Hornby Class 71

Multiple identity account

My class 71 locomotive with a rake of Hornby Mk1 coaches at the Hornby Railway Collectors Association meeting at Broadstone Methodist church hall. The working headlights on the locomotives and the working interior lights in the coaches add interest to the scene. The train seems to blend in well with the Hornby Dublo buildings.

post-17621-0-55211000-1482568427_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Hi All, Good Evening,

May I ask your thoughts / opinions on which you find is the most suitable DCC decoder for the Hornby Class 71, taking into account the limited space ( I am led to believe ) inside the body shell ?

Any advice or pointers would be very much appreciated,

Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Hi All, Good Evening,

May I ask your thoughts / opinions on which you find is the most suitable DCC decoder for the Hornby Class 71, taking into account the limited space ( I am led to believe ) inside the body shell ?

Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

I fitted a lenz silver direct to mine witch just fits, I would also expect the hattons direct, gaugemaster dcc29 and dcc concepts zen nano direct decoders to fit aswell.

I fitted a lenz silver direct to mine witch just fits, I would also expect the hattons direct, gaugemaster dcc29 and dcc concepts zen nano direct decoders to fit aswell.

Many Thanks for your detailed and very helpful reply, I'll get on the case with a Lenz Silver Direct for mine then....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Unless I'm very much mistaken the BR roundel on green mk1's is only appropriate for the "Royal Wessex".

Luke

Correct, but the coaches did escape later and became scattered. There is a photo in one of the colour albums I have at home of 'Flying Scotsman' leaving Brighton with a rake of coaches, where the first coach is a green Bulleid with a roundel.

There are other photos from various sources and publications which show odd coaches with roundels in rakes of plain green ones.

Hi All, Good Evening,

Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

I fitted a Hattons direct 8-PIN one to mine. Works very well and a very reasonable price too

• 3 months later...

Hi does anybody know where I can get the large font early headcodes for Class 71 ? Thanks.

Hi Miles.

Have a look here. Page 2, post # 48

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73227-sr-brs-emu-route-numbers/

For the later, smaller font, see here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74782-br-southern-region-diesel-electro-diesel-locomotive-headcodes/

Regards.

Edited by Ceptic

• RMweb Gold

I recently purchased E5022 from Rails.  Everything seemed fine until I tried it on a substantial load when the loco encountered a lot of wheel slip.  Close observation revealed that only the wheels of one bogie were slipping, and that the wheels of the other bogie could be spun with my little finger.  As this model has both bogies powered there was clearly a problem.  The model was replaced by Rails and the new one is fine.

So if you have a Hornby 71 make sure you can't turn any of the 4 axles by hand, since if you can there's a problem with the gears and the loco is working off only one powered bogie instead of 2. 

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

I recently purchased E5022 from Rails. Everything seemed fine until I tried it on a substantial load when the loco encountered a lot of wheel slip. Close observation revealed that only the wheels of one bogie were slipping, and that the wheels of the other bogie could be spun with my little finger. As this model has both bogies powered there was clearly a problem. The model was replaced by Rails and the new one is fine.

So if you have a Hornby 71 make sure you can't turn any of the 4 axles by hand, since if you can there's a problem with the gears and the loco is working off only one powered bogie instead of 2.

It sounds as though the gear cogs were stripped or not meshing together properly.

• RMweb Premium

I've been delighted with the running qualities of mine, it is wonderfully smooth and quiet. Given that certain box shifters are selling the Hornbymodel for £89, that it captures the shape very well and it pretty much plonk and play in terms of running then it presents a pretty compelling case for itself IMO. The Hornby model is not conducive to fitting sound but it is easy to chip (despite stories to the contrary) and I don't like sound anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't help on the arrows, but I can say that I have found mine has a good top speed and is also very smooth at low speeds. Quiet and powerful, I've found it a terrific runner. Appearance wise it is swings and roundabouts, I honestly think Hornby nailed the shape better, equally I think some of the details on the DJM are lovely. The side window on the Hornby is better even if not strictly accurate in terms of the internal representation. I really would recommend the Hornby, it's a wonderful model and can be picked up at bargain prices.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone advise me where I can get Golden Arrow insignia for the Hornby class 71 and does it have the same speed and haulage problems that have been reported on the DJM class 71 thread?

The Hornby 71 has no issues with performance. I fitted a Lenz Silver Direct decoder to mine, and top speed was measured by my RR&Co Traincontroller profiling as 83 mph.  Bear in mind this speed will depend on your DCC track voltage, and mine is approximately 14.5v. Slow running is also excellent especially as it has twin flywheels. 

I have a representation of the Golden Arrow (7 Hornby lighted Pullmans, 2 Bachmann second opens and 1 bogie luggage van).  The DJ 71 couldn't cope with this (max speed fell to 43 mph and it was clearly struggling) whereas the Hornby 71 romps away with the train.  I use automated scheduling with RR&Co and none of the schedules require any train to go faster than 70mph (they look a bit silly faster than that!) and the Hornby 71 had no problem doing that. It competes for the train with my Hornby 70004 William Shakespeare and unrebuilt 35028 Clan Line, both of which easily haul the train.

Because of the DJ 71's limited haulage capacity I have returned it and bought the Hornby 71 instead.  

Edited by RFS

Can anyone advise me where I can get Golden Arrow insignia for the Hornby class 71 and does it have the same speed and haulage problems that have been reported on the DJM class 71 thread?

See post 317 of this thread for GA insignia.

Choose the subject well as it hard to find proof that certain loco numbers in certain conditions actually pulled the train. For example E5022 certainly had all the GA front and side brackets fitted in her original condition. There is an online photo of her at London Bridge showing this, but no photos (yet) pulling the GA train. I don,t know whether swapping the loco around was a common or occasional thing back then.

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one known which retails have any of the Hornby (discounted) blues models available. I've tried ROS but they seen to be sold out and Hattons are asking £128. I'd waiting to see how it compared with Daves 71 and from what I read there is not much to choose between either of them so i may as well try the Hornby model.

thanks 

B

Does any one known which retails have any of the Hornby (discounted) blues models available. I've tried ROS but they seen to be sold out and Hattons are asking £128. I'd waiting to see how it compared with Daves 71 and from what I read there is not much to choose between either of them so i may as well try the Hornby model.

thanks 

B

Out of stock at the Rails main site but follow the link to Rails e-bay.