Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Premium

Here are three pics of mine, edited of course, showing original MNs 21C9 and 35021.

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/pcb.431192190379785/431191700379834/?type=1&theater 

Cheers,

Rob

This is what the first looked like when new:

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/rv_21c1.jpg

Keith

I think an interesting point has yet to be made here.

Bear with me here, but it is a fact that the average modeller will see a bullied from either company as identical models.

So..........

If they both had the same RRP ( and no I don't know), based on Hornby's frugal discount available to stockists, and Bachmanns full fat stockist markup minus a maximum of 15% discount for 8 weeks......... Will stockists actually stock the Hornby model in enough numbers to break even?

Just a thought for conversation.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

And referring back to Peter Bedding, the number to beat seems to be 50, not including my 2 pull-push sets. Sad, really....

Shucks! I've only got 36 (All Olive)

Keith

Bear with me here, but it is a fact that the average modeller will see a bullied from either company as identical models.

So..........

If they both had the same RRP ( and no I don't know), based on Hornby's frugal discount available to stockists, and Bachmanns full fat stockist markup minus a maximum of 15% discount for 8 weeks......... Will stockists actually stock the Hornby model in enough numbers to break even?

Cheers

Dave

Ah but you are forgetting the direct sale via their website Black Friday 50% deal everyone will be waiting for. Also given the debacle with Exeter, how many MNs will Hornby produce to ensure profit but no wastage especially if there is a duplicate Bachmann model.

So..........

Cheers

Dave

Simple answer. Yes. Because Hornby's brand is much stronger. (for the hifi modeler I suspect it will be more important which livery/version is produced. With so many combinations, there will only be partial overlap? 

• Like 1

Ah but you are forgetting the direct sale via their website Black Friday 50% deal everyone will be waiting for. Also given the debacle with Exeter, how many MNs will Hornby produce to ensure profit but no wastage especially if there is a duplicate Bachmann model.

Hornby's CAD clearly depicts an Early 1st series As built MN . Whereas Bachmann, if they do end up making an As built MN at all, are more likely to produce the 3rd series as they already have the CAD for this version from their N gauge model.

Therefore, in theory, there will be no duplication.

Original 1st series: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/21C1_35001_Channel_Packet.jpg

3rd series: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/rv_35027.jpg

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

• RMweb Premium

If Bachmann and Horndy do duplicate then we can all (or rather all of us wanting these) make a decision which is better, which offers the best value or which colour box we prefer. Happy days.

If Bachmann and Hornby both do an air smoothed MN but avoid duplication by going for particular series (at least for now) then they will both get sales, we get more versions of the prototype, happy days again.

I'll admit that from a very selfish perspective this is the best model news I've had for a long time in terms of a new release announcement. An air smoothed MN has been pretty much top of my wish list for a long time and if both Bachmann and Hornby do it well then I can see myself buying examples of each.

My most wanted is 21C6/35006 Peninsular & Oriental S N Co. Then it'll be 21C4, 21C5 and 21C2.

A couple of years ago I'd have thought Bachmann more likely to produce the better model based on the standard of releases. However Hornby appear to have their supply chain working again, they've pretty much abandoned design clever and their models are almost back to where they were before Sanda Kan went belly up. Given that it is now possible that Hornby will be the one to go for although my feeling is there will probably be little in it. Certainly the days when people would have almost automatically waited to see the alternatives on the basis that the Hornby model would be delayed forever and then appear as a design clever compromise have gone, Hornby are right back in the market.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite the fun and speculation, even from perhaps an educated guess perspective bearing in the mind Farish 3rd Series release, I am not convinced a Merchant Navy will be announced by Bachmann tomorrow but check my blog at Http://www.grahammuz.com after1pm for details of any Southern related news.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Me too. 35006 does seem to be one of the most popular, but why? In my case it's due the the ships not the loco.

