Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Irwell says 35011 had safety valve modifications between 5/1/54 and 23/1/54. No mention of cab modifications.

There is a gap in 35011's works record in my Second edition copy of the Irwell book, from 11/51 to 04/53.

Reference on p.60 in A.J. Fry's "Bulleid Power" states cab was modified in September 1950. Boiler 1104 replaced 1111 at the same time.

On further reading it is mentioned in Derry within a HC overhaul, but a boiler record from 1955 seems to have been transposed into the middle of the entry.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

35017 had the cab modified in 1948, with 35022 and 35029 having the revised pattern from new.

SV positions need careful reading as there was a fair bit of boiler swapping so there's a danger that a loco could have reverted to the earlier arrangement.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Irwell says 35011 had safety valve modifications between 5/1/54 and 23/1/54. No mention of cab modifications.

35011 got the new cab in 9/21950 as in subsequent replies.  35017 had new cab in 1948 (from Dunsignalling's reply) and safety valves as noted varied with boiler swaps and I generally think of 1955-56 as the main timeframe for moving front forward to rearward positions,together with drop in boiler pressure from 280lb to 250lb (but not necessarily at the same time?) It's usually noted in the works visit descriptions in Irwell.

• 3 weeks later...

And another point for anyone waiting / with preorders -- 35029 Ellerman Lines is listed on the retailers' websites with artwork showing the long tender, but on Hornby's site this has now changed to the 6'6"+6'6" variety so there appears to have been a change of mind there. I've not looked into the dates / whys and wherefores but presumably H have decided this gives better chronological range or something.

Adam

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Calidore said:

And another point for anyone waiting / with preorders -- 35029 Ellerman Lines is listed on the retailers' websites with artwork showing the long tender, but on Hornby's site this has now changed to the 6'6"+6'6" variety so there appears to have been a change of mind there. I've not looked into the dates / whys and wherefores but presumably H have decided this gives better chronological range or something.

Adam

35029 got the short tender (no.3129, ex-35018) in July 1952, which it retained on rebuilding and kept right through to 1965. The loco was repainted into BR green at the same time, so the long tender and the livery would not go together.

Her original tender (3347) went to 35020 Bibby Line, then in 1956 to 35022 Holland America Line. 

John

EDIT: Hornby must have cottoned on to this some time ago as the illustration in the 2020 catalogue correctly shows the 5100g tender.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Next Hornby MN announcement I'm hoping for would be 35021 New Zealand Line, which had its 6000g. tender cut down in 1952, concurrently with Light Pacifics 34011, 34043 and 34065.

35021 entered works for this to be done on the day I was born.....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Hornby website now shows R3861 Belgian Marine with short tender as coming soon for Spring 2021. This was originally listed for Autumn.

Strangely enough, no mention of R3632 East Asiatic Line in BR early blue livery in this update, which was supposedly due around now.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Be worth it "hopefully" when it arrives.

Let's hope the second batch of M/Ns have not been produced at the same factory as the recently released A2/2s....

I’m hopeful that there isn’t much that can go wrong with the MN, given the casing style. No exposed running plates or the like. Colour should be the only potentially dangerous territory and I shall keep faith until I have reason to do otherwise...!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Fireline said:

The next two weeks are looking distinctly blue....

But not black:jester:. I suppose you could say that there’s not too much Hornby could do to screw up on those two liveries but that would be tempting providence. I see the invasion of the body swappers is upon us over on the A2/2 thread.A trend started a couple of years ago with Bulleid rebuild tender 34050. Unwanted bodies for sale on eBay ? 

• Like 2

I’m not happy - just had an email from hattons to say my order for 35024 blue Merchant has been cancelled. What is it with Hornby? I ordered with Rails when it was announced years ago, that got cancelled because Rails had a bust up with Hornby, so I re-ordered with Hattons, now that’s gone as well. What is going on?

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, paftrain said:

I’m not happy - just had an email from hattons to say my order for 35024 blue Merchant has been cancelled. What is it with Hornby? I ordered with Rails when it was announced years ago, that got cancelled because Rails had a bust up with Hornby, so I re-ordered with Hattons, now that’s gone as well. What is going on?

My inference is that Hatton's have been chancing their arm by taking preorders on an assumption that Hornby will supply all they want.

OTOH, perhaps Hornby would just prefer you to buy direct from them....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, paftrain said:

Try Dan at Derails of Coleford. I have one on pre-order with him and I'm pretty sure he has some left.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Try Dan at Derails of Coleford. I have one on pre-order with him and I'm pretty sure he has some left.

I've just checked and M/N EAC is still available to pre-order at £161.99 with free postage.

Customer service is second to none from a very satisfied customer.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, paftrain said:

We had this discussion on another thread. It seems that, whenever pre-orders are cancelled, it's the same two retailers that are mentioned.  I don't think that can be coincidence....

• Agree 2

I pre-ordered my R3632 35024 East Asiatic Company from Rails on 13 April 2018. After Rails fell out with Hornby I pre-ordered the airsmoothed Bulleid Pacific from the Swanage Railway shop where I will get a 10% discount as a premier life member. The model cannot be damaged in the post and it will be easy to take back if it does not work. I returned my last airsmoothed Merchant Navy to Hornby and the firm replaced the motor.  The Swanage Station shop stopped stocking Hornby after the shop had problems with supply so it looks like Hornby are partly to blame for the cancelled orders.  The Swanage Station shop started stocking Hornby again after the supplies improved

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1