Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

I'm certainly at the stage where I wonder why I bothered with this new chassis..... It wasn't meant to take this long! Like Kafka's 'Castle', the closer you get, the further away it seems...

Never mind,it IS getting there- I've finished milling all the valve gear and done all the pre-assembly, and it all articulates nicely. I still have the valve spindles to make, and then paint and assemble in a right mixture.

The various bits of valve gear were right on the edge (or indeed right over the edge) of what I could see to do. The milling is no problem, but drilling the ends was a nightmare to see. I used some really good quality 0.46dia drills to pilot, and then opened them out to 0.65dia,and reduced pins for assembly. The Proxxon drill is superb, and i shall use no other, as the saying goes!

35742882080_7f61cfe960_c.jpgMilled valve gear 0-14 Bagnall by giles favell, on Flickr

36135720225_02ac62a63f_c.jpgCylinders SSoldered on by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 6

I've fitted balance weights using Milliput as usual, and painted the chassis and wheels. I've also used Casey's Gun Blue for the first time and it's brilliant! I also blackened the gear to make it less visible.

Before painting, i also melted some lead into the cylinders and behind the buffer beam to help with the balance.

35320761644_aef05b8052_c.jpgAssembly of Bagnall chassis by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 9

Having a spare hour yesterday, i thought I'd make some new coupling rods for the Roy Link Bagnall, to get that back into running order, as I think it was the originals having been messed about so much that was causing the poor running (combined with pick-ups).

It is so nice and easy to draw up very accurate rods with precise hole spacing, laser them, and then just mill them out. Lo and behold the wheels spin nicely. I still have to try in under power though.

35340961404_ac3dbcace6_k.jpgNew coupling rods for RCL Bagnall by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 8

New coupling rods did the trick with the RCL Bagnall, which is now put back together with a new decoder and pick-up, and appears to be working fine...

The RC Wrightlines Bagnall will now get its slide bars, cylinder end covers and cross head. The order of assembly of these is going to be awkward, but we'll manage.

35470914844_e01639fab0_z.jpgA tale of two Bagnalls by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 8

Finally got the slide bars, cross heads and con rods on - for the final time - and it rolls very sweetly. The next job will be fitting all the valve gear which I'll take all of five minutes. Not.

I ALSO picked up an Andrew Barclay on EBay last week. Much of it had been quite nicely and carefully built up, but it had gone wrong at the final hurdle, and the boiler with all its fittings had rotated between five and ten degrees. The smoke box door had rotated even more than that! Added to which, the paint job wasn't really my thing, so it all got stripped whilst I was waiting for araldite to dry, and various bit removed and rectified, the boiler positioned correctly and levelled, as is now ready for primer. It will stay like this for some time, as i shall have to build a new chassis for it (0-14).

36251421531_80ea8d0995_k.jpgRestored Andrew Barclay by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Giles,

Just having a catch-up session on this topic, some terrific work on the Bagnall.  I haven't added any "likes" as I would probably exceed my allowance.

Looking forward to seeing the layout (and you of course) at Uckfield.

All the best, Dave.

• Like 1

Apart from some final painting, the RC Bagnall's chassis is now finished. I'm pleased to say it appears to work well, with the milled valve gear (the second set) coming out nicely - giving me a better appearance than an etched equivalent, being thicker (0.028") but finer in section - and certainly massively better than I could achieve by hand! The motor/gearbox/worm combination also seems very satisfactory, giving me exactly the sort of speeds I was after,

Videos of the chassis under its own power

this one is at the full 3.7v

and this one is at 1.5v

Edited by Giles
  • Like 5

Hi mate,

This is the battery (from Micron) http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/lipo_cyl.html

The 650 mAh one.......

These need wires soldering to them. When it's complete, the only connectors there will be will be one from the receiver to the motor (body to chassis) which you can just see in the video - I'm afraid I don't know the technical name for them, but you can buy 50 of them for a couple if quid on eBay. They're miniature radio control type. The other connector is a magnetic connector for charging - which I will have to watch doesn't pick anything up and short....

Hi mate,

This is the battery (from Micron) http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/lipo_cyl.html

The 650 mAh one.......

