Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

Hi Alan,

That's extremely kind of you to say so! Both layouts have been great fun to do - although a little scary sometimes, trying to get the result.

The joy of most of this stuff is that it's comparatively straight-forward, requiring persistance and patience rather than enormous amounts of skill. More than anything, im blessed with a wife who actively encouraged me and is interested.

Best,

Giles

• Like 4

It's coming together nicely- ready for the two shows in October.

The bunkers have been finally screwed on. The left hand one contains the receiver and the on/off switch, which protrudes just underneath the floor of the cab. The right bunker has nothing clever. The socket visible connects to the motor, and is the only link with the chassis.

36791343532_c25f2d2a3a_k.jpgBagnall body by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Neal Brodie very kindly put together an electronics package consisting of I don't quite know what bits, but very clever.... to control all the points on Denton Brook, which fit behind the two panels I built. There are similar receiving modules beneath each of the boards as well. Every thing is connected via four wires only - two power, and two signal, carrying multiplexed bi-drectionlan signals.

Amazingly, it works........ it's taken a little while to modify the existing wiring to incorporate it all, but it makes operation incredibly easy, with LED indicators, fed back from the tortoise point motors.

The panel in this photo is in a temporary position which also stops anything from driving off the end when there's no fiddle fitted. Normally the panel mounts to the side of the fiddle yard.

I'm extremely grateful to Neal for his taking the time and trouble to build up these electronic modules! It's far beyond my comprehension and ability!

37333432565_0884455708_k.jpg2017-09-19_10-32-25 by giles favell, on Flickr

2017-09-19_10-32-25 by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 7

And back to the Bagnall.....

I didn't want to use the cast valve wheels, which were just lumps, actually, and so a month ago I made up some etched one's I had onto NS wires, and put them so one side with the smokebox door in a bag.

I've now lost the bag.

I've managed to buy some more (different) valve wheel etched, and silver soldered them onto 0.5mm wire, and glued them onto the loco before I lose them, and also fitted the corresponding pipework.

I now have to make a new smokebox door, which is a pain. It's then over, apart from a bit more weathering a driver and some coal

36661966313_b1dfecd62c_z.jpg2017-09-26_02-34-50 by giles favell, on Flickr

37074701390_222f208abe_z.jpg2017-09-26_02-10-53 by giles favell, on Flickr

37283238316_4ef1bea48b_z.jpgBagnall by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 7

And back to the Bagnall.....

I didn't want to use the cast valve wheels, which were just lumps, actually, and so a month ago I made up some etched one's I had onto NS wires, and put them so one side with the smokebox door in a bag.

I've now lost the bag.

I've managed to buy some more (different) valve wheel etched, and silver soldered them onto 0.5mm wire, and glued them onto the loco before I lose them, and also fitted the corresponding pipework.

I now have to make a new smokebox door, which is a pain. It's then over, apart from a bit more weathering a driver and some coal 36661966313_b1dfecd62c_z.jpg2017-09-26_02-34-50 by giles favell, on Flickr37074701390_222f208abe_z.jpg2017-09-26_02-10-53 by giles favell, on Flickr37283238316_4ef1bea48b_z.jpgBagnall by giles favell, on Flickr

37283238316_4ef1bea48b_c.jpgBagnall by giles favell, on Flickr

Just charming Giles, lovely!
  • Like 1

Two Bagnalls. The original is now running beautifully. At some stage I shall probably replace the motor gear/final drive on the RC Bagnall, as I suspect the final gear may not be entirely true. In any event, it doesn't run as well as I'd like at slow speed - but it will have to do for the moment.

37323438402_7052a6b278_c.jpg2017-09-27_04-22-12 by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 9

Two Bagnalls. The original is now running beautifully. At some stage I shall probably replace the motor gear/final drive on the RC Bagnall, as I suspect the final gear may not be entirely true. In any event, it doesn't run as well as I'd like at slow speed - but it will have to do for the moment.37323438402_7052a6b278_c.jpg2017-09-27_04-22-12 by giles favell, on Flickr

Very nice work Giles, like the subtle differences between the two locos.

Cheers,

Andrew

In the late'70s I had three of these things - although I only got one on the road! They were great fun. Teeny, with a 329cc Excelcior Talisman 2-stroke engine and four speed box with chain drive between the gearbox and the diff. I could only drive it by looking (well) over the windscreen.

