Hornby Class 71

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

i cant believe RoS are selling these fairly new releases now for £99. thats some drop. wonder if the class 87s will be that price in the same short time span from launch LOL.

Only if somebody else makes a competing item?  As good as the Hornby item looks I have waited for the DJ Models version.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Yes, beautiful model, unless you try to fit a decoder and/or speaker. Haste to get it to market?

I'm DC Dinosaur so not bothered.Make my own sounds out of earshot in the loft...privelege of a second childhood.Watch out for panto that needs the handling of a Faberge Egg and collapses in ways it was not designed for.

• RMweb Gold

Be grateful for further observation on this.

Compare the lower cab sheet shape, below the windows forward to the corner, and the overall profile of the cab corner from cantrail down to lower edge. It's a complex shape, but rather too straight and simplified on t'other one - to my eyes. It probably has nicer bogies, but the Hornby ones are none too shabby either.

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest 40-something

Received my blue 71 today.  Absolute cracker of a model, and is the best running loco I've ever come across by far.

Well done Hornby!!!

Hornby may have got the cab shape right but there is a nasty moulding line that continues down from the end of the rain strip. Also, the said rain strip that has been removed for the earlier versions is still visible where it has been shaved away. I'm sticking with the DJM I reckon.

Guest 40-something

Hornby may have got the cab shape right but there is a nasty moulding line that continues down from the end of the rain strip. Also, the said rain strip that has been removed for the earlier versions is still visible where it has been shaved away. I'm sticking with the DJM I reckon.

If the rain strip is shaved away and properly touched up it wont be seen.  The extended moulding isnt easy to see with the naked eye at all and I can live with that easily

If the rain strip is shaved away and properly touched up it wont be seen.  The extended moulding isnt easy to see with the naked eye at all and I can live with that easily

That's really a ridiculous reply. If Hornby are offering it sans rain strip, it shouldn't be remotely visible or what is the point. I may as well shave it away myself. It should be done properly at the factory. Also the moulding line is clearly visible with the naked eye.

• RMweb Premium

I thought the Hornby Class 71 was excellently done, it captures the look of the prototype superbly and is very nicely finished. Fabulous runner too. If people prefer to wait for the DJM model then that is fine and I think you'll be very happy.

Guest 40-something

That's really a ridiculous reply. If Hornby are offering it sans rain strip, it shouldn't be remotely visible or what is the point. I may as well shave it away myself. It should be done properly at the factory. Also the moulding line is clearly visible with the naked eye.

Its not a ridiculous reply, its my opinion, which i am entitled to

I've looked at photos of the green one without rain strips and I cant see any trace of it at all, I have a blue one and its very difficult to see the mould lines on that

For me, its a great model and Im very happy with it

Edited by 40-something
  • Like 2

I have just ordered R3376 E5022 in BR green livery for £99.50 from Rails. It is Rail's 'top hit' I have fond memories of seeing class 71s with the Golden Arrow and the Night Ferry. I travelled on the Night Ferry once: not in the Wagon Lits cars and it was a very long train. It had about 25 coaches.

Does anyone make the Golden Arrow insignia to attach to the locomotive?

I have just ordered R3376 E5022 in BR green livery for £99.50 from Rails. It is Rail's 'top hit' I have fond memories of seeing class 71s with the Golden Arrow and the Night Ferry. I travelled on the Night Ferry once: not in the Wagon Lits cars and it was a very long train. It had about 25 coaches.

You could have a look at the Precision Labels range at http://www.precisionlabels.com/

Fox do. I posted pics of my Hornby Class 71s with GA further back in the thread.

I have just ordered R3376 E5022 in BR green livery for £99.50 from Rails. It is Rail's 'top hit' I have fond memories of seeing class 71s with the Golden Arrow and the Night Ferry. I travelled on the Night Ferry once: not in the Wagon Lits cars and it was a very long train. It had about 25 coaches.

Edited by miles73128

Fox do. I posted pics of my Hornby Class 71s with GA further back in the thread.

Thank you. I have found them on #281, #284 and #287 on page 12. Next time I do a search I will start from the last entry and work backwards. I think Fox transfers will be better than Precision Labels. I put some Precision Labels on some Pullmans and the brown faded.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you. I have found them on #281, #284 and #287 on page 12. Next time I do a search I will start from the last entry and work backwards. I think Fox transfers will be better than Precision Labels. I put some Precision Labels on some Pullmans and the brown faded.

Perhaps you hadn't sealed them correctly? Ive never had an issue with any of Precision Labels products.

I ran in my Hornby R3376 Class 71 'E5022' in BR green on our club layout at the first floor of the stables, Godlingston Manor, Swanage yesterday. It ran very well. It was very quiet and smooth and it stayed on the track. I like the light switch and the alternative destination blinds. If you switch it to the overhead power supply you can isolate it on the track.

post-17621-0-08264200-1482225908_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Hobby Shop in Faversham have it for £95 with free p&p, at that price it is a steal. Step out of the manufacturer politics and recognise that the Hornby version is an excellent model and that for any Class 71 or Southern Region fans its a no brainer at this price.

• Like 1

The Hobby Shop in Faversham have it for £95 with free p&p, at that price it is a steal. Step out of the manufacturer politics and recognise that the Hornby version is an excellent model and that for any Class 71 or Southern Region fans its a no brainer at this price.

BR Blue 71012 duly ordered. 

Thanks for the heads up jjb.

I also have GFYE one on order with DJM, so will be interesting to compare both when that eventually arrives (Chin up Dave :no2:). 

Cheers D7100.