Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

So we are told it’s ready for dispatch on this thread yesterday. Bit still no update on the website to that effect ? Again what’s the point of a new and seemingly very good new website if it’s not being updated and possibly giving incorrect information.We do live in an age when communication is king and to be told perhaps  they haven’t the time to use it frankly will not do. H has a very large and mainly adoring customer base and it would be appropriate to keep it in the loop efficiently.It does have a customer care dept.Glossy outpourings are fine and there is no shortage of that. But nitty gritty is better.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

If you then click on the link on that webpage it reverts to Winter 21. Bearing in mind we are now in Spring albeit only just !

I still can't believe that a release as popular as this loco isn't being marketed very well by Hornby.

To be frank, in this case, they probably don't need to. Everybody I know who wants it banged in at least one order (!) as soon as they were announced. 

I therefore doubt there will be many of these that aren't already spoken for, and (IMHO) anybody who hasn't already done so needs to make their minds up PDQ.

Too early for me, though. My 35024 (when I get to it) will be in rebuilt form with the coal-weighing tender (PDK kit), redone from an old NRM edition Ellerman Lines I picked up cheap, minus its whistle.

That's my selected victim because I'll be getting a new "old" 35029 (when it arrives). Until Hornby get round to doing more that lasted into the second half of 1959 before rebuilding, that'll be the sole air-smoothed MN in my fleet. The "Dublo" GSN unfortunately doesn't qualify as that will come in pre-1957 condition with full-height tender.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well I too have just had an email from H announcing a “coming soon” MN. But the colour’s wrong.It’s for 35017.

Is the green a bit blueish, or the blue a bit greenish? Or is that for another topic once they arrive? 

Either way, I should be getting both 35017 and 35024, once they've been to Cornwall and back...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Question. Which or both are coming?  Intriguing. So they apparently don’t know with any certainty what actually is in the container which is what I have thought for some time. Serendipity but never mind as long as they’re here now and not next winter : that they are all in one piece with the only bits in the box being in a small plastic envelope : that the hex nuts on the linkage are secure.: that the green is acceptable and the blue beautiful and that they are as good as the first generation now some three years old.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Actually, Julie.  

Yep - Julie called me too!

I am sad to say I had originally pre-order elsewhere (Lancs) and was let down. So Derails filled the void for me with their great service (and a good natter to Dan too at the time).

No prizes for guessing who is becoming my preferred supplier.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

Power - yes, elegance - no, sorry I love the things but I'd never describe an MN as elegant.

Each to their own though!

Glenn

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Does that apply to the rebuilt version as well I wonder ?

Edited by Black 5 Bear

9 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

Power - yes, elegance - no, sorry I love the things but I'd never describe an MN as elegant.

Each to their own though!

Glenn

While pushing the limits of placing my edited pictures in product threads, I think 'elegant' is fairly close from some angles...   concentrated three-cylinder power, certainly.

35028_MN_Bulleid_portrait101_4abcd_r1800.jpg.c30d8b250513ea893bf43070c6bcf528.jpg

Now, how will this look in blue I wonder?  :)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The sound they made hasn’t left my consciousness.Quietly,purposefully,brutish. Unique and still with me some sixty years plus ago.And yes I do mean Bulleid’s original..

You’re a lucky man, sir!

I do make the effort to go and see the mainline Bulleids when they’re out and about. Braunton sounded good through Clapham Junction a few months ago — was already at 45-50mph having started from Victoria and sounded very fine.

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 2

With R3632 East Asiatic Company on its way (at some point) does anyone know what it can be renumbered as? I know that not all MN got the BR Express blue and that MN's (sorta) came in 3 batches. I also know that there were lots of variation in details.

If H have done 35024 correctly, which I assume they will have done, then I guess I could rename it as any of the batch 35021 - 35030?

All assuming my pre-order get filled via my local dealer...

Luke

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2021 at 23:26, Calidore said:

You’re a lucky man, sir!

I do make the effort to go and see the mainline Bulleids when they’re out and about. Braunton sounded good through Clapham Junction a few months ago — was already at 45-50mph having started from Victoria and sounded very fine.

Weekend closest to July 7th each year usually produces some fantastic LSWR running running with a Bulleid...

2012 35028 had an absolutely stonking run up to London.. stations signs left swinging, staff wondering whats going on...

(not my video, but I was at the top end of this platform).

2017 35028 again, this time it got the Bournemouth Belle set and a Waterloo, not only direct to Woking..but a Down Fast line route to Woking...and it certainly made use of it.

34046 has put in some pretty runs on the LSW usually around July...

The key point here.. weekend closest to July 7th.. always seems to bring out the best.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

wow..just watching it sent shivers down my spine. What a sight and sound, nothing modern even comes close to that!

makes me want to stop working, get in the garage and run my sound fitted MN for a few a while (maybe at lunch time hey).

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

With R3632 East Asiatic Company on its way (at some point) does anyone know what it can be renumbered as? I know that not all MN got the BR Express blue and that MN's (sorta) came in 3 batches. I also know that there were lots of variation in details.

If H have done 35024 correctly, which I assume they will have done, then I guess I could rename it as any of the batch 35021 - 35030?

Luke

35024 was indeed from the 3rd batch of ten so could be renumbered in blue to 35021/2 or 35025 to 35030 as 35023 was one of the three members of the class not to gain blue livery.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Luke

During the blue period the long tenders were confined to the BR-built final ten MNs. Beware of the dreaded shifting safety valves. 35024's entry in Derry suggests that it had them in the original position until rebuilding, which may make it unique.

Of the last ten MNs, all got BR blue except 35023, though most lost it again quite quickly. 35029 carried it for little more than a year and only 35027/8/30 retained blue beyond mid-1952.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3