Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

You will be pleased to see that my blue East Asiatic Company arrived at the Swanage Railway shop yesterday and is now on display with my other Merchant Navy locomotives in various colours and with red or black nameplates. From top right to left:

21C 3 Royal Mail

35022 Holland America Line

35023 Holland Afrika Line

35024 East Asiatic Company

35027 Port Line. As soon as I had renumbered and renamed Clan Line Hornby brought out:

35027 Port Line

35028 Clan Line

P1000910.JPG

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

You will be pleased to see that my blue East Asiatic Company arrived at the Swanage Railway shop yesterday and is now on display with my other Merchant Navy locomotives in various colours and with red or black nameplates. From top right to left:

21C 3 Royal Mail

35022 Holland America Line

35023 Holland Afrika Line

35024 East Asiatic Company

35027 Port Line. As soon as I had renumbered and renamed Clan Line Hornby brought out:

35027 Port Line

35028 Clan Line

P1000910.JPG

You obviously need some more M/N's to fill those empty spaces on your shelves Robin.

You can't have too many Merchant Navies, well at least that's what I keep telling the wife lol !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Another photo of my carefully-exhumed-from-storage  21C3 'Royal Mail' , really as much an excuse to test depth-of-field with my new camera as to enjoy the superb model.

21C3_MN_bulleid_portrait14_1acde_r2080.jpg.b19c9d447417112a1db5d5af1fb87c65.jpg

Of course I will covert this to 21C7 in black just for fun, with the computer, not a paintbrush. I have touched the front lights with black, and buffer centres, but it's otherwise pretty much as the model looks. Which as great. :)

I wonder when or if these engines got three sanding flap doors along the sides?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And so, do we now await with baited breath for the release of an unrebuilt First Series (35001-10) model in the most attractive guise (early 50’s ish) of modified cab, full size smoke deflectors whilst retaining the inward curve of the casing ahead of the cylinders.

Whilst Hornby are going strong on their MN “roll”, might we have some rebuilt tenders available separately to expand the variety. Four tenders, rebuilt (some say “cut down”) ran with unmodified locos and a fifth, No 3343 was rebuilt as a coal/self-weighing tender in 1952 in which state it ran until the end of 1961. This latter example might be an extremely interesting addition to the stud. 

It was rebodied in early ‘62, the sole example of a 6000 gallon tender to be so treated and so had the distinctive level tops to the sides with no step down to the rear behind the bunker. There! That’s even another example for us.

Only 30 engines in the class, but what a myriad of examples to work with; tenders, cab profile, front casing, repositioned safety valves, single chimney, smoke deflector lengths, tender vacuum chamber positions ..... it just goes on, even after rebuilding!

Edited by Right Away
correction
  • Like 4

I managed to obtain a used example of Channel Packet minus the drain cocks and the brake rigging was broken but a superb example.I bought it with the intention of 3 railing it to run on my Dublo 3 rail layout using a Marklin skate.I now have a superbly running model,so much so tat i have preorderd the wartime black model from Hornby hobbies.

Ray.

20210417_165054.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, sandwich station said:

I was never a real fan of the MN's not until I saw these models. :) 

I am the opposite to you: I have long been a fan of Merchant Navy locos, especially in original form. The Hornby models have been the icing on the cake, even in the earlier rebuilt model form. I would dearly love to get the current BR blue 'East Asiatic Company', but having just done a quick inventory of my existing MN models, I really cannot justify another £162-odd.

What I have:
21C3    MN "Royal Mail" 4-6-2 SR green
35005    Rebuilt MN "Canadian Pacific" 4-6-2 BR blue late crest
35015    Rebuilt MN "Rotterdam Lloyd" 4-6-2 BR green late crest
35021    Rebuilt MN "New Zealand Line" 4-6-2 BR green
35023    MN "Holland Afrika Line" 4-6-2 BR green early crest
35023    Rebuilt MN "Holland Afrika Line" 4-6-2 BR green
35024    Rebuilt MN "East Asiatic Company" 4-6-2 BR green
35027    Rebuilt MN "Port Line" 4-6-2 BR green
35028    Rebuilt MN "Clan Line" 4-6-2 BR green
35029    MN "Ellerman Lines" 4-6-2 BR green early crest

Plus a converted pair of Airfix kits hacked into one MN on a Hornby Dublo/Wrenn chassis as 35015 'Rotterdam Lloyd', a nearly finished unrebuilt example from Golden Arrow Productions on a Hornby chassis, and an unfinished Millholme (unrebuilt) kit mounted on a modified Hornby chassis from a rebuilt example. There's another Millholme kit, unbuilt, for the earlier series 21C3 to 21C10.

Do I need another? :scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:

Blue MN on turntable.jpg

P_20181226_132815_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20181226_132935_vHDR_On.jpg

Edited by SRman
Fixing typos.
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, SRman said:

I am the opposite to you: I have long been a fan of Merchant Navy locos, especially in original form. The Hornby models have been the icing on the cake, even in the earlier rebuilt model form. I would dearly love to get the current BR blue 'East Asiatic Company', but having just done a quick inventry of my existing MN models, I really cannot justify another £162-odd.

