Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Certainly originally the tender lamps were steel cases and the General Steam Navigation Locomotive Restoration Society have at least one steel cased lamp in their possession. 

Only guesswork but, given the propensity of steel to go brown and fall to pieces, might the brass lamp housings be later replacements?

John 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Some very nice pics of the model in Kernow's weekly newsletter which has just landed.

The blue livery is way too early for me and I've never thought it looks good on anything other than an A4, or (perhaps perversely) a King.   

However, it's arrival has definitely tweaked my anticipation for my (green) Ellerman Lines, which I'm hoping isn't too far behind it. I'm already plotting a refit for those headlamps and hope they aren't glued on too well.

Even 35029, as one of the last three MNs to remain in air-smoothed condition, should have required gentle application of Rule one, but I've side-stepped that by extending "my" era back a year to accommodate it! I don't have either of the locos that were "seen to" after it in rebuilt form, so my conscience is clear.

I'll have to keep it away from the Hymeks, though; if the Infinite Improbability Drive kicks in, I could end up anywhere (or rather, everywhere).:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

I too am willing to entertain a little era /other detail flexibility--especially for what is a fantastic model.

I am lucky in the sense that my era 1954-58/9 allows me to concurrently run original and rebuilt forms. Hence my interest in 35029,one of the later ones to be rebuilt.

Prior to that I purchased 35028 in original form and changed the i.d. to 35030--rebuilt somewhat earlier but still sitting ok alongside my early rebuilt models of 35018 (no/name change) and 35014.

The four also show detail variety--tender capacity/tender H.S or cut down/rebuilt/original form,safety valve position,black and red backed nameplates.--variety is the spice of ----.

Anticipating the arrival of my purchase --is it worth considering the Hornby sound chip or am I better looking elsewhere--wheel slip being important to me?

Mr Hornby---what a fantastic model--to design and build such a detailed and refined model for what I believe is a reasonable price--keep the good work up.

Ed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Mine has also arrived.

51055274931_594588d4fb_k.jpgIMG_0901 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

51054782568_9a55a6756f_k.jpgIMG_0902 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Just for fun I did a screen shot of your 35024 and ran it through Picasa, with slightly better detail...  hope that's ok.

35024_MN_Image10ab_r1882.jpg.07a4d717f682d7ab1072daadf14efe16.jpg

The blue in the photo is comparable to Kernow's ....   and I am pleased that my version is on its way.

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Hastings Thumper said:

Pleased to receive mine this morning after what seems to have been a while since I ordered it.

A lovely model, flawless blue finish and runs super smoothly.

Mine also has the front lamps pointing upwards, so I expect this is a general assembly error across all of them. I've tweaked the lamp brackets (very carefully) to be more upright which sort of disguises the lamps not being vertical. Not a big deal, and here's hoping Hornby can fix it before Aberdeen Commonwealth (I think Belgian Marine is already on the way.

I hadn't realised that the Hornby red boxes are now being supplied in a plastic outer bag within a robust cardboard outer (and then shipped in another cardboard box with padding by Hattons).  

Sam

35024 1.jpeg

35025 box.jpeg

I hope you don't mind Hastings Thumper, I put your picture through Picasa photo editor and made it a bit clearer, on my screen anyway.

What a super model!

35024_Image12abcdef.jpg.ae1993bfe88364ea9ddf069c52221ce7.jpg

I see that the dreaded front lamp brackets look close to vertical on yours, overall such a fine model! I must be sure that when I try to tweak mine forwards I take great care and chose a warm room.  Otherwise there will be a route disc installation! :)

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 5

On 18/03/2021 at 10:19, Derails Models said:

• On a very small number of models the chassis keeper plate was very slightly loose, nothing to write home about, just a small screwdriver required to tighten the screws.

Mine seems like it may have been one of these. I put it on the track and tried easing it forwards and got a tight spot at low speed/thump once properly on the move at the same point in each wheel rotation (but not when reversing, strangely). Turning it over and jiggling each driving wheelset, it was apparent that the rear left wheel could move up and down while the right couldn't, which suggested that the brass bush for that side of the axle had slid out of position along the axle. After removing the keeper plate to check this proved to be the case, and with the bush dropped back into its slot and the plate back on it now seems OK -  running in is now in progress.

