Coal discharge facility

LNERGE

Richard,

The last couple of seconds of your Barrington film shows the difference between your model and the real thing. The real thing looks to have a last stage, where the rail platform levels out to match the ground level. 

Andy G

Considerable effort has been expended making mine do this. After spending quite a while watching one at an exhibition i concluded that was it's only failing. The plans, article and model featured in Railway Modeller fail to acknowledge this first/last movement. It's a shame as it is a 'freeby', simply picking up or dropping the bridge from a level base from a position where the bridge is off of balance. No addition machinery is required.

A couple of shots of the first instance of rotation.. Edited to include the 13 tonner arrested photo.

post-4034-0-20846400-1428052893_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-76758100-1428052940_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-85631300-1428053456_thumb.jpg

And a few more detail shots of the Barrington installation..

post-4034-0-90002700-1428053079_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-87221900-1428053033_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-66307700-1428053027_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Richard, I should have paid more attention to the video! Looking again, I can see that it does move. I wonder if the weight of the wagon has any baring on the way it behaves while being tipped?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

The side pad on the Barrington tippler moves towards the wagon as it tips, this is what keeps the wheels on the rail. Yours (and the one I built for Cwmafon 30 odd years ago) just moves the top bar on to the wagon. Wagon heights vary quite a bit but all are roughly the same width.

The side pad on the Barrington tippler moves towards the wagon as it tips, this is what keeps the wheels on the rail. Yours (and the one I built for Cwmafon 30 odd years ago) just moves the top bar on to the wagon. Wagon heights vary quite a bit but all are roughly the same width.

The side pad at Barrington and on mine is fixed to the ends. The bridge is picked up off of balance and the wagon falls against the side bar. During rotation the wagon collides with the top bar which is heavily weighted to hold the wagon in place.

I did a quick conversion from the figures given in OzzyO's post (no 40); 13 cubic yards is 351 cubic feet. BR Diagram 1/071 shows the capacity for the 13t Sand Tippler as being 330 cu feet, so the wagon would seem to be too small for its maximum load, if loaded flat to the top of the sides.

I did say approx. for the weight. I was going on the size of the builders delivery bags. that are approx. 1 cubic yard.

! cubic metre of wet sand = 1.8t

so that T will equal the metric tonne that is smaller than the imperial ton, (1 tonne =0.9842 ton,  1 ton =1.016tonne).

1 cubic metre = 1.308 cubic yards.

OzzyO.

After seeing the gradient in this shot i'm sorely tempted to try this as a method of wagon disposal after unloading...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billpenang/8252843585/in/faves-32297024@N08/

Even my wagons will run down that gradient. Getting them to push through the spring point would be another issue though if it was carefully made with that in mind i'm sure it could be made to work. 

The question is what lurks in the four foot on the output line?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billpenang/8203926151/in/faves-32297024@N08/

I really hope someone shot movie footage of this in operation? I suspect the wagons become trapped by the gradient at each end of this line and it's some sort of beetle to take the wagons away in a controlled manner.

Edited by LNERGE

• 5 years later...