What I have:
21C3    MN "Royal Mail" 4-6-2 SR green
35005    Rebuilt MN "Canadian Pacific" 4-6-2 BR blue late crest
35012    Rebuilt MN "Rotterdam Lloyd" 4-6-2 BR green late crest
35021    Rebuilt MN "New Zealand Line" 4-6-2 BR green
35023    MN "Holland Afrika Line" 4-6-2 BR green early crest
35023    Rebuilt MN "Holland Afrika Line" 4-6-2 BR green
35024    Rebuilt MN "East Asiatic Company" 4-6-2 BR green
35027    Rebuilt MN "Port Line" 4-6-2 BR green
35028    Rebuilt MN "Clan Line" 4-6-2 BR green
35029    MN "Ellerman Lines" 4-6-2 BR green early crest

Plus a converted pair of Airfix kits hacked into one MN on a Hornby Dublo/Wrenn chassis as 35012 'Rotterdam Lloyd', a nearly finished unrebuilt example from Golden Arrow Productions on a Hornby chassis, and an unfinished Millholme (unrebuilt) kit mounted on a modified Hornby chassis from a rebuilt example. There's another Millholme kit, unbuilt, for the earlier series 21C3 to 21C10.

Do I need another? :scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:

Blue MN on turntable.jpg

P_20181226_132815_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20181226_132935_vHDR_On.jpg

It definitely looks like you need one in wartime black!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

I'm like SRman, I am a great fan of Merchant Navy Class. I currently have twenty eight Hornby re-builts, with different tenders (well as close as). I have three of the latest in original format, Channel Packet, Clan Line and EAC. There are a couple of pre-orders in the pipeline. 

I have tried to create the "re-built" collection as being c.1961 - so I tend to buy a loco with the correct smokebox shed plate for where it was shedded in 1961, before being given the appropriate name and number. Hornby have never produced a "rebuilt" with a Salisbury shed code. The collection will probably increase to thirty one - I need a green Canadian Pacific. All of the collection were bought new from when they were introduced in 2000 to date - I do not expect Hornby to introduce any more rebuilts? I was fortunate to work a five minute walk from ModelZones flagship shop in High Holborn - they had some tremendous sales over the years.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
amendment
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I'm like SRman, I am a great fan of Merchant Navy Class. I currently have twenty eight Hornby re-builts, with different tenders (well as close as). I have three of the latest in original format, Channel Packet, Clan Line and EAC. There are a couple of pre-orders in the pipeline. 

I have tried to create the "re-built" collection as being c.1961 - so I tend to buy a loco with the correct smokebox shed plate for where it was shedded in 1961, before being given the appropriate name and number. Hornby have never produced a "rebuilt" with a Salisbury shed code. The collection will probably increase to thirty one - I need a green Canadian Pacific. All of the collection were bought new from when they were introduced in 2000 to date - I do not expect Hornby to introduce any more rebuilts? I was fortunate to work a five minute walk from ModelZones flagship shop in High Holborn - they had some tremendous sales over the years.

I know what you mean about Canadian Pacific. I have the BR express blue rebuilt one, which looks superb (IMO), but is not really prototypical. 

As you may have noted from the list in my earlier post, I have a little duplication between original and rebuilt forms too, so just showing the same locomotive at different stages of its life. At one stage I ended up with three Clan Lines: two Hornby rebuilts, and the nearly completed Millholme model (it was completed but never ran well, so is being re-engineered to take a spare Hornby chassis). I renamed and renumbered one of the Hornby ones. I also forgot to mention an old K's rebuilt that I have as Port Line - that sits on an early Hornby Flying Scotsman chassis with X04 motor and Kemilway etched brass overlays on the wheels. It was never a brilliant runner, but was still better than the Millholme one in that regard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm picking examples that weren't rebuilt until 1959 to (as far as possible) avoid any anachronisms when they end up next to my rebuilt locos, and of course steering clear of those in rebuilt form.

So far, that will mean Ellerman Lines only. I didn't go for Clan Line because it only migrated from Stewarts Lane to Nine Elms a fortnight before Ellerman Lines entered works for rebuilding. I'm walking a fairly tight line here!

I have a spare cut-down 5100g tender body, and if (as I hope) the green on Ellerman Lines is a good match, I'll be getting another to make General Steam Navigation with a little adjustment to paint and lining in the cab area. 

My rebuilt Ellerman Lines is set to become East Asiatic Company, with the coal-weighing tender (for which I've acquired the PDK kit) thereby releasing a cut down 6000g tender body to go with another air-smoothed loco, which will become New Zealand Line. Three may satisfy me, at least until Hornby get round to Peninsular & Oriental SN Co. (Limpet board casing and all....), which was the last but one to be rebuilt.

Then I need to find a new identity for my rebuilt New Zealand Line. I have also "liberated" a high-sided 5500g Light Pacific tender body (in Malachite!) that might form the basis of a cut-down 5000g MN tender if it doesn't need so much cutting away that it falls apart! If so, my personal favourite, Aberdeen Commonwealth, becomes a distinct possibility. 

Phew! But hopefully, resulting in a mixed fleet of locos that "fit in" with one another.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, SRman said:

I know what you mean about Canadian Pacific. I have the BR express blue rebuilt one, which looks superb (IMO), but is not really prototypical. 

It is prototypical if you model the year 2000! I took my dad on a railtour from Worcester behind it for his retirement present that year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PrestburyJack said:

It is prototypical if you model the year 2000! I took my dad on a railtour from Worcester behind it for his retirement present that year.

Right colour, wrong tender. Hornby only made one sort at the time, the cut-down 6000g type.

Canadian Pacific has run with a modified 5000g tender (previously paired with 35009 Shaw Savill) since restored.

John  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Just had payment taken for Aberdeen Commonwealth ! Must have arrived at Hornby! 

Indeed, 'In stock' on Hornby website.  I can't wait! :)

Edited by robmcg
removed edited pic