What constitutes to a micro layout?

• RMweb Gold

Its splitting hairs, but there are a number of 'double apa' box layouts on here the apa boxes are quite a bit larger than 2 square feet - I think from my own measurements 2 joined together come out at about 4 and a half feet - slightly less if you remove the intermediate end pieces, they are also deeper/taller than exactly a foot. 

I would say such a layout is still a micro despite being a bit above the nominal 4 sq feet?

I've just dreamed up a cunning plan for a modular layout that can be used in 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 10 sq ft configurations, or even as two separate 4 sq ft ones (or one 4sq ft and one 6 sq ft) at the same time! I think I'd better write about it in Layout Topics, rather than here, if it gets built!!!

“What constitutes to a micro layout?”

This issue has been thoroughly treated in a similar thread three years ago in this forum (and earlier and elsewhere etc. …).

There have been called a lot of properties as well as several reasons why one makes such a thing (which is not the same, but often confused).

I could say: the answer is very simple and contained in the word: MICRO is less than SMALL.

This is not a neat definition – and that’s the salient point: we are led astray when we rely solely on its size.

To quote Pacific231G: “Carl's own views changed over the years and while three or four square feet was a sort of rule of thumb (sic!), at least for H0 and 00, it was always more about the spirit of the thing than any strict definition.”

Spirit of the thing – you may call it "character" too.

So I think, we should not over analyze what a “micro” is. Just make them, enjoy and have fun – and call them what you want (e.g. small, mini, minimum space, compact  or dwarf  layout).

Life is too short to waste our time with definitions.

Regards

Armin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

“What constitutes to a micro layout?”

This issue has been thoroughly treated in a similar thread three years ago in this forum (and earlier and elsewhere etc. …).

As the guilty one who started it, here's the link from three years ago:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52681-what-is-a-micro-layout/

Three years on, I think of a micro as theatrical stage with lots of visual and operating interest, usually in a medium to large scale, where trains enter and leave the stage but you don't see one travel for much distance. I like N gauge models just as much, but the larger sizes make it easier to mask off the wings of the stage, and the models stand closer viewing. The dimensions of the modelled area are a bit academic, but four square feet is enough to build a satisfying micro in most scales.

- Richard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just thinking about my 'little' layouts and would I coundier them 'micro'

Apa Park - Yes - single Ikea box

14514119519_142fd9b50c_c.jpg

Apa Park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Apagele - Maybe - double Ikea box15802463671_0d8906b5fe_c.jpg
Apagele Finished by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Airedale - Yes - 3ft square lid from a wooden crate

15467499581_32c207e7d7_c.jpg
Test track by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Alpha Street goods - Yes - 2ft 6 by 3ft lid from a wooden crate

16067490613_79a32e758d_c.jpg
Alpha Street Goods. by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Essence of New Street - Maybe - Modular using 3ft boxes

15950099124_b35a762800_c.jpg
Ballasting and track weathering by Steve Purves, on Flickr

I think the 'micro' definition is a state of mind rather than a physical state. I design all of my layouts using the same 'micro' mentality and generally have the same reaction regardless of actual size...

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I would say put like that Steve the single apa is definitely a micro.. in that it is min space and maximum operation and cleverly planned to be so. It would also translate into 4mm

The other layouts are very nice but if built in 4mm they would be quite big ? You could say thats the benefits of N gauge, you also have a way of making N gauge looking much better than many ( particularly the double APA ) looks like a larger scale layout than it actually is?

I hate the way labels have to be applied and things put in boxes - apart from the actual layouts of course ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at starting a thread on my new layout under construction. It measures 5' x 1' with a 2' x 1' fiddle yard, which happens to be an add on, but off scene. Would this layout with its dimensions fall into the categories of 'Boxfiles, Micro Layouts & Dioramas ??

Cheers, Gary.

I'm looking at starting a thread on my new layout under construction. It measures 5' x 1' with a 2' x 1' fiddle yard, which happens to be an add on, but off scene. Would this layout with its dimensions fall into the categories of 'Boxfiles, Micro Layouts & Dioramas ??

Cheers, Gary.

I'd say so Gary, yes. Could just play it safe and put it in Layout Topics. Entirely your choice. Good luck with the build.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, Gary.

You could have a look at www.carendt.com, If you know your layout would be at home there, I'm sure it will be welcome here. Micro layouts are a kind of layout rather than a particular size of layout.

- Richard.

• 5 years later...

What constitutes to a micro layout?

As I recall that Carl's site featured a G-scale muddle by Bob Hughes which fits within the 4' x 1' constraints and featured just a loco and hopper wagon as the operating element shutting from a quarry to a crushing/screening plant.

https://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-41-september-2005/

The other was double deck compact layout featuring a time saver on the upper deck and a dock side interchange on the lower using LGB R1 pointwork, yes the track and points that garden railwayfarers laugh at, on baseboards fitting in the space of 8' x 3'

Hedgehog Hill Estates Railway (7/8″ scale) https://www.carendt.com/micro-layout-design-gallery/micro-tymesaver-designs/

• RMweb Premium

I reckon the maximum size for a micro layout  is 8 inches by 12 inches... 

In T gauge. 

Edited by TheQ