Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a pile of the Skytrex resin cable drums - but I thought I'd make some empty drums myself (courtesy of the laser cutter). These are done form 0.8mm laser ply, with each side double-thickness, to give cross-planking, and the centre drum half-cut planks rolled and inserted into a matching hole in the inner side... if you can follow....

It works well, but they're quite pricy at £1 each material cost. The smaller one in the centre is a Skytrex casting.

IMG_1734_zpsyrxiryxt.jpg

• Like 12

Having had one disaster with my 08, where it took off by itself, and drove itself off the layout onto the floor (where it destroyed one buffer, and a couple of other small items) I spent some time restoring it, and have now also fitted the screen wipers I've been meaning to

CD745203-E3B8-43C1-8E94-6E5F1C7BF6C5_zps

D7AA2F64-2C3B-4418-9B7F-D5450F8FC405_zps

FA86760A-581E-4800-B9F7-02548FFEC944_zps

Guard irons next - and weathering!

• Like 9

Having had one disaster with my 08, where it took off by itself, and drove itself off the layout onto the floor (where it destroyed one buffer, and a couple of other small items)......

Guard irons next - and weathering!

.... and buffer stops!!! ;) :jester:

Only kidding; did it some years ago between my lad & I, but fortunately it was a £20 Atlas Plymouth rather than anything rather expensive!!

I've now made and fitted the guard irons to the 08. They are of 20 thou nickel Silver (for my convenience) which I profile milled with my little Proxxon pantograph, having laser cut patterns twice the size. They are epoxied on to the back face of the frames. The rear ones are very straight forward (albeit 1.5mm shorter than the front) and just require some very gentle beale to align them with the rails. The front ones however, are obstructed by a pair of misplaced air tanks, which require the guard irons to currie tightly around them, before bending back in over the rail. The deviation doesn't notice in reality - only the final location over the rail head.

On the whole, it is a job very well worth doing, as it fills out the underside visually.

The loco frames have also had their initial weathering consisting of a random mix of Matt black, gunmetal, 62 and engineering brick blue in varying mixes all over, and then covered in talc to give it texture. This I then gave a dirty black thinners wash, which got rid of the white of any remaining talc (I had brushed off all the loose talc, if course), and I have added a little Base brake dust around the brake shoes. It will get more oil, rust and brake dust.

IMG_0878_zpsan2f1569.jpg

IMG_0880_zpsgmn3umqg.jpg

IMG_0879_zpsq3za57pu.jpg

The screen wipers I painted with metallic gunmetal, which improves them. I also laser cut templates to go over the windows with holes in for drilling guides for fitting them.

IMG_0877_zpsxnn94z8d.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 6

Basically done now - I got the air-brush out to give a bit of a blow with a matt black/metalcote gunmetal mix (go light on the gunmetal, otherwise it's very grey), followed by straight matt black. This was particularly for the baneful of the bonnet top. After about three minutes (Quick drying thinners used...) I got a clean, flat brush, and worked some of the spray off again - always in vertical strokes. This allows for a bit of rain washing. 

Various bits have also received some very subtle dry brushing, with an extremely dry flat brush. gently working it on until you only just see the tint coming on and then stopping. This was mostly done with rust colours, and gives a little dimension and layering - on the body, this was only done in vertical strokes (again.)

This is of course after the usual cut with 2000 grit wet-and-dry, and a buff to get a nice smooth paint job initially..... followed by a base weathering with oil soluble Lamp black.

IMG_0897_zps55equnoo.jpg

IMG_0896_zpshng9y77c.jpg

IMG_0895_zps7fytges7.jpg

IMG_0890_zpsb6mugisw.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 11

Basically done now - I got the air-brush out to give a bit of a blow with a matt black/metalcote gunmetal mix (go light on the gunmetal, otherwise it's very grey), followed by straight matt black. This was particularly for the baneful of the bonnet top. After about three minutes (Quick drying thinners used...) I got a clean, flat brush, and worked some of the spray off again - always in vertical strokes. This allows for a bit of rain washing. 

