I've been mucking around with couplers today and have made the decision to convert to Kadee's.  I find nem pockets seem to droop on some wagons so I plan on screwing them onto the chassis for good firm mounting.  I have picked up some rare earth magnets that will fit nicely under the track where the solenoid motors used to sit when I used the powered Hornby ramps so now I just have to get started on converting the rolling stock.

Ian

Well, the magnets are fitted and I've converted 7 wagons to Kadee's so far.  Everything is working well but I've still got around 10 wagons left to do so it looks like that will keep me going for a few more nights,

Ian

You won't regret using the magnets and Kadees. :imsohappy: I can understand why you choose to screw the couplers to the underside of the wagons, a good choice. You'll possibly find that Dapol wagons etc are the worst offenders for coupler droop. Don't forget that you can bend the glad arm up a little to clear track etc. I have had to do this with some of my rollingstock.

Cheers, Gary.

ps. exhibition this weekend... I'm hoping all goes good.

Cheers, Gary.

ps. exhibition this weekend... I'm hoping all goes good.

Ian has just been down to my place to get some more Kadee's from my stash.

Hi Gary will see you at the show tomorrow

Ian say Hi as well, he will also be at the show Tomorrow.

Link to Exhibition details for anyone in NSW Australia.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99775-epping-model-railway-club-exhibition-2015/

Hi Gary,

It was great to be able to meet you at the show.  Your layout looks great in the flesh.  I'd like to be able to exhibit my inglenook sometime - Chris and I keep talking about getting a few micro/small layouts together at show one day.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Time for an update on this layout.  I have converted all the rolling stock to Kadee couplings and used the surface mount delayed magnets.  I was searching for a way to disguise them and came up with the idea of an access road over 2 of them and I'm working on a small weigh bridge to hide the 3rd one.  I have attached pics of the access road on this post and I hope to be able to share the weighbridge soon.

Ian

post-15735-0-81339500-1440325846_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-25466100-1440325861_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-25029100-1440325881_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-35252000-1440326061_thumb.jpg

Nice work Ian

Hidden uncoupling magnets just adds to the illusion that it all happens by magic.

You have hidden them very well and until you see a wagon uncoupled you wouldn't know they were there.

Also gives another nice scenic addition to the layout.

Hi Gary,

Yes they are mostly No.5s - I have also used a couple of nem fittings where No.5s were just too hard to fit.

I'm very happy with the crossing - still working on the weigh bridge for the other magnet and then I need to get cracking with the allotments over near the road bridge on the left.

Thanks for your comment.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Progress has been a bit slow of late but I have almost finished the weighbridge to disguise the last kadee magnet and planting has started on the allotment.

I can't for the life of my workout how to get images with captions in the body of a post, so I'm not sure what order they will appear in below, but one shows the weighbridge, another the 3 disguised magnets, one the allotment ready for planting and one the first noch plants to go in.

I hope to have some more pics in a few days.

Ian

post-15735-0-27698200-1441978050_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-70988100-1441978066_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-43927200-1441978086_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-74599900-1441978097_thumb.jpg

Nice work Ian.

The Magnetic Weight Bridge is a top idea and the Allotment at the front edge is really making the most of the small space you have.

Much better seeing it in full size photos looking at it on the phone didnt do it justice.

Keep up the nice work.

I can't for the life of my workout how to get images with captions in the body of a post, so I'm not sure what order they will appear in below, but one shows the weighbridge, another the 3 disguised magnets, one the allotment ready for planting and one the first noch plants to go in.

Ian, when you have "attached" an image (i.e. uploaded), then you can choose "Add to Post". Now you put the cursor at the place in your text where you want the picture – THEN click Add to post

You may check the positioning by "Preview Post" (the blue button down).

HTH

Armin

Hi again everyone.

I've just had 2 days off and have now finished planting in the allotment.  I'm really happy with the end result but my back is aching from sitting hunched over trying to get everything where I wanted it.  The next job is to weather the rail on the passenger line and place some clutter in the grassy area next to the road bridge.  After that I plan to make an interior for the warehouse, find some garden clutter for the allotment and then I think I will call the layout done (as done as any layout ever is).

Ian

post-15735-0-47295200-1442479742_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-05497100-1442479760_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-10523700-1442479778_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-07950700-1442479792_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-72665500-1442479817_thumb.jpg

That's looking great Ian - nice to see all the updates since last I looked.

Despite Gary's many encouraging words, I'm still putting off switching stock over to Kadees, but will add magnets to my Inglenook layout as I build it anyway. I'll probably experiment with the Kirby method  first of modifying the Bachmann couplers to work with magnets, as you earlier mentioned, with the option of switching to Kadees later. What size magnets have you used - did you use the same small cube type Gary mentioned in his earlier post?

The pictures of the allotments with the 08 in the background are great - you just need a driver hanging out the cab, sharing a quick chat with a gardener!

Also good to hear the result of those MyLocoSound modules. I too plan to bring sound to the layout, although probably the conventional DCC sound way, but am thinking about additional 'background sound' that I could add; in my case low profile seaside & dock sounds, to add some atmosphere. It's fantastic that despite the small size of these 'micro' shunting layouts, the possibilities are endless!

Alan

I really enjoy doing Micros - I already have an idea fermenting in the back of my mind for another one.

Ian

Hi Ian

I think we need to call you, "The micro master" you have the knack of making micros layouts that are visually not the typical micro with a jumble of themes. But believable scenic's that make the layouts look bigger than the footprint of the build.

Your micros over the years, have all had themes that suit the size of the micros. With believable opperation as part of the build.

So if something new is on the boil I will be very interested to see what appears.

Btw the allotment looks great nice touch with the container as a shed

You could really heavly weather the container and paint out some of the lettering on it, to make it look like a very secondhand railway hand me-down.

Archived