Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, ed 66 plant said:

Have had notification from Kernow that my pre ordered 35029 has been despatched.

I have read thro, all my info. on tenders but cannot find dates for the stacking of the 3 vacuum cylinders on Series 2 , 5100 G tenders. I note they were stacked on seies 1 tenders as well.

Does anybody know?

regards,Ed

My 35029, despatched by KMRC yesterday, arrived this morning, and I like it a lot.

However, Hornby seem to have modelled it as running between 1952 (when it got the 5100g tender) and it received a boiler with re-sited safety valves before rebuilding. I think/hope I've got or ordered any bits necessary to move her on to 1959.

I'm open to correction but, AIUI, the stacked arrangement was necessary to accommodate the installation of TIA water treatment equipment (which used the large rectangular tank on top of the tender as portrayed on the model. When that was superseded by the BR Briquette system, which only required a hatch, the flat arrangement could be restored, but I've not managed to find 35029's dates for any of that!  A possible inference is that the stacked arrangement persisted until the tender was cut down on rebuilding. I'm therefore leaving mine alone until and unless i can confirm it is wrong for the spring of 1959. 

John

EDIT: Photo in Derry dated Oct.1956 shows the tanks were still stacked at that time.

EDIT 2: On re reading the early part of this post, I was clearly still half asleep when I typed it as it made no sense. Have completely revised paragraph 2!

Edited by Dunsignalling
Confusion
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit of further detective work on 35029's tender:

Tender 3129 was previously paired with 35018 British India Line which was outshopped with a new steel firebox in July 1951. Most references state that the fitting of TIA water treatment accompanied firebox renewal, so it should have already been in place when the tender was transferred to 35029 the following year.

When 5100g tenders got cut down, the air tanks were moved in-line with one another and to the centre, behind the bunker, with a cover added. That also partially concealed the TIA tank, which was moved to a fore-and-aft orientation.

Unfortunately 35029's works records in Derry only begin in 1950, with no specific mention of the TIA equipment being replaced with the BR system. That programme had commenced in either 1955 or '56 but there are photos showing TIA tanks still in place on tenders running with rebuilt locos. Did the timing of the change depend on where the loco was based, I wonder?

The limitations in the published info mean I shall be treating Hornby's portrayal of tender 3129 as correct to the rebuilding date unless I (or any of you) can find evidence to the contrary.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

I think Hornby have modelled 35029 to reflect removal of valence ahead of cyls.(post July 1952),

resiting of safety valves (Dec 1954), 5100 G tender (July 1952), shed 70A (June 1955), and before plain c. rods fitted ((Aug 1956)--the latter being barely noticeable?

Also reflects BR Green livery (June 1952) and first emblem (to rebuild Sept 1959).

Having trawled thro, more books have found 35029 as per colour photo at Victoria  in 1956 with a black background nameplate--Maybe unusual at Victoria given it was moved to 70A  IN 1955??

It also maybe reflects the stacked  tender cyls but not certain because the pic is focused on the loco.(R J Harvey M.N. Class p.81). Also in Bulleid Pacifics at Work, Col . Rogers ,p41 there is a pic . of 35029 at Brighton shed,31-10-1955 awaiting a Works visit, Again this seems to show a black backed nameplate from the black/white pic.and it seems to tie in with the previous comment ref the pic at Victoria?

Were 70A locos sometimes borrowed by 73A?

Interesting certainly for me --no substitute for the reality but you may then compromise as you think fit .

Have fitted a TCS DP2X-UK decoder to my purchase as this was the only spare available---it runs very well indeed.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of quick comments re. my 35029, Ellerman Lines.

I note that Hornby no longer supply a pair of alternative (flanged) pony wheels. I had a spare pair of WC tender wheels to hand, so have fitted them ahead of its first outing to Bournemouth Central on Sunday. Had I not, I'd have swapped the "rollers" with the middle set from 29's own tender.

The trailing truck design is entirely different to that on the rebuilt WC and there is absolutely no possibility of creating any form of swivel on this one.

The green looks reasonably OK to me. It's not exactly the same as that on my spare cut-down tender body but might be close enough under a bit of weathering. Still deliberating whether to buy a second one for my proposed conversion to 35011.