37536839572_7ec0e62780_c.jpgBerkeley at Denton Brook by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 12

The T60 indeed..... The four wheel version had all of the disadvantages, but was much less interesting. The three-wheeler taught you to spot pot-holes very precisely, and avoid them with all three wheels, or your spine paid an unusually high price....

But you could genuinely park it in its own length. I frequently used to park the front end in a fairly impossible spot, and then pick up the back, and carry it round. It had style.

• Like 2

In the late'70s I had three of these things - although I only got one on the road! They were great fun. Teeny, with a 329cc Excelcior Talisman 2-stroke engine and four speed box with chain drive between the gearbox and the diff. I could only drive it by looking (well) over the windscreen.37536839572_7ec0e62780_c.jpgBerkeley at Denton Brook by giles favell, on Flickr

Hi Giles,

Always loved the look and concept of the Berkleys et al, reminded me of a special bodied Sebring Sprite.....I later had MKI 'FE' Sprite, tuned to LM/Sebring spec, w/o the hassle of a blower, 110bhp at the back wheels, Safety Fast!

Im from the generation-cause we knew no better?-that thought that the Bond Bug was cool. Mind you as with the three wheeled Morgans, IMHO I always thought it better to have the single wheel at the back....

Cracking little model too Giles.

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

The Bond Bugs WERE cool, in a 70s sort of way, but I dread to think what The handling must have been like ! Certainly the Berkeley handled very well, considering. It was even quite useful in snow, as it just ran along the top of it.

I would have loved a Morgan three wheeler - my Dad had one as his first car - he paid five pounds for it, I believe. The clutch was an acquired art (A cone clutch if memory serves) as it was very much all or nothing.

• Like 2

Apologies for hijack (I like to think of it as historical data Ha ha!), back, iirc, in 1981, when there was some very bad snows, we were into illegal CBs. We used them to help folk through the snow, helping the local hospital and nurses get to said hospital etc etc.

We had a party to go to as well (New Years I think) and the weather was awful, deep snow and still snowing. No worries! We jumped in the Austin 1300, with Mud and Snow tyres fitted, great heater too and as low as it was to the ground, with torque (a thing of the past in most sub 1600/2000cc twin cam modern petrol cars these days) and some tin foil over the grill (CB onboard) we drove from 8 miles the other side of Swindon, to Thruxton airfield-along back roads, never got stuck once! A spare Thermos, a handful of grub and a change of clothes just in case. Nowadays? A couple of mm of snow and everything grinds to a halt with 'eco' tyres and high rev engines.

With Concorde gone....pretty much sums things up really....mindu at least we dont have to weld on a new set of wings every 18 months and/or paint old engine on the underside of our cars! Ha ha!

Kindest,

CME

• Like 1

I've just added another three cable wagons (well, ordinary wagons with a couple of bits of timber on them....) to ring the changes with the existing ones. Ready for this weekend's show!

Chopped out of MDF with a little strapping, but quick and easy.

37398784910_e462278184_c.jpg2017-10-12_05-33-52 by giles favell, on Flickr

36946083864_fc7c246d43_c.jpg2017-10-12_05-34-16 by giles favell, on Flickr

36946088604_290aec68b4_c.jpg2017-10-12_05-34-35 by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 12

Looks good to me for a "quick and easy", they've got that "chewed" look that wood gets when it's had heavy things dumped on/ dragged over it.

As for Berkeleys, some complete and utter loon took one to Mongolia last year on the Mongol charity rally- was fitted with a 400cc superdream engine if I remember rightly but still an utterly daft choice for overland adventuring. It made it, albeit the last few hundred miles strapped to the roof of a Lada!

• Like 2

I'm delighted to say that the RC Bagnall did a full 7 hours non stop duty at today's exhibition (Farnham show at Aldershot). This without any recharging.... I've just got it back to the hotel and put it on charge, and it's only taken 15 minutes of charge, which suggests it's used very little of its capacity! (I charge at 1S, so a full charge would take an hour....).

All in all, it's remarkably successful at it's job.

We were also kindly awarded the most voted for layout, which is delightful, and made us feel warm inside - or was the the nice beer they gave us......

Martin and Ken did a stirling job through the day with no breaks - bless them.

• Like 7