Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Calidore said:

Every time this thread comes up I feel a sceptical glimmer of hope, which is always promptly extinguished... :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

I’d like to state for the record my prediction that 35024 will arrive within a fortnight of the Rails D Class, to wreak maximum wallet damage!

Speaking as a dyed-in-the-wool Southern fan, my r-t-r spending has been at a near standstill for some time whilst other railways/regions have been taking centre stage. S/h purchases have been accounting for more than new for a good couple of years and that looks set to continue for at least one more.

I should therefore have enough put by to afford all the MNs and Ds one could shake a stick at - trouble is the D's were all gone by my modelling period (though modellers licence will be invoked to justify one example, just as it was for my Beachy Head). On top of that, Hornby haven't yet produced or announced a MN in a suitable condition to run alongside my Rebuilds in a 1958-59 (-ish) scenario.

I have the cash waiting for 35001, 35006, 35011 and 35021 as running immediately prior to rebuilding when they do get round to any or all of them. But don't leave it too long, guys, I have a recently rekindled photography habit that could easily soak up much of it.... :wub:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
too
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, paftrain said:

How would I do that? Over two years delay isn’t pointless.

You could ask rather that make an assumption and a couple of wild claims. As you can see, Graham has been kind and quick to post about it.

I called your post pointless because you just made two assumptions without any real evidence to back it up. Hornby is trying to deal with a factory closure and that takes time. A sudden factory closure can be a real headache. You firstly loose a production slot that can takes weeks or months to book, you have to then look for a new factory, you have transfer the tooling to the new factory, sometimes the tooling needs to be modified to be used with the machines in the new factory, new factory means new staff and therefore staff have to be trained to assemble the new model, test moulds have to be made, test samples have to be built, QC team has to check it, Hornby has to check it, a production slot has to be booked and then production can begin. This doesn't take days or weeks, it takes months and years. Factories in China don't make models exclusively for one manufacturer (unless they own the factory). They have multiple clients and you need to wait your turn.

At the end of the day, it's a model train. It's part of a hobby, a hobby that doesn't really run according to a time-table.

16 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

You could ask rather that make an assumption and a couple of wild claims. As you can see, Graham has been kind and quick to post about it.

I called your post pointless because you just made two assumptions without any real evidence to back it up. Hornby is trying to deal with a factory closure and that takes time. A sudden factory closure can be a real headache. You firstly loose a production slot that can takes weeks or months to book, you have to then look for a new factory, you have transfer the tooling to the new factory, sometimes the tooling needs to be modified to be used with the machines in the new factory, new factory means new staff and therefore staff have to be trained to assemble the new model, test moulds have to be made, test samples have to be built, QC team has to check it, Hornby has to check it, a production slot has to be booked and then production can begin. This doesn't take days or weeks, it takes months and years. Factories in China don't make models exclusively for one manufacturer (unless they own the factory). They have multiple clients and you need to wait your turn.

At the end of the day, it's a model train. It's part of a hobby, a hobby that doesn't really run according to a time-table.

Please don’t treat me like an idiot. That was all very unnecessary. From your picture I thought you would be a nice person, or perhaps that’s not really you.

• Funny 1

And we're back to making pointless statements...

I have not said anything that has hinted at you being an idiot. FYI your initial speculation was unnecessary, as I have already stated, you could've politely asked, instead you decided to come up with two accusations based on nothing. Graham gave you the answer and I followed up with a simple post explaining the effects of such a situation.

PS: Thanks for your detailed study on my profile picture. Didn't know you could form opinions based on a tiny 34.92kb image. I'm so glad my real friends know me for who I am.

Ciao...!

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 23/06/2020 at 09:44, Dunsignalling said:

Speaking as a dyed-in-the-wool Southern fan, my r-t-r spending has been at a near standstill for some time whilst other railways/regions have been taking centre stage. S/h purchases have been accounting for more than new for a good couple of years and that looks set to continue for at least one more.

I thought it was just me! 

Although, the wait will be worth it - I think, Malachite LN, and the SECR D soon(ish). There's also the Model Rail E1 somewhere out there.

Fingers crossed that a post-war, pre-nationalisation MN appears soon too. Although given the delays MGR describes, it may be some time. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 22:44, Dunsignalling said:

I should therefore have enough put by to afford all the MNs and Ds one could shake a stick at - trouble is the D's were all gone by my modelling period (though modellers licence will be invoked to justify one example, just as it was for my Beachy Head). On top of that, Hornby haven't yet produced or announced a MN in a suitable condition to run alongside my Rebuilds in a 1958-59 (-ish) scenario.

