Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

They're rather fun in a mad way - I also like some of the Foden and Sentinal steam lorry conversions, for the same reason!

However, none will find a home on this layout, as they couldn't cope with the bank......! (There's always next time though....)

Thank you!

There's a slight pause at the moment whilst I finish off my 0-14 Wren, as I owe an article to the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Review on its construction........

Not far off now, though. (Probably the most silver-soldered loco in existence!)

However, over January, an additional 'run-round' on the BR line was added to make operation easier (it will also help the 'balance' of the layout)

IMG_0171_zpsuw4rlcmw.jpg

IMG_0146_zpsydwqtr2h.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished this Wren apart from weathering and couplings (which I'll do later).

I'll write this one up in NG&IR with Roy's indulgence. It's about as small as I'm capable of building, and was having quite enough trouble seeing what was going on. How these chaps can see to do 4mm beats me!

IMG_0141_zpsscabe5ac.jpg

IMG_0125_zpskr8tlhfh.jpg

• Like 13

Finally finished this Wren apart from weathering and couplings (which I'll do later).

I'll write this one up in NG&IR with Roy's indulgence. It's about as small as I'm capable of building, and was having quite enough trouble seeing what was going on. How these chaps can see to do 4mm beats me!

IMG_0141_zpsscabe5ac.jpg

IMG_0125_zpskr8tlhfh.jpg

A lovely little beauty. Absolutely first class Giles.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely - this is an A4 Emblazer, from Darklylabs, based in Australia

Probably the only affordable - but usable - desktop laser cutter on the market. It's got a 4W diode laser at the business end, and comes in kit form (it took me four hours to put it together)

https://darklylabs.com/emblaser-overview/

It's certainly well designed in engineering terms, and good value for money, in my opinion. It's no competitor to the 40W CO2 lasers as far as production speed is concerned, but it's a fraction of the price, and takes a fraction of the space.

Absolutely - this is an A4 Emblazer, from Darklylabs, based in Australia

Probably the only affordable - but usable - desktop laser cutter on the market. It's got a 4W diode laser at the business end, and comes in kit form (it took me four hours to put it together)

https://darklylabs.com/emblaser-overview/

It's certainly well designed in engineering terms, and good value for money, in my opinion. It's no competitor to the 40W CO2 lasers as far as production speed is concerned, but it's a fraction of the price, and takes a fraction of the space.

Very tempting Giles. The A3 version is AUD800, well less than the price of a pair of our Pecketts. Hmmm.

Plus of course shipping and duty - but non the less.....

I suspect it's the cheapest genuinely usable and useful laser. It will certainly etch brickwork into MDF (and then cut it out - eventually!)

Using Autocad (which I use every day) I saved this little file of bricks in - DXF 2004 - which the various programs appear to like, and I had success!

I imported a bit of brickwork with no trouble, didn't quite realise I had to select it a 'vectors', but did that eventually,then had a go at engraving (2mm MDF) the slight bit on the left you can see was too much - 5mm/sec at 100% , and very nearly burnt through (there are scorch marks on the other side) the one you can see all of is 10mm/sec at 100%, and is perhaps still a little deep..... (This is a 4W laser). This was all done with one pass.

I'm chuffed.

F063FFF7-C4DF-4B3D-B6BD-FF3B1231ABD3_zps

• Like 7

Progress - I've managed to etch and cut (in a combined process) a bit of brickwork, which pleases me. The joint is suffering from an excess of glue- but the principle is there.

This is 2mm MDF, cutting through on 6 passes, and etching on a single pass. There is some charring on the brick ends with the cutting, which I suppose is not surprising. I suspect I shall never buy any more embossed plasticard brick....!

7mm scale

5DD0D6AE-2636-40E2-959B-1C3D81D2A834_zps

• Like 7

I've managed to find time to produce this tool shed - it took ages, because it takes 30minutes to cut, but about 20 minutes in, it loses it's indexing, and shifts about half a mil, which ruins it..... I had three goes, and it did it each time - trashing it. Finally, I split the job into two parts, first the two ends, then the two walls - as separate drawings and operations (no other differences at all...) that worked absolutely fine.

I don't know if it can't cope with running continuously for more than 15-20 minutes without losing its indexing, or whether there is a little software glitch that sends it astray (the drawing appears to be completely clean). I don't mind splitting jobs up if I have to, my only concern would be if I have problems working large intensive pieces......

We'll see!

Time to try and produce some bits for Denton Brook!

8BDFDCB2-B219-4DA6-96AD-21C467BCEDFA_zps

450AB0CB-9744-4758-B9CF-AFC1D4E0FB2B_zps

• Like 5

I spent most of the afternoon looking for some windows I bought from York laser, to go into one of the Denton Brook buildings. When, after a couple of hours I found them, I realised I had bought some modern UPVC Windows by mistake!! No use at all.... I therefore drew up something more suitable, to try and cut them in 0.8mm ply (a material I haven't to date tried.....) using the Emblazer laser.

I confess I didn't bother doing test pieces, I just went straight for it. Etch cuts were 20mm/sec at 75%, Single pass, And the Cuts were 10mm/sec at 100%, with three passes - but would have been better at four passes, as some of the frames were just clinging on.....

The glazing bars are about 0.5mm wide, and have come out beautifully! The quality is stunning.

I wouldn't do piles of them a once, as being a silly computer, it does half a job, goes off and does something else and then comes back to it, and of course it will always do a better job if it finishes one thing first....... One could do a work-around by doing pairs of Windows on different layers, so it will do them a pair at a time.

I love this machine!

35CA1C5D-8D56-4760-B880-9F9B83AD40DA_zps

186267AD-ED5B-4712-A013-A4CD6FCEDA7C_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 5