Amazing picture of Pre 1870s coaches

I cant claim the credit for this as I've borrowed it of the Caledonian association forum but its so good and clear its unbelievable. If you go to this link below and then use the zoom tool you can zoom in on the coaches to such an extent that you can even count the ventilation holes in the oil lamp holders on the coach roof. The location is the approach to Perth cir the 1870s and the wealth of detail is quite astonishing. Steve

http://digitool.abdn.ac.uk/ImageServer/dtlimagenav.jsp?filename=L2V4bGlicmlzMS9zdG9yYWdlMi8yMDEwLzA0LzMwL2ZpbGVfMi85MTAyMA==

Its been identified on the Caledonian forum as a horse box, The Caley forum is a read only site unless your a member of the society but here's a link to the thread and the third post has a picture of a similar vehicle. Steve

http://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=581

Just to clarify, the picture with only a few wagons in the foreground and titled - Perth Bridge early per RMWeb reduced.jpg  -  I have the original 1870's photograph, but as I'm not on that restricted Forum, cannot advise them accordingly.

The coaches look terrific, better than the LSWR Joseph Wright coaches in my period photo that's the frontispiece to LSWR Coaches, Part 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Query...
On 3 (at least) of the coaches, they still retain the roof luggage 'fencing',

but also within that 'fencing' are some roof Oil Lamp pots, covers.

Presumably these got warm > hot, thus detrimental to any luggage around them.
Where am I coming from?
I'm detailing the L&M coach that came with the 'Great British Loco....' Rocket.

It occurred to me that I hadn't seen a photograph of a coach with luggage on the roof, 

yes, there are pre-photography drawings etc., but not photo's to my knowledge, and if

by the 1860's this practise had died out (putting luggage on the roof), why still install them.
I'm not doing a very early coach, but one that's dropped into 'Departmental Use',

but lying in bed with a very bad cold, one's mind drifts off to Anorak fields......

• RMweb Premium

I notice that the third coach, second row also has some fancy scroll-work on the corners as well as the rails. The lamp housings are also outside of the luggage area which also has raves to stop the luggage from sliding backwards and forwards. The spacing of the lamps suggests that it is a second or third class coach with a single lamp lighting two or more compartments. This particular coach appears to be of an earlier date than much of the other stock going by the lower roof with a flatter profile.

Hi,

Thank you for the superb photo - they don't make them like that anymore!  The photo is of the Tay at Perth, being the second bridge replacing a wooden one in 1864, the sidings being the Barnhilll Sidings..

Perhaps the 'scroll work is to hold the end of the 'Harrison' emergency cords (that can just be seen), when fixing them together? Or for the staff when joining them together making up a train

The horse box on the other end of the bridge has been drawn by John Boyle and is in the CR wagon book, built by the Metropolitan C & W in the 1870's, on P 194/5

That photo, by George Washington Wilson, must have been taken on a hot dry day - look at the number of open covers for the 'pot' lamps!.

I suspect that the vehicle with the scrolls is in fact a saloon with only one door each side - note the projection above the gutter on the edge of the roof, one each side and opposite each other - those are over the doors to stop cascading rain water off the roof when the door is opened.

The scrolls could also be there as the 'saloon' is possibly a 'First' class vehicle.

Yours Peter.

Archived