Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Weekend closest to July 7th each year usually produces some fantastic LSWR running running with a Bulleid...

2012 35028 had an absolutely stonking run up to London.. stations signs left swinging, staff wondering whats going on...

(not my video, but I was at the top end of this platform).

2017 35028 again, this time it got the Bournemouth Belle set and a Waterloo, not only direct to Woking..but a Down Fast line route to Woking...and it certainly made use of it.

34046 has put in some pretty runs on the LSW usually around July...

The key point here.. weekend closest to July 7th.. always seems to bring out the best.

Great stuff. There are a couple of trips I really regret missing in the past few years -- 35028 on her non-Belmond trip to the south west (Exeter I think), and 35018 on her holiday to the south a couple of years ago. Next time that happens I'll definitely be out, if not on board!

There should presumably be news re 35024 today or tomorrow? That's the two week period, as far as I can tell.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Calidore said:

Great stuff. There are a couple of trips I really regret missing in the past few years -- 35028 on her non-Belmond trip to the south west (Exeter I think), and 35018 on her holiday to the south a couple of years ago. Next time that happens I'll definitely be out, if not on board!

There should presumably be news re 35024 today or tomorrow? That's the two week period, as far as I can tell.

live in hope.. 35018..

July 3rd 2021 Bournemouth via Woking

July 9th 2021 Weymouth via Woking, Yeovil (it also advertises steam banking on return, but I wouldn't I wouldn't be betting odds on that myself).

Heres 34046 from the footplate through Wimbledon

(i wish this video was mine)

The footbridge at Wimbledon West (2nd footbridge) is always a bit of a viewing gallery.. drivers tend to give it a bit extra there, as its cleared the station, I guess its childhood memories for them, in turn, makes it a hot spot for us.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

During the blue period the long tenders were confined to the BR-built final ten MNs. Beware of the dreaded shifting safety valves. 35024's entry in Derry suggests that it had them in the original position until rebuilding, which may make it unique.

Of the last ten MNs, all got BR blue except 35023, though most lost it again quite quickly. 35029 carried it for little more than a year and only 35027/8/30 retained blue beyond mid-1952.

John

Just for clarity the nine third series Merchants all retained the safety valves in the original forwards position whilst in blue.  Also they were all paired to the longer 6000 gallon tenders whilst in blue.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

live in hope.. 35018..

July 3rd 2021 Bournemouth via Woking

July 9th 2021 Weymouth via Woking, Yeovil (it also advertises steam banking on return, but I wouldn't I wouldn't be betting odds on that myself).

Heres 34046 from the footplate through Wimbledon

(i wish this video was mine)

Pathed from Waterloo rather than the usual Victoria, no less. Very tempting indeed. (As an aside, I can’t see the steam banking part you mentioned, but RTC did advertise this before — the plan was train engine to Weymouth, Swanage‘s mainline U class 31806 leading the return Weymouth-Soton banked by the train engine, and a reverse to return to London with the original train engine. But I digress.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2021 at 12:30, Calidore said:

Yes the July runs usually get Waterloo and routed via Clapham & Wimbledon...and usually the fast, rather than the slow too.

I understand it goes as far as SWR making exceptions in the timetable for a few services to allow it to happen.

Over the years Ive watched these at Waterloo, Vauxhall, Clapham, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, Berrylands, Woking, Hook, Basingstoke and Southampton. Woking on the return is usually a fantastic departure... without fail.. and often theres an up service a few mins after, which usually overtakes it by Clapham giving you a second shot.

we used to regularly (twice/thrice weekly summer) have the Dorset Coast Express, but it routes via Staines and the slow lines, you can walk to Woking from Clapham and still beat it. Though this has become infrequent since the Tangmere incident, and general reduction in London steam.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, robmcg said:

While i wait patiently for my pre-ordered 35024 has anyone heard anything about R3717 wartime black 21C7 ?

This one... E1D01D34-FEDE-467A-B2CF-832DBC7F7B36.jpeg.3bad7b44503cc14cf78cbd1221b9c5ed.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

This one... E1D01D34-FEDE-467A-B2CF-832DBC7F7B36.jpeg.3bad7b44503cc14cf78cbd1221b9c5ed.jpeg

Is that a Hornby pre-production/assessment version?  I think there were extremely impressive in black.   I shall await Signal Box or some other source of information with interest! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, robmcg said:

Is that a Hornby pre-production/assessment version?  I think there were extremely impressive in black.   I shall await Signal Box or some other source of information with interest! 

Yes it's a livery sample, but by word of caution I did take the picture along with the one below in December 2019!

h2020_21c7_3-1.jpg.ad3b7f3c153bc73184810720a37a5f5e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2021 at 14:54, brushman47544 said:

Now showing In Stock and available to order on the Hornby website.

Those of us with an order with Little Dan Derails will by now have received the courtesy of an update on this. Hornby please note that this is a lesson in how to do customer care.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Those of us with an order with Little Dan Derails will by now have received the courtesy of an update on this. Hornby please note that this is a lesson in how to do customer care.

not sure that's just Hornby either, it's a fair few retailers, some big ones as well from my personal experience.
but i do agree with Dan, i've dealt many times with him and its a great experience (i think i have my blue pullman HST set on order with him).

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Derails seem to be something special, that is how you grow your business. Customers return because they had a good experience. When the boss of Rails was talking to Jenny Kirk, that was how he said he grew his business, started at Railway Fairs and Swapmeets and his loyal customer base grew.

Anybody who's missed out due to certain retailers cancelling their pre-orders, Bure Valley Models have 22 R3632 M/N's in stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As they proceed through the testing area, it's looking good! Lovely looking models, couple of comments for those receiving them:

• Brake rigging is super fragile, watch out when you take the model out of the box.
  • On a very small number of models the chassis keeper plate was very slightly loose, nothing to write home about, just a small screwdriver required to tighten the screws.

We're most of the way through our large batch of these (the delivery has been split, most today and then more coming tomorrow/Monday) and we have had zero mechanical failures so looking like a cracking model all round! Well done Hornby!

If you're after one, why don't you give your local model shop a call? I'm sure theirs have just arrived too! :)

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Derails seem to be something special, that is how you grow your business. Customers return because they had a good experience. When the boss of Rails was talking to Jenny Kirk, that was how he said he grew his business, started at Railway Fairs and Swapmeets and his loyal customer base grew.

I ordered my R3632 East Asiatic Company from Rails on 13 April 2018.  Now they have cancelled my order I am at the back of the queue at my local model railway shop.  Dealing with Rails has not been my best experience so now I am using the Swanage Station shop which is very good under new management and is ten minutes' walk away.

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I ordered my R3632 East Asiatic Company from Rails on 13 April 2018.  Now they have cancelled my order I am at the back of the queue at my local model railway shop.  Dealing with Rails has not been my best experience so now I am using the Swanage Station shop which is very good under new management and is ten minutes' walk away.

If you don't have any luck as many outlets are already sold out, try Bure Valley Models, which is part of the Bure Valley NG railway in Aylsham Norfolk.

My first recommendation to anyone requiring one would have been Derails, however they are sold out.

Bure Valley would be my second choice on recommendation. Additionally, All profits get ploughed back into running the line.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1