Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

• 3 weeks later...

Back from a frantic weekend at Warley, where it never stopped for us...... We were kindly awarded Best Large Scale Layout, which was wonderful, presented by Lady McAlpine, who's an amazing lasdy!.

It has been a real team effort with Di, my wife, Martin and Ken - without whom we simply don't do shows - so thank you once again! Also big thanks to John C for working hard on Saturday..... join us anytime!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our mate Martin (of 'The Yard' notoriety...) habitually operates the standard gauge section of Denton Brook, which can get quite busy...... 

After Warley, he requested the addition of a rack to hold his tea and biscuits, and also a holder for the controller....... Not wanting to spoil him, he can do without tea and biscuits, but I thought he could do with a controller holder....    I've done three different itterations - all on the same principle, but the first two with back-plates that would take two star knobs to fix them to the base--board.

The problem I then found was that the only place I would then be able to fit the controller would be on the face of the scenic section, which I really didn't want to do as a matter of principle. The third version therefore sits within the mounting angle for the point control panel, and uses the same star knob for fixing. Much neater! Printed in PLA, it's lovely and strong, and doesn't wobble when you press buttons. It also whips straight out of the holder should one require......

46826838781_ec0a4b853e_c.jpg

2019-01-21_02-19-13 by giles favell, on Flickr

(The panel normally fits on the fiddle for exhibition, but I've got no room for that at home, so I put it on the end - which also stops stuff falling off!

46826832801_fcf80a0804_c.jpg

2019-01-21_02-18-48 by giles favell, on Flickr

32951667088_66652189fe_c.jpg

2019-01-21_03-05-29 by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As some know, the latest arrival to the factory at Denton Brook is an Aveling Porter Traction Engine (owned by a Manager there I believe - he likes to play...)

This radio controlled model is based on a Duncan's Models white metal kit, with working motion added, wheels machined down and neoprene tyres fitted. A 400mAh battery under the canopy will run it for most of the day. A 120rpm motor is fitted transversly in the firebox driving halfway up the laser-cut gear train.

This is my first try at something like this, and a lot has been learned.....

48097753098_d9a6b9d29c_b.jpg

TE1 by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On the back of this, I have been experimenting with viable differential gearboxes, and built two different types. One with four bevel gears, which is 13mm x 8.5mm diameter, and the other a spur gear type which is 7.5mm wide x 18.3mm diameter,

Both have their uses, but on the whole, the bevel gearbox is much easier to make, and is perhaps more versatile.

48388137062_e0ff8ec54c_b.jpg

Differentials 1 and 2 by giles favell, on Flickr

48386577937_ebedefa939_b.jpg

Differential 2 by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 months later...

Thank you very much Gents!

The back scene is printed on front-projection screen cloth (matt), and has pockets top and bottom.  The top is threaded on to a ten foot length of 40 x 20mm ERA steel (rectangular hollow section), which is rigid enough to stay straight and not sag over that length. It is supported at each end by two heavy photographic light stands, and has a further smaller tube in the bottom pocket to keep it stretched. The bottom is set just below sight-lines or the lower eye-line, so the viewer can never quite see the bottom of the cloth. The whole cloth is around 300mm or so behind the back of the layout, and not pushed right up to it.

I have not shown the Bedford TK Tipper on this thread I see..... this uses the cab from the Altaya artic model, and the front of the chassis, but is spliced to a scratch-built chassis behind the fuel tank. The tipper body works, and has an automatic latching tail-gate.

48671034771_83a6dabf8c_b.jpg

2019-09-03_01-33-52 by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

17 hours ago, Michael Crofts said:

May I ask how your backscene is mounted, and does it touch the rear of the baseboard or is there a gap?

Very nice to see you in here Michael - I thought I knew you from the larger world! I did a bit in 10 1/4°....

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Giles said:

Thank you very much Gents!

The back scene is printed on front-projection screen cloth (matt), and has pockets top and bottom.  The top is threaded on to a ten foot length of 40 x 20mm ERA steel (rectangular hollow section), which is rigid enough to stay straight and not sag over that length. It is supported at each end by two heavy photographic light stands, and has a further smaller tube in the bottom pocket to keep it stretched. The bottom is set just below sight-lines or the lower eye-line, so the viewer can never quite see the bottom of the cloth. The whole cloth is around 300mm or so behind the back of the layout, and not pushed right up to it.

I have not shown the Bedford TK Tipper on this thread I see..... this uses the cab from the Altaya artic model, and the front of the chassis, but is spliced to a scratch-built chassis behind the fuel tank. The tipper body works, and has an automatic latching tail-gate.

48671034771_83a6dabf8c_b.jpg

2019-09-03_01-33-52 by giles favell, on Flickr

Very nice. I have an IXO rigid version on order but it looks too long overall and in wheelbase, yours seems much more in proportion.

• 3 months later...