Finney A3 - Knight of the Thistle

Hi all,

Finally got round to soldering the cab to the boiler, which took longer than expected (should know better by now!) to ensure that all was absolutely square (used wife's marble work top to verify all square). Cartezi trailing axle boxes next to finish chassis then copper pipework around forward areas of the boiler. Copies of any close up photos of real A3 forward boiler, depicting the copper pipework would be much appreciated. Failing that, I will simply copy DIKITRIKI's excellent example on his model. I can now see the bottom of the kit box and there don't seem to be many bits left with exception of smoke deflectors and their frames and the cab/back head fittings which I intend to complete last. Then on to the GNR tender kit!!!

Nigel

Dikitriki,

I think I am persuaded by the DJH argument and have ordered the first reference book from Amazon already to build a Brit next. Having spent £9.99 on the book, I cannot see why my wife does not understand that it would be non-sensical to buy the model, wheels and motor to accompany the reference material. Maybe a candle lit meal in McDonalds or Pizza Hut will soften her attitude! Or maybe I should concentrate on one build at a time?

Nigel

Dikitriki,

I think I am persuaded by the DJH argument and have ordered the first reference book from Amazon already to build a Brit next. Having spent £9.99 on the book, I cannot see why my wife does not understand that it would be non-sensical to buy the model, wheels and motor to accompany the reference material. Maybe a candle lit meal in McDonalds or Pizza Hut will soften her attitude! Or maybe I should concentrate on one build at a time?

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Sound choice.

Personally, I favour the loads of projects on the go approach. Then you can dip in and out of your current favourite, take 10 years to finish anything, rebuild everything 3 times, and wear out the bearings and motor before you paint anything.

Spot on with the reference material too. You have to buy the model to check the books have got it right. All too often I find a part in the kit where clearly all the published pictures are wrong, and the manufacturer has used a closely guarded secret source in his production. You need to know this before buying another book, and the only way to check is to have all the model parts in front of you.

Regards

Richard

Spot on with the reference material too. You have to buy the model to check the books have got it right. All too often I find a part in the kit where clearly all the published pictures are wrong, and the manufacturer has used a closely guarded secret source in his production.

It's not only authors you need to look out for. Quite often preservationists are just as bad. You name it, they've got it wrong, boilers, smokeboxes, tenders, loco wheelbase. They even deliberately copy each other so all of a preserved example will be wrong, just to fool us. What are we to do!

:D

• 1 year later...

It's not only authors you need to look out for. Quite often preservationists are just as bad. You name it, they've got it wrong, boilers, smokeboxes, tenders, loco wheelbase. They even deliberately copy each other so all of a preserved example will be wrong, just to fool us. What are we to do!

biggrin.gif

Hi, did this ever get completed......is it continued elsewhere?

• 1 year later...

Didnt quite finish it yet! So busy with other projects, house move, job move etc. As Christmas nears, looking forward to some valuable leave and to get cracking on completing Knight of Thistle - especially as it is sat on bookshelf begging to be polished. Just hope all the bits and bobs are still in the box. It has been moved so many times. Could become a record for longest time to finish one of Martin Finneys excellent kits??

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Nigel, Merry Christmas

Yes it has been a long time and Spearmint should have been finished a couple years ago. Sadly I have had so many other commitments and distractions along the way and now I am struggling to find the enthusiasm to continue.

I keep a very regular eye on all the forums and enjoy reading other peoples work, I really hope that after Christmas I can make a start on modelling again.

Spearmint is nearly finished, the tender is complete and the main loco just needs some detail work and the cab interior completing.

Perhaps the new year can be a new chapter for both of us, I would love to see more of your work again.

I would attach a picture here but I can't remember how to even do that.

Christian: did you ever complete your Warship you were doing over on "Building "O" gauge online"?

I'd be interested in the end of that one too, having now TWO to do....one to be fuinished as 824 "Highflyer" in tatty BR blue towards the end of it's days, the other as D817 "Foxhound" in maroon, but also faded. I have the plates for 824 from Severn Mill, he doesn't list 817.

Nice photo....as a young teen, I took one of the railway magazines, Trains Illustrated, or some such. I remember being infinitely saddened by a picture titled, "'Spearmint' at Darlington, January 1966........."

It showed the cab, and a pile of boiler tubes, on the scrapline close to where Tornado was built.

Christian: did you ever complete your Warship you were doing over on "Building "O" gauge online"?

I'd be interested in the end of that one too, having now TWO to do....one to be fuinished as 824 "Highflyer" in tatty BR blue towards the end of it's days, the other as D817 "Foxhound" in maroon, but also faded. I have the plates for 824 from Severn Mill, he doesn't list 817.

The Warship is complete except for the bogies. After getting up close and personal with the real thing, I now feel I need to do significant detail work to the bogies. Its on the "One Day" List

Archived