Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I've just checked and M/N EAC is still available to pre-order at £161.99 with free postage.

Customer service is second to none from a very satisfied customer.

Thanks for that, I have just pre-ordered from them too. Let’s hope they don’t get their allocation cut.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rxj27 said:

I too have had my order cancelled by Hattons. I pre ordered it with them after having it cancelled by Rails. After they cancelled all but one item from the 2021 range I pre ordered with them and now this, I will never be using Hattons again either that's for sure.

I don’t pre-order anymore, but I have noticed recently that Hattons have shown some Hornby models as sold out to pre-orders but then a while after its released, Hatton’s have had the model available for sale. That does suggest Hornby is unable to confirm the number of models it can supply until they have them in stock. What is behind that who knows, but whilst Hattons could be taking too many pre-orders it could also be Hornby confirming numbers only after pre-orders have gone in, or something on those lines. Whatever the reason, I doubt Hattons is happy with the situation.

• Agree 2

They were sort of mentioned in the Engine Shed blog (unexpectedly, 35017 Belgian Marine).

It looks like these models are a bit like buses... you wait for years, and then 4 pre-orders seem to be going to come along at once!

March could be an unexpectedly expensive month :help:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mattkimster said:

They were sort of mentioned in the Engine Shed blog (unexpectedly, 35017 Belgian Marine).

It looks like these models are a bit like buses... you wait for years, and then 4 pre-orders seem to be going to come along at once!

March could be an unexpectedly expensive month :help:

Not to mention the two Hornby Dublo M/N's, General Steam Navigation and Elder Fyffes Line.

A very expensive year indeed!

Edited by Black 5 Bear

While we wait, this wonderful clip of Clapham in the 50s features footage of two original condition Merchants. One is on the Bournemouth Belle, and the other on the west country milk train, which would presumably have the Merchant as far as Exeter. The milk train clip in particular is fantastic.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Not to mention the two Hornby Dublo M/N's, General Steam Navigation and Elder Fyffes Line.

A very expensive year indeed!

Only if you want all of them.

Two thirds of the class were rebuilt before my modelling era, so I'm only buying 35029 from the current programme!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2021 at 10:17, Black 5 Bear said:

I've just checked and M/N EAC is still available to pre-order at £161.99 with free postage.

Customer service is second to none from a very satisfied customer.

This is listed on H website as Winter 2021 .So is it due at the end of this year or this Winter ? Does anyone actually know what’s in a container when it arrives or is it the key to box 13 ?:jester:

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

This is listed on H website as Winter 2021 .So is it due at the end of this year or this Winter ? Does anyone actually know what’s in a container when it arrives or is it the key to box 13 ?:jester:

Ian,

Or the new game of Hornby "Lucky Dip" everyone's a winner !

According to various sources on both this thread and some retailers, R3632 East Asiatic Company, although not listed on the "coming soon" section of the Hornby website is due within the next two weeks.

R3861, Belgian Marine is a 2021 release with a release date of August. This is now due this month according to the Engine Shed.

Airsmooth Hornby M/N's are like London buses lol !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was asked to pay for mine (R3632) from TMC last week - due 'very soon' apparently. Though the last time I was asked to pay for a Bachmann pre-order that was 'imminent', it took about 7 or 8 weeks to arrive.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Or maybe  ( considering H’s current bizarre  interpretation of BR locomotive liveries) blue is the new green or vice versa. Seriously if  35024 ‘s arrival is imminent then why doesn’t someone down there have the wit to amend the information on what is hailed as a brand new all singing all dancing website to keep it up to date ? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

I would offer a reply but discussing shortcomings in the website is apparently taboo, unlike sometimes scathing criticism of Hornby's products themselves.

If this is within acceptable forum rules and you feel you have something constructive to communicate why not do so if you are in possession of information which others might find useful. The problem is that H themselves don’t see fit to communicate with us. Make your point if you please “taboos “ not withstanding..As an afterthought,maybe consider that such criticism is justified if you will and evidence your points.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

..... The problem is that H themselves don’t see fit to communicate with us.....

But have you tried contacting them? Previously, Paul would answer the occasional query on here, but now that he has gone, we have to revert to contacting them directly. I dare say if Hornby saw fit to answer everything that is asked on here, they would have no time to do anything else....

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Fireline said:

But have you tried contacting them? Previously, Paul would answer the occasional query on here, but now that he has gone, we have to revert to contacting them directly. I dare say if Hornby saw fit to answer everything that is asked on here, they would have no time to do anything else....

Fine.But that’s not the point I’m making nor I suspect is it the point Going Spare is making either. They have recently launched a brand new website which looks good and could if they so choose use it to communicate. It appears that the information on stock lists is not accurate if one is to read the posts that other members have made regarding the arrival of  35024. Giving real time information would help both Hornby and enthusiasts alike.  

Just received H’s latest email announcing new  and expected arrivals until Jan.2022.Of R3632 there is no trace.Unless I’m missing something.....

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Fine.But that’s not the point I’m making nor I suspect is it the point Going Spare is making either. They have recently launched a brand new website which looks good and could if they so choose use it to communicate. It appears that the information on stock lists is not accurate if one is to read the posts that other members have made regarding the arrival of  35024. Giving real time information would help both Hornby and enthusiasts alike.  

Just received H’s latest email announcing new  and expected arrivals until Jan.2022.Of R3632 there is no trace.Unless I’m missing something.....

This one?

News.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

11 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Which was nowhere to be seen this morning 

R3632 is still shown as a pre-order for Winter 21.

Fireline must have received a customer personal notification of a stock arrival.

Hornby have not as yet updated this on it's website page.

Good news though !

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-merchant-navy-class-4-6-2-35024-east-asiatic-company-era-4-r3632

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 1

The (non-)marketing for this model has been strange indeed. It went from being so far in the future, to being so suddenly imminent, that it skipped out the usual ‘coming soon’ stages of featuring in the Engine Shed, or being promoted with samples on H’s Instagram page or the like. And this for something which would surely still be considered a reasonably ‘headline’-type release.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

R3632 is still shown as a pre-order for Winter 21.

Fireline must have received a customer personal notification of a stock arrival.

Hornby have not as yet updated this on it's website page.

Good news though !

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-merchant-navy-class-4-6-2-35024-east-asiatic-company-era-4-r3632

Thank you for that Mark.I was beginning to think my marbles were in the wrong order.And suddenly for my next trick,like a rabbit out of a hat comes.....etc.etc....  Nothing changes.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/03/2021 at 15:01, Ian Hargrave said:

This is actually listed on the Hornby site as expected "Winter 20/21" - so that is now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

This is actually listed on the Hornby site as expected "Winter 20/21" - so that is now.

If you then click on the link on that webpage it reverts to Winter 21. Bearing in mind we are now in the Spring quarter albeit only just !

I still can't believe that a release as popular as this loco isn't being marketed very well by Hornby.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Thanks 1