The costs of running a website - how cheap? Free?

TEAMYAKIMA

A railway club I know of has a website. The costs to the club have been NIL because a member has piggybacked it onto his business webiste - you can see that I'm not technical!

That arrangement is about to end .... perople have told me of 'free' hosting sites...... can someone explain the costs/options please? - to a NON-TECHNICAL person!!

The Club's website has multiple pages and needs to be regularly updated by the club's webmaster ... they just need a ahosting site.

Before you jump for anything, think what you actually want website for. Always best to keep it simple. I have seen too many websites which look like they have relevant info, but much is not updated regularly. Maintenance is the key, so a simple blog(free) might be sufficient to put latest info on.

Any particular reason? Nothing wrong with cpanel, use it to host all my clients websites.

We go with cpanel too (and interworx) these two and plesk are the admin tools most people ask for, it's pretty much a matter of personal choice or, in the case of Dutch Master, what you are used to.

Pricing is similar to that mentioned by knapper, some places can offer cheaper hosting but there will be a reason it is cheaper, poor support/slow response, poor performance etc.

Chris H

Using M8 internet for our clubs site www.exemrs.co.uk

We've actually changed our name to Manage My Hosting, as we felt it was more appropriate in the long term, and the M8 Internet website is about to become a place holder which will redirect as the number of visitors decreases

Ironically, I had already sent the OP a PM with some basic details

I've not looked into it, but we could offer clubs here a small discount

To keep prices down we don't do any advertising

Basically while there are free hosting sites they pretty much always come with some kind of forced advertising, whether they push them into your website content (i.e banner,footer etc) or have a simple yet highly annoying pop up one's (unless you have a good ad blocker).  They also have a habit of occasionally running really slowly or not working at all.  Your other option of course (assuming you have a domain name.. .co.uk, .com etc) is to simply pay for web hosting.  For a small club site I would seriously doubt that you would need anything more than a couple of quid a month would solve but try to use a company that has been running for years and is reliable. There are some that advertise because they have purshased a reseller option and if they don't get the customers they will suddenly vanish 1 day and leave you stuck in the mud.  So stay off ebay, stick to a main company and don't choose the most expensive plan unless your aiming to become more visited than amazon.  

As rue says above though, maybe a simple wordpress blog page might be better?  Content is easily added and managed, there's thousands of nice little plugins and themes to choose from.  I guess it's down to what your club members are capable of

Guest 40-something

Ive been using Weebly for a couple of years now for the site in my link, never a problem, free site but have to pay for your domain name (I use names.co.uk for the domain)

• RMweb Gold

I find this company to be not too bad, although I don't make much use of the site at present.

https://www.names.co.uk/

We use them for our business. Generally good.

Not the easiest in terms of updating the website but still OK. E-mail not brilliant but, like most providers, they do  allow you multiple e-mail addresses (10) which is quite  useful in a club context.

I'm using https://ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk. They seem pretty good. I had a few technical problems at the start, but they're pretty good at sorting them out without a lot of hassle, and now everything runs smoothly. I moved from https://www.names.co.uk/ because they didn't support some software I wanted to run, but think UK Web Solutions are better and cheaper anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Hosting is never free. Period. If you don't pay the ISP directly, he'll make money from you via advertising. So, forget "free" hosting and pay for an ad-free club website. If only to prevent "embarrassing" or "adult-content" ads associated with the clubs website :rolleyes:

Especially ones for the wrong kind of "Models"

• RMweb Gold

I've been very happy with 1and1.co.uk for years now.

Regards

Keith

When 1and1 started phoning me up offering me free trials of things I didn't want, to be told I didn't want them, and then to invoice me for the 'free' trial that I didn't want they soon got told where to go.

Andi

• 5 months later...

I use evohosting for my business website and mast say that their up time and customer service is brilliant. They offer various packages starting from £3-99 as can be seen here https://www.evohosting.co.uk/web-hosting/starter/. It comes with cpanel which means several hundreds of free additional software programs to help run your site including several website builders, databases and email. There is no limits on storage or bandwidth.

I have no connection to this company apart from te fact that i use them for website hosting.

When 1and1 started phoning me up offering me free trials of things I didn't want, to be told I didn't want them, and then to invoice me for the 'free' trial that I didn't want they soon got told where to go.

Andi

Never had that on any of the 3 sites I have run with them.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Premium

A railway club I know of has a website. The costs to the club have been NIL because a member has piggybacked it onto his business webiste - you can see that I'm not technical!

That arrangement is about to end .... perople have told me of 'free' hosting sites...... can someone explain the costs/options please? - to a NON-TECHNICAL person!!

The Club's website has multiple pages and needs to be regularly updated by the club's webmaster ... they just need a ahosting site.

Google "free web hosting" and then compare what each host has to offer.

http://www.aquiss.net/hosting.php

I've had 5 Fibre/ADSL lines with them for years and they have been incredibly reliable and helpful. If I discover an issue of any kind they are inevitably already on it and it gets sorted quickly. No call centre support stuff either, their support are very techy. Ive sent a few people their way for hosting and not heard a thing - a very good sign. I run my own dedicated server so don't use hosting myself, but I have checked it out and all looks good (and I am picky.) 

Theres no such thing as free lunch hosting, but less than the price of a pint a month is pretty dam close ;)

There are many ways of hosting a website/blog, most people will jump in feet first without a real clue to the mechanics of actually keeping on up to date and how to promote it to get "hits". The whole point of having a website is to get people to look at it, rank highly and then hopefully generate some income from it to help pay the running costs.

Generally a non specific domain should cost no more than about $22 bi-annually to renew, cost of hosting can be as little as $3.50 a month ( the web currency is the US$ for most of us).

Personally I use Hawkhost, they are very reliable, have 24hr 365 support, and if some thing does go wrong they fix it, operating CPanel is now easier than ever, you can even upload the most popular hosting software and try  it FOC, all through CPanel.

I don't like community hosted sites, they are just basic HTML and look very poor, first impressions count, and if you are serious about having a website for a club there are very cheap and even free platforms available, much better than the 20yr old systems that community billboards use.

The most important thing is linking everything together, your website, Facebook and Twitter should all be linked to each other, that is the way to get people interacting.

Recent changes in domain registration also mean that you are no longer restricted to the .co.uk/.com  type domain extension, in fact you can literally choose any extension you want.

I have recently done a webpage to list all my model railway locos/rolling stock I am disposing of (see link below).

I used sitebuilder which seemed ok (and is free for creater - although I keep getting messages to upgrade and get a domain name included).  Also, previous comments are right about adverts, although other than a banner at the bottom either my pop-up blocker is doing its job or there isnt many ads).

The advice given in earlier responses is good and in some ways I wish I had read that first as I might have gone to another web host.  However as for me this is a (hopefully) limited time purpose, I went with something which seemed like a good option.  Im not sure what anyone else thinks but unless its me, the webpages seem a little slow (and the images on the site are only tiny in size).  I think it could well be worth paying a few £s for something you are likely to want to keep and develop it for the club.

As this was my first ever go at my own webpages any postive (or dare I say "constructive comments" would be appreciated).

Chris

Archived