Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

I've fitted both boards with 1/4" jack sockets for DCC supply - fed from a single twin cable, split at the end with two jack plugs - one for each board. Point motors will be controlled from a Switch 8 (2) on one board, so there will need to be a fly- lead with Din plug from one board to 'tother.

06115D9B-638D-4784-ACCE-DB44380EAFAC_zps

Holes are cut underneath for Tortoise point motors. I've been careful to make sure there is 4mm ply where I want it over-head!

DCFD613F-B395-43EC-BDE8-B74E59DD4B3C_zps

All (standard gauge) track is sprayed black, cleaned off, and ready for rusting and sleeper painting

3793581A-C7DC-4B5E-954A-16732B1B61B6_zps

• Like 4

Oh yes Chris, but I'll do that after rusting rails and painting sleepers!

This was how I got the track below ( although it won't be all like this!)

IMG_1280_zps75005cd1.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

All the track is finally painted and cleaned off, ready for ballasting - and sett-laying..... So I made a start.

I decided to do the setts at the baseboard join in Milliput to make them resilient, and the others are in air-drying clay. The clay works better for embossing. Although it doesn't look it, I did carve the flange ways out before embossing, and I shall do so again when the clay is nearly dry. The clay is bedded onto PVA brushed onto the track bed.

The embossing was extremely quick (relatively) with the tool I made

C4C79157-4BED-48FC-A7EB-536F55A6080B_zps

3798D540-E2DC-43F7-B4F6-F0D7A0867CBE_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 10

All the track is finally painted and cleaned off, ready for ballasting - and sett-laying..... So I made a start.

I decided to do the setts at the baseboard join in Milliput to make them resilient, and the others are in air-drying clay. The clay works better for embossing. Although it doesn't look it, I did carve the flange ways out before embossing, and I shall do so again when the clay is nearly dry. The clay is bedded onto PVA brushed onto the track bed.

The embossing was extremely quick (relatively) with the tool I made

C4C79157-4BED-48FC-A7EB-536F55A6080B_zps

3798D540-E2DC-43F7-B4F6-F0D7A0867CBE_zps

Nice work Giles. May we have a photo of the embissong tool?

Chris

Hi Chris, it's a simple brass fabrication of etch off cuts between sheet, all silver soldered - the shorter side sized for the four-foot. The sett dividers are off set, so you just spin it through 180 degrees for each row.

IMG_2861_zpsac4b2878.jpg

• Like 8

I've done the artwork for a triple-sided embossing tool, to give 9" x 4 1/2" setts, in 7mm scale. This gives a run of 50mm, 28mm (for the 'four-foot' in standard guage, and a couple of stones worth on the last face for odds and sods......

Each face has the breaks off-set, so you spin the tool round to get the next staggered row.

To give an indication, All the embossing shown in the main layout picture, AFTER laying the clay, took under ten minutes to emboss.

As soon as I get a moment I'll get a sheet etched. Let me know if you might be interested in buying a tool (no commitment, as I don't yet have a price!!!)

I've done the artwork for a triple-sided embossing tool, to give 9" x 4 1/2" setts, in 7mm scale. This gives a run of 50mm, 28mm (for the 'four-foot' in standard guage, and a couple of stones worth on the last face for odds and sods......

Each face has the breaks off-set, so you spin the tool round to get the next staggered row.

To give an indication, All the embossing shown in the main layout picture, AFTER laying the clay, took under ten minutes to emboss.

As soon as I get a moment I'll get a sheet etched. Let me know if you might be interested in buying a tool (no commitment, as I don't yet have a price!!!)

I'm interested Giles.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to cast bits for supporting walls for the crane road - but my old latex mould is well past its best - so I'm making a new one.

The embossed plasticard master is taped down to a tray, and a wall of tape built around it. Latex has been poured on, tapped to clear bubbles out, left a few minutes and poured back off. This will then dry before another layer is poured on ( then poured off again). Several coats will be given. Mnultiple thin coats will dry a lot faster than one thick one, without the risk of finding a wet patch that ruins the job. I will give it a liberal talc before separating, so it doesn't get the chance to stick to itself.

EC794F40-A7E7-4207-BD7C-3A3E23758ED4_zps

818AE47F-2538-40EB-B1B4-3F17EEC1D80A_zps

• Like 7

The embossing tool for Setts will of course emboss different materials. It seems to make a good clean job on very dense foams like Celotex (and presumably Kingspan).

I've just done a quick sample to show, just dusted over with black and then grey primer, for the photo - NOT properly painted!

54A674CE-9F9A-4C48-93C6-A66A1746C911_zps

• Like 8

New latex mould finished (with original master underneath). Trimmed and with talc brushed into both sides, it's now ready for casting with Hydrocal, or use for embossing into Das or clay if one wanted. No release agent was necessary when making this, and none will be required using it.

6263778A-222C-4526-AED4-7AF505E053BB_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 5

Anyway..... Back to the layout.....

I've put some paint on the Crane road tramway - there's a layer of ash etc. to work into the gaps, but I'll wait until I've done the rest of the tramwaying before I do that, so it all ends up looking the same. That will tone it all down considerably.

The painting really didn't take too long. It was a base coat of aerosol matt black, followed by a heavy dry brush (if that isn't a contradiction of terms) of Humbrol 133, followed by a very light dry brush of Humbrol 128.

It may be too dark, in which case I'll work into it a bit more... We'll see......

9385BC87-00FB-4405-8CE3-60E1215CAC7D_zps

308A7730-8CBA-4B38-9F75-05C36598779D_zps

• Like 10

Thanks Andy!

I wasn't specifically after the 'wet' look - only after the polished look they get....... However, it will all matt down a bit after the gaps at infilled with ash or whatever (although I think I will have to fix it with Johnsons Lear, or similar -which of course is gloss! - as I need something really thin to penetrate, that won't float the stuff out of the cracks).

Non-the-less, I'm very pleased with the results so far, and with their versatility of the embossing.

• Like 1

I've tackled the (difficult part of) the top point, and the crossing - although not the bit behind, as I need to sort out the narrow gauge to get the levels right....

It all looks very nice at the moment, but the air drying clay has a massive shrink percentage, and it will crack like anything. This happened all along Crane Road. The answer was (and will be) to infill the cracks with more clay, and to emboss these new infills. It doesn't look too bad. If one was going for immaculate, one would lay Slaters sheet, or some such.

I believe Das has a very much lower shrinkage, but I don't want to change materials half way through.

The point still works (I checked!) and the section with the tie-bar will be covered with steel plate (it was either that or timbers)

B7431932-3DB9-43E1-AC60-B1477DC50774_zps

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I would be very interested in one of those

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a made-up embossing tool.

There are two problems - one, the very kind etchers haven't given me the bill yet, and second, the fabrication time to silver-solder these together is significant (I choose to silver solder as it's cleaner with less excess...). This will put the price above £20 for a built up tool.

I'm perfectly happy to sell the etches if anyone wants them that way (just as soon as I get a confirmed price from the etchers, which should only be a few days away......

46B32814-2EB0-402A-9AA5-C448E0448784_zps

5D90518E-FB9E-462C-A5B1-ABF8FD1A0E4D_zps

BBAE485C-1B2A-4BFD-B575-B666C431CD38_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 4

Nothing finished, but starting to look like it's supposed to...... the two retaining walls are cast, one being about two foot long, and the other four foot long. Cast from my latex mould using Hydrocal, about 12mm thick, and then sawn into strips with a cross-cut saw when completely dry.

IMG_3287_zpsqwstg31s.jpg

• Like 16