These need wires soldering to them. When it's complete, the only connectors there will be will be one from the receiver to the motor (body to chassis) which you can just see in the video - I'm afraid I don't know the technical name for them, but you can buy 50 of them for a couple if quid on eBay. They're miniature radio control type. The other connector is a magnetic connector for charging - which I will have to watch doesn't pick anything up and short....

Hi Giles,

Many, many thanks. I think that - after having a little dabble, recently with 1/10 RC 'rock crawlers' - having decent battery/power leads (read:- 'connectors'), that prevent shorting are the key to safety and longevity.

RC still appeals to me for my locos, yet I need to iron out a few things on the larger mainline Heljans et al.

Kindest regards,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Using the boiler space to house the battery, it seemed sensible to have some access, and so I've made the saddle tank removable, rather than soldering it on. It meant soldering a tab on internally each side, and threading it 8BA.

36544660581_d9bbcb1c2c_k.jpgBagnall removable saddle tank by giles favell, on Flickr

36636855536_5d24c0347d_k.jpgBagnall exposed battery by giles favell, on Flickr

Meanwhile, the left hand bunker houses the receiver and the on/off switch

36636869186_bdd3b7466e_k.jpgBagnall with switch. Receiver also fitted in bunker by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 3

Wow, excellent modelling Giles, and working with white metal isn't exactly the easiest of materials to work with.

Keep up the good work, I always enjoy reading your updates.

ATB,

Martyn.

Painting is coming on a pace, although there will be a break for a while now.

All the green is done on all parts, just the black required. Then weathering.

This is the saddle tank. Etch primer, rub down, followed by Halfords Brooklands Green, and then cut back and polished, as normal. The little specs are dust, as this process gives you an entirely clean and smooth finish.

35906247453_ba118d2902_z.jpgBagnall saddle tank painted by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 4

I know it sounds silly, but if Halfords do the right colour, i would rather use that - as being intended to paint cars, it has to cover and perform well, whereas hobby paints do vary a little. The downside to a Halfords tends to be the crudity of the spray, but with care it goes on fine, but leaves an unbearably glossy finish, which i then deal with using wet and dry (which i would also use on Humbrol). The Garratt is also a Halfords job....

35627326225_ac342cedd2_k.jpgGarratt by Giles Favell by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Videos of the chassis under its own power

That valve gear, and indeed the whole chassis, is an absolute work of art.

It's also nice to see how such complicated gear works in slow motion.

Edited by Kylestrome

Thanks Giles,

Ive found similar issues with Halfords paints, the features and benefits as well as the down-sides. Some spray paints have superb nozzles and delivery, the old JLTRT cellulose versions and indeed the special mix auto sprays (£15.00 a can jobs), which are pricey but good. Halfords, primers and matt/satin blacks seem to spray very well too, nearly as good as Tamiya sprays. I wonder why such nozzles/solutions cant be applied to their (Halfords) autocolour ranges?

Your results are superb though-very impressive!

Kind regards,

M.

Having done one show, the poor people landed with most of the operation found the constant button pressing on the Prodegy handset to change all the points very hard-going, and put in a plea for an easier, more conventional panel for point control. They even extremely kindly volunteered to get the difficult bits made up for me......

So I've made up the two panels - one 'master' panel, and one panel for the factory operator. These will then have all sorts of electronic rubbish fitted behind, which I'm assured are magical and simple, and easy for me to wire in, etc. Etc.......

These panels are very simply drawn up in Autocad, and layered out of 2mm MDF. The 'track was then stained darker, and then glued back into the original panel. A second backing panel of 2mm also with corresponding holes for LEDs and switches layered out was then glued to the back to stiffen it up. Some pretty mahogany left over from our ex boat wat then cut up as a surround...

36010559813_85c7580bc7_k.jpgDenton Brook New Control Panels by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 4

I've been reading this thread and 'The End of the Line' during my breaks over the past few days and adding 'craftmanship' comments along the way. May I say I don't believe I've ever seen modelling of a higher standard, and the videos give an even clearer idea of the excellence of every detail. Things I particularly like are the walking gatekeeper, the simplicity of the wagon tippler on End of the Line, the stormy backscene, and the patina on the Garrett paintwork - apart of course from the engineering brilliance of the various trucks. This is one of those layouts (or two) that really raise the bar on what it is possible to achieve. Thank you for sharing it.

Alan