Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

Quoins and Windows added. The quoins were done in the same way as the window cills - layer of fire cement added on, and then cut back.

If you wanted flush quoins, one would do them first of all, and then add the stonework after the quoins had dried.

The quoins would benefit from a quick rub over with fine sandpaper or similar, and then everything needs colouring. This is all its natural colour at the moment ( the white being talcum powder added before pressing the mould in to stop it from sticking).

Capping stones will have to be made soon.....

0C4DB7D3-4323-479A-891D-684FD975F2D2_zps

• Like 13

I managed to spend a fruitful afternoon doing a little preliminary painting (more like staining) and weathering on the walls, and adding flashing and capping stones, and it's starting to look something more like.... There aren't any slates yet, and the flashing isn't painted, hence no photos from above. Also the hopper and drain pipe are still to be made.

IMG_4179_zpsrdtvrhjp.jpg

IMG_4182_zpsxvfmmwsl.jpg

• Like 8

The rest of the factory is a mix of more stone and brick, with other but it's and pieces, I dare say!

I've ordered some laser cut slates from York laser cutting (or whoever) as I was loosing the will to live when I started cutting some yesterday so we'll see what they're like when they arrive.

Meanwhile, hopper and down pipe fitted, and I'll stop boring everyone with this now.

9EBBE062-BFCB-4FAA-951E-E94E5913D06E_zps

IMG_4204_zpsxqmw7dgp.jpg

• Like 10

Finally finished this building!

The slates went on today - they were from York laser, and pretty good. They still took long enough to put on, so doing it totally by hand would have been a right 'mare!

The door has also been added (etched brass with a dress makers pin for a knob......)

There will be anothe building stood in front of the pale bit in the middle!

IMG_4224_zpsr2cbllgx.jpg

IMG_4226_zpsxuhh8y2u.jpg

IMG_4236_zpshzhbq7wm.jpg

IMG_4241_zpsl1soj5dd.jpg

IMG_4234_zpszjsk41ie.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 11

..... And now we make a start on the larger building. The front, lower bit is to be 'original' older build, whilst the north-lights to the rear are to be later extension/alteration, and brick-built.

Of course it looks quite crude at the moment but it will come together.

I wasted quite a lot of time with the gable for the crane - carefully cladding it in brick, and painting it up, before deciding that architecturally it was simply wrong, and had to be part of the old building. Underneath the stone is lots of lovely finished brickwork.....

0C542AAF-8F31-4CC4-9FF1-ED88D266F23F_zps

56F7CA3C-303D-40D8-9867-5D47F730DFD7_zps

B3795029-1927-47F6-A1C6-0CDC290D6EA7_zps

• Like 12

The stonework on this building is finally finished (excepting painting) with the addition of capping stones to the crane gable, and soldiers and cills to the Windows. I'll hold off painting and weathering until I've done the brickwork, so it ties in together.

Like scenic art, this technique is less about precision and more about impression and overall character - therefore not to everyone's taste. Still, it's useful to have in one's armoury!

The capping stones were rolled, cut and left to dry completely (for two days, as it happened) and then cemented on and pointed up. Extremely easy. This also means there will be no shrinkage and re-pointing to do.

IMG_4287_zpsgbiirdau.jpg

IMG_4296_zps1shm3538.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 13

Small progress - this building has now been 'bricked' and flashing added (although more flashing will have to be done after slates).

I couldn't resist checking that the crane actually fitted as planned, which it does.

The stonework still hasn't been painted yet.

IMG_4321_zpss0tvkjaq.jpg

• Like 15

The slates are now on, and the stone-work weathered down and matching the other building. The next major job will be the north-lights which will be tedious to say the least. North-lights, roofs, gutters and down-pipes etc.... Still a long way to go!

IMG_4362_zpsdf3zkmsa.jpg

IMG_4364_zps8vu20ceb.jpg

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slow of late - I've done more to the roof of the larger building (the North Lights), but I've also tackled a job I've known I've had to do at some time, and have been putting it off.

Ever since I started the first building, the stonework (of fire cement) has rather dictated what the stone in the layout should really be - and of course the low retaining walls either side of Tram Road pre-date that, and are very different - being much darker and of a different denser style. And of course they don't mix.

I thought I'd have to cut them out and remake them completely, but I thought I'd try something else first, which was to  mix up a slurry of fire cement and water, and build up a layer of cement over the existing Hydrocal walls. I put three thin layers on, and once dry, scribed each block back in for clarity. blocks were then lightly stained in the same way was the buildings, and then given a black wash.

There's still a bit to do, but it looks much better, and part of the same environment now.

IMG_0097_zpsetebgpge.jpg

IMG_0099_zpsiopitqau.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 14

Guest Isambarduk

"You'll be saying you don't even like a Tractor next"

Well, I have this one, which I use and I quite like it, actually :-)

MF35X_ChainHarrow.jpg

over ...

Blimey - shows we all have impeccable taste and appreciate a useful tool......

Somewhere down south I still have an old Bonza Truck, and I used to have this three wheeled trike which I regularly used for doing rubbish runs to the local tip........ Chinese rubbish, but great fun. 30mph was quite fast enough!

DSCF2190_zpsf9e3cd5c.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Isambarduk

"Spend a day on one of those "Fergys" and your bum is numb......"

Well, yes, but the MF35 is not a true Fergie; for this you have to look for a TE20 (the original 'Grey Fergie').  The MF35 had a padded seat and small padded backrest. There was no such luxury on a Grey Fergie; after a day on one of these, it wasn't just you bum that was numb!

fergie01.jpg

David

I use an industrial MF20F with loader and linkage.

Very useful it is, but compared to all other tractors I've come across it possesses the most spectacularly useless reverse gear ratios for loader shuttle work.

Neither is any use unless you either have all day spare or want to break the sound barrier.

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 1

Sounds like we need a "Show us yer tractor" thread in Wheeltappers!

Although perhaps not, if you lot are going to fill it with these silly little grey or red things, everyone knows that real tractors are poppy orange.

Good to see some more progress Giles, the stonework is looking great.

Edited by brianthesnail96

• 3 weeks later...

As for Tractors on rails, what about these although a little further afield.

http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/tales/israeltales05.htm

By the way, I have only just found this thread and am blown away, that working crane is awesome!!

Best wishes

Simon

Simon - I pressed 'like' button, but would have pressed the 'bad taste' button had there been one!   :sarcastic:   Some of those can only be described as truly ugly…...