Various bits have also received some very subtle dry brushing, with an extremely dry flat brush. gently working it on until you only just see the tint coming on and then stopping. This was mostly done with rust colours, and gives a little dimension and layering - on the body, this was only done in vertical strokes (again.)

This is of course after the usual cut with 2000 grit wet-and-dry, and a buff to get a nice smooth paint job initially..... followed by a base weathering with oil soluble Lamp black.

IMG_0897_zps55equnoo.jpg

IMG_0896_zpshng9y77c.jpg

IMG_0895_zps7fytges7.jpg

IMG_0890_zpsb6mugisw.jpg

Love the 08, and Denton Brook, a perceptive and artistic piece of modelling which really captures the atmosphere of an industrial railway. You should be very proud of yourself for creating such a masterpiece.

Davey

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you All!

A fortnight ago I gave my Ixion Hudswell Clarke to my latest grand-nephew, who will be brought up properly. His older brother was given my ex W & U tram loco, so it's only right that they have a loco each.

This Hudswell Clarke is the black one that saw service on The End of THE Line, and I was really quite fond of it. Some years ago I got a basket case of Ebay - a red lined one - so I thought I would build it up, and paint it Garratt colour for service on Denton Brook. This involved filing the tank smooth, and sanding the existing paint off. It was then primed in black to get the deeper colour.

IMG_2399_zpsxapr0ape.jpg

IMG_2397_zpsckztfbgi.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Fire escape coming together. It's surprisingly resilient, and can be twisted around without breaking. I have yet to draw the hand rails and cut these.AD515DB7-A1B5-4D74-89A7-270E665F72AA_zpsD17E35B7-ABC2-4B37-8F90-CA119FBC5BA5_zps

Hi Giles, I've been directed over here to look at your steel staircase. Very impressed, sorry if I missed it but what are it's origins? Many thanks

Hi Giles, I've been directed over here to look at your steel staircase. Very impressed, sorry if I missed it but what are it's origins? Many thanks

It's made by Giles himself. Available bespoke/to order to anyone who wants one too, follow his link www.bygiles.com under his signature. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well.....

Finally had our first show at RAILEX - entirely enabled by Martin and Ken, without whom it would simply not be possible (or probably any fun, but I wouldn't dream of mentioning that...)

It was a first class show, without a single duff layout, and of course it was Pempoul's swan song.

We managed to bring everything, and even got the whole lot in and on the car - which was an achievement in itself. I found Saturday extremely stressful, as the layout had never been fully assembled before, due to space constraints - but we got away with it. For a layout with only an 8' scenic area it proved an extremely labour-intensive operation. Ideally, four operators are required (not counting spares), but three is manageable, which makes it very hard work for a team of four. We may need to move up to a team of five!

However it proved very popular, with audience several rows deep pretty constantly. Ironically, the two cranes and the lorries probably created the most interest, and I don't think anyone even spotted the birds on the fence...!

Di isn't asleep, but attending to something EXTREMLY IMPORTANT or something.

IMG_2434_zps5rnsvvmh.jpg

IMG_1815_zps19lkgpjz.jpg

IMG_1795_zpsnituvpwk.jpg

IMG_1821_zpswc17ensc.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 17

We are doing the Farnham and District show at Aldershot, 14 and 15th Oct, and the Uckfield show in West Sussex.

Do make yourself known and come and have a play!

Look forward to seeing you

Edited by Giles

• RMweb Gold

We are doing the Farnham and District show at Aldershot, 14 and 15th Oct,band the Uckfueld show in West Sussex.

Do make yourself known and come and have a play!

Look forward to seeing you

Yes just to confirm, Giles has kindly agreed to exhibit Denton Brook at the Uckfield show - 21st & 22nd October.

http://www.uckfieldmrc.co.uk/exhib17nf.html