Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

Nothing finished, but starting to look like it's supposed to...... the two retaining walls are cast, one being about two foot long, and the other four foot long. Cast from my latex mould using Hydrocal, about 12mm thick, and then sawn into strips with a cross-cut saw when completely dry.

IMG_3287_zpsqwstg31s.jpg

First class job Giles.

• Like 2

That's fine d600 - perhaps you can PM me with your contact details, it I'll generate a list!

Meanwhile, I've finally got the look I'm after for Crane Road. This is done with ash brushed into all the cracks, and then the whole thing damped with dilute PVA with washing up liquid (and IPA for good measure) added. When almost dry, more ash was brushed in, and brushed off the surface. When dry, the surface was lightly buffed with my fingers until I got the surface finish I wanted.

544ebd98e9797b6a8748f5c14d3a37f9_zpsep6d

• Like 10

A few sett tools in production. Silver soldered. They'll be £20 each plus p&p, and the first batch ready to go out this week end, for those who are still interested (and have expressed an interest - in order!)

There won't be many of these, because I won't be spending my life assembling these things - I've done this because I thought it was a good and useful idea, rather than wanting to set myself up in a cottage industry.

655D3E52-D943-4DEE-951E-D46210C5177C_zps

All the best

Giles

Edited by Giles
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Paul!

Ballasting (on the standard Gauge) has almost been completed on the first board. Some of it is industrial grot (but still ballasted) with the 'main line' in better order.

In all cases, a mix of 3 types and sizes of ballast, with a little ash or whatever to add a little dirt, fixed down and then the industrial area had a significant amount of ash and soil worked into it as a second layer, then fixed. Greenery will of course follow.

a140080f6ac85d57e8b42b05ea9c6c61_zpsftl4

483e443e9e46e7fa12fe98d4008443ee_zpsuaxt

If anyone wanted a Sett embossing tool, I have some made up.

• Like 8

Been following this for ages now as an admirer of your stonework - I've done similar things in smaller scales so was quite intrigued by your embossing technique.

Also, that's some beautiful ballasting work there. The colours are lovely and muted and everything ties in very nicely.

Mike

Thanks Gents...

Andrew - you eagle-eyed what's-it, you.... No, actually, it's from a pair of San-Francisco cable car kits, chopped, and back-to-back. It shouldn't really be there...... It won't have a home on this layout - no passengers 'ere....

• Like 1

Thanks Gents...

Andrew - you eagle-eyed what's-it, you.... No, actually, it's from a pair of San-Francisco cable car kits, chopped, and back-to-back. It shouldn't really be there...... It won't have a home on this layout - no passengers 'ere....

The presence of passenger stock did surprise me! Maybe because I have a pair of the Bachmann cars for doing the same, hadn't thought of using the San Francisco kits... Food for thought!

Cheers,

Andrew

This is the coach - never got completely finished (25 years ago..) I lost the roof I made - I shall have to make another - and some of the glazing has gone missing, plus I never put any seats in. Still, on the right layout it would make a nice coach. I built it to 16.5, but recently just pushed the wheels in to 14mm

7c48e310f2abad9fc16cb0cc4dd402e7_zpsxxvl

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

This is a Locos 'n' Stuff Kerr Stuart Wren I'm putting together - though not as the standard kit. There are improvements to be made to make it more prototypical, so I'm doing them - it has involved reworking all the components of the cab, and making new angle support arches, which were rather more sculpted and formed, rather than simply bent, as the angle I used was so fine, and the correct radii were so tight.

A894C022-79F6-4DC1-A472-39F925703306_zps

This is also completely silver-soldered - apart from the horn block guides (which are soft soldered). This was to make life easier and neater, and also to allow me to solder on all the bits and bobs on later without other things dropping off......

6D4454C1-1D85-43FC-895D-E73528ED3623_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is the coach - never got completely finished (25 years ago..) I lost the roof I made - I shall have to make another - and some of the glazing has gone missing, plus I never put any seats in. Still, on the right layout it would make a nice coach. I built it to 16.5, but recently just pushed the wheels in to 14mm

7c48e310f2abad9fc16cb0cc4dd402e7_zpsxxvl

You're going to HAVE to build a layout for that lovely coach, now you've shown it to us...

Cheers, Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

That's undeservedly kind, Daniel! There's some lovely stuff out there.... However, I have tried with the track work, both painting (lots of different colours on there) and ballasting. In particular I mix some smaller ballast in with the larger stuff, as out of the packet it's terribly uniform, and then even on well-maintained track, I add a little sprinkle of soil or ash, which you hardly notice - but you do notice if it isn't there...... The factory sidings (not finished yet) are heavily ashed over all this, and will receive some sparing growth and oil stains.

Having a go on the 'oldest' part of the factory, which is stone built. I do like textures and unevenness where I can get away with it, so I'm experimenting with applying fire-clay to the wall, and embossing it with my handy latex mould. The test piece I did warped the card a little, so I've reinforced the building quite a lot. I'll see if I get away with it tomorrow when it's dried!

40E3C8EF-1C50-4505-9B19-3BD49EFAFF4F_zps

I'll add quoins and door lintel when I can see that it works.....

18A0B3E9-DFDA-455A-83B0-14C16FC3AF79_zps

• Like 8

I did get some damage due to surface contraction - so (apart from plenty of internal reinforcement) I am 'countering' to use enamelling vernacular. This means I am applying fire clay on the inside surface as well, to balance it. The dodgy bit is that these walls are two thicknesses thick, so there is the possibility that this will simply separate the two..... We'll see. If that should prove to be the case, then the way to build will be countering a single thickness.

However, on the bright side, I am getting the result I wanted, with plenty of surface interest, and a nice porous surface. The natural colour is good too, so experimentation with staining etc. Is called for.

ACD1824C-770C-4A23-BDB0-CC4EC807D5AD_zps

ADA55CA3-EE87-4501-9A7E-6FB9E13FA150_zps

• Like 8

Anyway, another of the joys I'm discovering is lintels and cills. If one is using 'stone' lintels and cills, one can simply dampen the site slightly, apply a thin sausage press it down firmly so it sticks, and then carve it to shape......

(Someone please stop me if this is boring or self-indulgent)

EFE9818A-6320-4EAC-92F3-4CB576AA7A4A_zps

F5469C84-30CD-48F3-A638-61DB589FD465_zps

• Like 6