Coal discharge facility

LNERGE

Upthread i wasn't sure how i would use the tipper installation. I've decided to go for a coal concentration depot, or at least imply that is what it serves. this leaves the power station idea with only one option... and a start has been made..

post-4034-0-90171200-1426268914_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a quick search round the net i found a motor and gearbox i thought might do the job. The first try was with a 60 to 1 ratio. I doubt a wagon catapult would catch on. I was surprised how far it chucked the wagon.

Next i tried the 288 to 1 ratio...

Back to searching the net for something more suitable..

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Richard,

How about getting hold of an old mains driven electric clock? These have 240v motors with gearing that will probably be about right. Or how about the drive head for something like a honeywell central heating valve. The drive is again 240v, but possibly a bit quicker than a clock mech.

Andy G

That looks like a super little gearbox. I'm put of but the statement that it will strip the gears if stalled. I've built this to show the kids how it was done and their little fingers and where they place them have to be taken into account. I reckon it'll be good for the Rotaside as there needs to be a belt in the drive train.

I do have some clock mechanisms tucked away so i'll start the process of finding them. 

A rummage in the parts box produced a matching pair of coreless motors. I have reverted to the original 60 to 1 gearbox. A proper battery holder, control switches and limit switches fitted. I think the speed looks about right now..

• Like 1

The speed looks a bit quick, don't forget that the real thing was lifting about 30 tons or more. Also the angle looks a bit to steep, bring it down by about 15 deg. and I think that it would be about right.

A nice job all the same.

OzzyO.

PS. a small point on the 21/24 ton wagon why is the diagonal strip on the fixed end of the wagon?

Edited by ozzyo

PS. a small point on the 21/24 ton wagon why is the diagonal strip on the fixed end of the wagon?

I was given a job lot of around 10 of these wagons with the stripe on the wrong end. It's a factory error, not mine. I'll sort it one day. The intended wagons are the Parkside 24 1/2 minerals (with the yellow triangle)..

The angle of dangle is easily adjusted via a 'cam' on the end of the shaft. I'll fiddle in due course. 

Some progress with the Rotaside today. Here's a short movie of me brutally testing it. I will carry on in due course as i'm sure it's going to work reliably. The bridge is a lash up to help with proving etc. 

• Like 2

The Rotaside is now under power but i'm less than happy with it. Here it is tippling a 21 ton hopper..

I haven't located my 13 ton sand tipplers to try yet. How did we end up with such small wagons for sand traffic? Were they that size to prevent overloading? Surely wet sand isn't that heavy?

There must be a good reason for such a small wagon but I can't think of it. The Marks Tey and Middleton Towers jobs both used 16 tonners.

I did a quick conversion from the figures given in OzzyO's post (no 40); 13 cubic yards is 351 cubic feet. BR Diagram 1/071 shows the capacity for the 13t Sand Tippler as being 330 cu feet, so the wagon would seem to be too small for its maximum load, if loaded flat to the top of the sides.

I found my 13 tonner. The bumf i have on the Rotaside says it copes with wagons between seven and ten feet high. My model(standard Bachmann) comes out at six feet nine high but tipples just fine. I wonder what height the type is in the official drawing?

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Premium

Richard,

The last couple of seconds of your Barrington film shows the difference between your model and the real thing. The real thing looks to have a last stage, where the rail platform levels out to match the ground level. On your model this looks fixed (Is it?). I presume the reson for this extra moving part is to keep the wheels on the rails, as, shown by your model film, if this platform doesn't move up at the outer edge, when the rotation starts the wagon falls to the side, which when coming back down again, could lead to the outer wheels landing on the outside of the outer rail.

Interesting film, its amazing how much of this stuff hasn't been recorded.

Andy G