don't accept this. One model may be better however that does not preclude the alternative from being a good model and in a sense I'd argue that it is a moot argument if both models satisfy the demands of potential customers. There may be all sorts of factors that influence the decision of which to buy, such as price, availability, livery application etc. So to me the fact that the DJM offering promises to be excellent in no way diminishes the Hornby model, any more than the Hornby model should be seen as diminishing the DJM model. When we can compare both models we can make our decision but I'm confident that whichever version people buy, they will be happy and have a first class model. Many will I am sure buy both.

• Like 3

Two  class  71s  arrived  here  at  around  8-00am  today  from  Arcadia  Rail  Shaw  Oldham ( excellent  price  by  the  way)

Unfortunately   following  the  installation  of  a  new  gas  boiler earlier  in  the  week  today  has  been  deemed  to  be   re decorating  the  whole  kitchen  day!

So   the  parcels  currently  remains  unopened!!

I really  love  decorating!!!!!!!!!!!

At least with the old 25Kv TriAng / Hornby overhead electric locos the changeover switch was on the roof.

That's a great idea, I'm sure they could be painted the same colour as the roof so they don't stand out. You could have a couple more for the TTS version to turn the sound on/off, make compressor noises etc.

I'm all in favour of realistic operation but I think you're over-thinking this. If you really need that degree of fine control over secondary features stick a decoder in it and go DCC.

• RMweb Gold

I think that arguments over the relative merits of duplicated models tend to apply a zero sum game approach. So if one model is better then the other is bad, I don't accept this. One model may be better however that does not preclude the alternative from being a good model and in a sense I'd argue that it is a moot argument if both models satisfy the demands of potential customers. There may be all sorts of factors that influence the decision of which to buy, such as price, availability, livery application etc. So to me the fact that the DJM offering promises to be excellent in no way diminishes the Hornby model, any more than the Hornby model should be seen as diminishing the DJM model. When we can compare both models we can make our decision but I'm confident that whichever version people buy, they will be happy and have a first class model. Many will I am sure buy both.

And to be totally even-handed you should really post this in the DJM thread too. There's more people over there saying that one is superior than here - even though it isn't available yet. In any case the discussion here has move on to the actual model now people have it in their hands.