This minor issue does my already low opinion of Hornby quality control no favours, but as a quick and easy fix with a fairly obvious cause and minimal risk involved it does at least mean I don't have to trouble Dan for a return. Any more significant issue would have seen it going back though. Remember folks, these things have a warranty for a reason, and by returning an unsatisfactory loco you increase the likelihood that issues will be reported back to the manufacturer, hopefully improving things for the next model.

• Agree 1

My R3632 35024 is due to arrive tomorrow from Derails. I was one of the lucky 8 that responded in time to their newsletter notifying that they had a few available. So I thought I would look around for an R8115 TTS sound decoder, I only thought about this after I had placed my order, as Derails did have some in stock.

However, this morning I found that Colletts Models are doing the R8115 for an incredible £24.99, so I’ve just ordered, along with an R8121 Class 66 decoder for the same price. The lowest prices I have ever seen for TTS decoders.

I suspect, now that the second coming of the Merchant Navy is upon us, these R8115s will vanish pretty quickly. In my opinion the whistles are the best feature of this sound chip, the chuffs are a bit suspect...but for  the money and with a speaker upgrade....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, robmcg said:

I hope you don't mind Hastings Thumper, I put your picture through Picasa photo editor and made it a bit clearer, on my screen anyway.

What a super model!

35024_Image12abcdef.jpg.ae1993bfe88364ea9ddf069c52221ce7.jpg

I see that the dreaded front lamp brackets look close to vertical on yours, overall such a fine model! I must be sure that when I try to tweak mine forwards I take great care and chose a warm room.  Otherwise there will be a route disc installation! :)

Thanks Rob - that’s a great improvement

I received mine yesterday and was put to the test today. Excellent model, run in on the rollers and then load tested to 8 MK1's. It struggled a bit so I took 1 off and ran fine. I then added mt 5 GNR 4 wheelers to the back to add a teeny bit more weight though only minimal. Ran fine without any slip. BUT beware of the NEM pockets on the tender, make sure its fully pushed in. After a few laps of the layout, all of a sudden the loco broke free and before I could stop it, it ran into the back of the 4 wheelers, with the NEM still attached to the lead coach.  Luckily there was no damage to loco or coach, but you have been warned. Or maybe i was just unlucky.

RAIB have been informed ;) 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Just seen on facebook that these are now in stock at rails of sheffield.

R3632 BR East Asiatic Company Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive 35024 (OO Gauge) by Hornby - Rails of Sheffield

Typical... after cancelling my order from the same day of announcement (or very close!!)

• Friendly/supportive 1

Rails cancelled the order I made for R3632 East Asiatic Company  in 2018 and I reordered from my local model shop. I reminded my local model shop five days ago and I have heard nothing from them.

I don't know what to do now. I could just wait until my local shop informs me that it has received the model or cancel my order and buy it from someone who has the model in stock before they sell them all and I have to wait another three years for Hornby to make another blue Merchant Navy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

R3632 BR East Asiatic Company Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive 35024 (OO Gauge) by Hornby - Rails of Sheffield

How strange !

I was under the impression Rails were not stocking Hornby anymore save unsold stock.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Available now on their website at £179. 

6 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Rails cancelled the order I made for R3632 East Asiatic Company  in 2018 and I reordered from my local model shop. I reminded my local model shop five days ago and I have heard nothing from them.

I don't know what to do now. I could just wait until my local shop informs me that it has received the model or cancel my order and buy it from someone who has the model in stock before they sell them all and I have to wait another three years for Hornby to make another blue Merchant Navy.

I think Little Dan at Derails is expecting a few more R3632's this week as per his website.

I've just checked and this loco is available to order at £161.99.

Delivery within the next 5-7 days !

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

It would appear that supplies of this are not quite as sparse as has been thought so play the field and buy at the first available opportunity at a “reasonable “ price. Could be that blue MN are not as desirable to our friends in the North of course....:mosking:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have checked Rails' website and they are selling East Asiatic Company for £179.79.  

As I have been one of Rails' customers for a long time and they cancelled my order that I made on 13 April 2018 for £141.50 I have asked Rails for an explanation.

Meanwhile the Swanage Station Shop has told me that I will receive the model as soon as it is available.

I would be surprised if demand exceeds supply because the Graham Farish blue N gauge Merchant Navy did not sell well and the prototype had to high an axle loading to run on many Southern model railway layouts and it was only blue for a limited period.