In my case it is a simple personal link, I did my merchant navy cadetship with P&O Containers and still have a soft spot for P&O. By P&O I mean the real P&O, now it is only a brand as the cruise ships are owned by Carnival and the ferries are owned by Dubai World. The container ships have long been part of Maersk, they merged with Royal Nedlloyd to become P&O Nedlloyd before they were bought by Maersk. The other bits like tankers and bulkers are all long gone too. Very sad, when I was with them it was still P&O.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Me too. 35006 does seem to be one of the most popular, but why? In my case it's due the the ships not the loco.

As a shareholder in No. 6 I had to have a model of her in original form...

post-243-0-61198300-1425229401.jpg

• Like 16

I noticed that the picture in post 269 shows a Merchant Navy Pacific hauling a Bulleid coach in Southern Railway malachite green livery with shallow ventilators. In the pictures I have of airsmoothed Merchant Navies the coaches seem to be either Pullmans or Bulleid coaches in either malachite green or crimson and cream with shallow ventilators. Many pre-nationalisation Bulleid coaches remained in malachite green until well after nationalisation as the carriage works preferred to varnish Southern coaches rather than repaint them. I have also got a picture of an airsmoothed Merchant Navy pulling a goods train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

See here http://grahammuz.com/2014/01/10/talking-stock-27-4mm-bulleid-coaches-new-r-t-r-on-the-way/ for more information on my model of 1946 built Bulleid set 771 and other SR built Bulleid coaches that run on Fisherton Sarum.

post-243-0-90119800-1425230731_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

For me this is great news and I for one am really looking forward to it arriving. I can just about remember them when I spotted at Yeovil Junction as a kid. Tomorrow's announcements will be interesting but even if Bachmann do not announce their version tomorrow it gives them the opportunity to upgrade and extend their range of Bulleid coaches and then sell them by the bucket load ( provided of course that they can get the colour right next time).

Godfrey

• Like 2

And lovely it is too. I need to source a kit for one of those as that will surely mean a RTR one will miraculously appear out of nowhere...

Blacksmith Models do/used to do an etched brass kit in 4mm scale and I think there may be a resin one from Ajay Models, again in 4mm. The early 4Sub with the narrow cab was done by NoNonesense Kits and is now in the Precison Paints stable, along with Sharman Wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Cracking point!

However, Bachmann might also win in this case by having product, and having product on the shelves of stockists for people to buy!

Hornby and Bachmann have been poaching one another's products for years, but in terms of high spec models they have really only gone head to head twice: on the 08, and on the Standard 4MT 4-6-0. The two 08s seem to have done similarly well, whereas the Hornby 4MT appears to have vanished without trace leaving the field clear for the Bachmann version. I'd be interested to learn how sales of the two models have compared.

And lovely it is too. I need to source a kit for one of those as that will surely mean a RTR one will miraculously appear out of nowhere...

As far as I can remember, Blacksmith Models, when based in Farnborough, Hants,  produced such a kit. As did No Nonsense Kits (NNK) when they took over, and improved some of Colin Massingham's range (MTK)

As it stands, at the moment, both have disappeared below the horizon.

Let's hope a model of these iconic units, either in kit form, or r-t-r, will re-emerge, sometime soon.

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

In my case, it's because it was the only one I definitely remember seeing in air-smoothed form.

It was also the penultimate member of the class to be rebuilt making it a popular choice for those who want to run a late-50s mix. 

John

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure what coaches you are referring to here as Bulleid, or Maunsell for that matter, produced non gangwayed loco hauled coaching stock.

Who said anything about loco-hauled?

• RMweb Gold

Who said anything about loco-hauled?

The conversation in which you were joining was already in reference to coaching stock suitable for either the Merchant Navy, being the main topic of this thread, or the Class 71, hence me making the clarification. This is a thread about a locomotive rather than EMUs after all...

On Monday we'll all know what Bachmann's plans are,all the chatter on this topic makes me wonder if there has 

been a leak from the Bachmann camp. If there has been i would be very surprised, As I have recently worked with

them on a project i find it difficult to believe that Bachmann would be careless enough to let their future plans leak to 

a competitor..

But of course if Bachmann are going to produce an original MN it would not be the first time that duplication had 

taken place.