I have the cash waiting for 35001, 35006, 35011 and 35021 as running immediately prior to rebuilding when they do get round to any or all of them. But don't leave it too long, guys, I have a recently rekindled photography habit that could easily soak up much of it.... :wub:

John

You should try modelling the Caledonian , could save a fortune!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

And we're back to making pointless statements...

I have not said anything that has hinted at you being an idiot. FYI your initial speculation was unnecessary, as I have already stated, you could've politely asked, instead you decided to come up with two accusations based on nothing. Graham gave you the answer and I followed up with a simple post explaining the effects of such a situation.

PS: Thanks for your detailed study on my profile picture. Didn't know you could form opinions based on a tiny 34.92kb image. I'm so glad my real friends know me for who I am.

Ciao...!

Let’s get back to just enjoying our hobby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Legend said:

You should try modelling the Caledonian , could save a fortune!

TBH, the relative lack of Southern r-t-r over the past year or two has at least enabled me to go for all the cute little industrials I fancied without having to defer something else to finance them.

I was a bit taken aback, though, to realise that, for a while, I spent more on locos emanating from Camborne than Margate. A recent purchase from the former of a product from the latter, albeit one that's been around for some time, levelled the playing field.

It still feels slightly wrong owning more Adams Radials than BR had, though:jester:...

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBH, the relative lack of Southern r-t-r over the past year or two has at least enabled me to go for all the cute little industrials I fancied without having to defer something else to finance them.

I was a bit taken aback, though, to realise that, for a while, I spent more on locos emanating from Camborne than Margate. A recent purchase from the former of a product from the latter, albeit one that's been around for some time, levelled the playing field.

It still feels slightly wrong owning more Adams Radials than BR had, though:jester:...

John

If searching for more bijou pleasures in rtr form in a Southern guise,I recommend ( if you haven’t already done so ) the Dapol B4.....a gem in miniature IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

If searching for more bijou pleasures in rtr form in a Southern guise,I recommend ( if you haven’t already done so ) the Dapol B4.....a gem in miniature IMHO.

Agreed, and such terrific little runners. An object lesson in small loco chassis design.

I have two, so far...….

My "excuse" for the fourth Radial is that I wanted 30583 in the condition it ran before getting all the old bits transferred to it (which must surely have required a specific decision) ahead of it entering preservation.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Guernsey has taken my tally of B4s to five. They tell the story of Southampton Docks up until the arrival of the USA Tanks: another little gem. In truth, Guernsey was added because I liked the livery and, as already said, the B4s are superb runners. I need no more excuse. ;)

The story concludes with the 07s. Heljan has come in for a lot of bashing lately but, in all fairness, the 07s are beautifully turned out.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry for raising any hopes by posting here.... I've been reviewing my pre-orders and there could be something of a piggy bank cataclysm around Spring 2021 if i'm not careful. So, is there any inkling yet as to whether the new batch of MNs are going to add to the strain, or do we maybe have 6 months more to wait?

• 2 months later...
On 18/01/2021 at 12:56, Calidore said:

According to Hornby's 'coming soon' page, 35024 is now on the boat. Blue Merchant finally incoming...

That along with the new A2(2) Cock of the North have featured on the Hornby website "Coming Soon" section since mid December. 

Still within Hornby's predicted availability period of Winter 2020-2021 though.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo

• RMweb Premium
On 18/01/2021 at 12:56, Calidore said:

According to Hornby's 'coming soon' page, 35024 is now on the boat. Blue Merchant finally incoming...

I hope that’s correct. The new Hornby website has the other streamlined Merchant Navies coming in Spring 2021, but blue 35024 is now shown as Winter 2021.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I hope that’s correct. The new Hornby website has the other streamlined Merchant Navies coming in Spring 2021, but blue 35024 is now shown as Winter 2021.

The Blue M/N East Asiatic Line was last month shown on the Hornby website as Winter 2020/21 so this is quite possibly a clerical error on Hornby's part. Fingers crossed, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, does anyone know in which year 35011/17/22/29 had there safety valve and cab modifications made prior to being rebuilt. Thanks Fred

The Irwell Book of the Merchant Navy will have this information but only in the form of works visits, and intelligent guesswork, reliably-dated photos always help too.

• Friendly/supportive 1