Hornby Class 71

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

From the info I have E5010 would have been in green with full yellow ends in June 1968, and E5006 (i.e.E5022) was in blue with full yellows by November 1968.

It's a shame neither manufacturer are issuing pre-TOPS blue versions - they spent 6 to 7 years in this configuration after all.

But Hattons have commissioned E 5013 fron DJM with Golden Arrow  accessory pack.

• RMweb Gold

A few pictures of class 71s at Eastleigh works to be going on with. I assume they would have at least worked back home under their own power. Did Eastleigh run test trains, and if so where to?

6781192662_e53c0d3bd3_b.jpg71001 in Eastleigh Works - 13th August, 1974 by Arnie Furniss, on Flickr

22210470872_265c0e5d40_b.jpgBritish Rail Class 71 71005 at Eastleigh Works - 1975 by Mike Iles, on Flickr

22054376559_ccf9465982_b.jpgEastleigh Works & Shed, 20 Apr 1975 by Ian Nolan, on Flickr

• Like 7

A few pictures of class 71s at Eastleigh works to be going on with. I assume they would have at least worked back home under their own power. Did Eastleigh run test trains, and if so where to?

6781192662_e53c0d3bd3_b.jpg71001 in Eastleigh Works - 13th August, 1974 by Arnie Furniss, on Flickr

22210470872_265c0e5d40_b.jpgBritish Rail Class 71 71005 at Eastleigh Works - 1975 by Mike Iles, on Flickr

22054376559_ccf9465982_b.jpgEastleigh Works & Shed, 20 Apr 1975 by Ian Nolan, on Flickr

I do not know about class 71 test runs but when I did a stint at BREL Eastleigh as an apprentice c1976 we went on a test run with a class 33 on a van train from Eastleigh to Clapham Junction, stopping for a "feel round" at Wallers Ash loop. We returned from Clapham (allegedly) towing another class 33 due for works attention plus a buffet car (RB?).

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There have been some wonderful models of CIWL coaches in HO, the Rivarossi models still cut the mustard and the current LS models are beautiful. Unfortunately the difference in scale between OO and HO is very noticeable, and if trying to mix OO and HO in a train it is the proverbial sore thumb. This is a big problem within HO as many coaches nominally HO according to marketing are 1/93 or 1/100 scale.

Lovely models of the Golden Arrow 71, I love the gloss green model.

• Like 1

Dear Alex,

Many thanks for the info.  That gives me a better excuse for running my 71 with 4 wheel drive hauling an EMU (driven or motor-less).

I have got a 4-SUB kit to build, although I'll practise on some less rare kits first.

Regards

Nick

Hello Nick

Sorry for my late reply - only just read through this thread again - and have just noted Simon's later reply; it could well have been a 74 on reflection - it was such a long time ago since I came across the book (in a library). It was definately one of the two and by the sounds of it, more likely it was a 74. But I wouldn't want this to stop you going ahead with running a 71 with an EMU in tow, it could still have been possible...and the 4-SUB kit sounds great!

Cheers

Alex

Are you sure it was a 71? They rarely left the South Eastern Division and would have had a conductor if on the South Western. Might it have been a 74?

Simon

Hi Simon

Sorry I've only just read your reply - and it could well have been a 74, I didn't think of the division it was operating on (SW)

Cheers

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

My Blue Golden Arrow!

Very nice, but of course the Golden Arrow finished before TOPS numbers. For the last Arrow the locomotive was decked out as in your picture apart from the fact that the arrows were at the leading end only in both directions.

Here's the Night Ferry

Couple of things. Is that E5001? If so it never ran in service with that shape yellow panel, and also the cab pillar vents were added around the mid 70s long after green gave way to blue. In preservation E5001 retains them and the cab rain strips which were added as unlined green was coming in.

Simon

Hello Nick

Sorry for my late reply - only just read through this thread again - and have just noted Simon's later reply; it could well have been a 74 on reflection - it was such a long time ago since I came across the book (in a library). It was definately one of the two and by the sounds of it, more likely it was a 74. But I wouldn't want this to stop you going ahead with running a 71 with an EMU in tow, it could still have been possible...and the 4-SUB kit sounds great!

Cheers

Alex

E5006 in 1969 ran a test train from Waterloo to Eastleigh with two all over blue 4VEPs.

Simon

• Like 1

E5006 in 1969 ran a test train from Waterloo to Eastleigh with two all over blue 4VEPs.

Simon

You beat me to this, Simon. I found the picture yesterday in a fairly recent Modern Locomotives Illustrated, on DC Electric locomotives. Unfortunately, my home Internet is out of order at the moment (Telstra are working on the problem as multiple customers are affected, not just me).

Simon

This is interesting. When I was at school, my route home took me over the footbridge at Farncombe station.

In 1965 there was a regular test train, always heading towards Portsmouth, at about 4pm.

The consist of the train was brand new ' Brighton line ' 4CIG's, being propelled by an ED. Sometimes the

loco was placed between two units. I also seem to recall a 71 being used aswell

I guess the above was to do with the Bournemouth electrification of 1967.

If anyone knows more about these workings, I would be very interested.

You beat me to this, Simon. I found the picture yesterday in a fairly recent Modern Locomotives Illustrated, on DC Electric locomotives. Unfortunately, my home Internet is out of order at the moment (Telstra are working on the problem as multiple customers are affected, not just me).

Thats a very interesting picture. In MLI Mr Marsden says it was 1966, however BR blue for the 71s had not been introduced yet, in  Diesel and Electric Locomotives of the Southern Region by Pallant & Bird the same picture is in there dated 15 June 1969. This is the second E5006 renumbered from E5022 in late 1968. The original E5006 became a Class 74 no 74003.

Best wishes

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...