NEM pocket on the tender is set well forward and even a #20 Kadee looks a bit short for the job. I may have some surgery to conduct and a #141 to fit depending on how Sunday's testing goes.

John

6 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Nice, I wonder if a merchant with the short deflectors or the extra long ones will appear down the line. 

Possibly waiting for Bibby Line in BR blue.

Ray.

14 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

A couple of quick comments re. my 35029, Ellerman Lines.

I note that Hornby no longer supply a pair of alternative (flanged) pony wheels. I had a spare pair of WC tender wheels to hand, so have fitted them ahead of its first outing to Bournemouth Central on Sunday. Had I not, I'd have swapped the "rollers" with the middle set from 29's own tender.

The trailing truck design is entirely different to that on the rebuilt WC and there is absolutely no possibility of creating any form of swivel on this one.

John

Can it get around R4 like that ?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, maico said:

Can it get around R4 like that ?

No, minimum 3ft. assuming it behaves the same as my rebuilt West Countries.

I suspect Hornby have concluded that few of the flanged pairs they formerly supplied with those ever got used.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

So perhaps R9.

I wonder if someone with better engineering skills than me could cut horizontally and remove the whole of the rear truck section? A pivot point could then be fabricated into the metal chassis.

(video frame sam's trains)

Screenshot_2021-04-09 Stunning New Hornby Merchant Navy Class Unboxing Review - YouTube(3).png

Screenshot_2021-04-09 Stunning New Hornby Merchant Navy Class Unboxing Review - YouTube(2).png

Edited by maico

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

No, minimum 3ft. assuming it behaves the same as my rebuilt West Countries.

I suspect Hornby have concluded that few of the flanged pairs they formerly supplied with those ever got used.

John

The flanged wheel sets have not been included with any of the original Merchant Navys

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’m surprised that Dunsignalling managed to fit flanged wheels. I tried and concluded that the solid chassis prevented it.

You just undo the screw on the bottom and the bottom cover lifts off giving access to whip one set out and drop the other one in.

See Maico's picture above.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

15 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

You just undo the screw on the bottom and the bottom cover lifts off giving access to whip one set out and drop the other one in.

See Maico's picture above.

John

Yes but when I did that, the chassis fouled the flanges. At least, I think so; cold I have mixed the Merchant Navy and the Thompson A2? Oh dear, senility*. :O

*Which first struck when I was 20.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Yes but when I did that, the chassis fouled the flanges. At least, I think so; cold I have mixed the Merchant Navy and the Thompson A2? Oh dear, senility*. :O

*Which first struck when I was 20.

The flanges, or the centre of the wheels? I had to trim a bit of plastic off round the axle, but thought that was probably just because I was using a tender wheelset.

John

Here's the trailing truck from the General Steam Navigation 21c11 Locomotive Restoration Society (GSNLRS)
It's the same fabricated type rather than the earlier cast one.

120702783_675409199750402_2622013428900454124_n.jpg

Edited by maico

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, maico said:

Here's the trailing truck from the General Steam Navigation 21c11 Locomotive Restoration Society (GSNLRS)
It's the same fabricated type rather than the earlier cast one.

120702783_675409199750402_2622013428900454124_n.jpg

It's actually my photo, the truck is not complete in that image as its not fitted with its spring beam, springs and covers, that have have already been manufactured.
The Truck is unique amongst preserved Merchant Navys as all the others have the original cast one. The trailing truck is the subject of a current funding campaign to enable external contractors to undertake  full renovation to main line running standards.

See here for details on how you can get involved https://35011gsn.co.uk/funding-campaigns/trailing-truck-club.html or join the Society here https://35011gsn.co.uk/membership.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Really impressed with this pair. Both turned up today (thanks Kernow team).

A initial panic with 21C7 when it just sat still and buzzed when power was first applied - no drive whatsoever. Luckily I spotted a short universal coupling loose in the ice cube tray. With the body off, it was clear that it belonged between the flywheel and worm drive and was easily fitted back into place, and 21C7 is now smooth as silk. It must have worked loose in transit or maybe wasn't quite ciipped in properly when first assembled.

Just 35017 to turn up now ..........

21C7 2 R.JPG

21C7 35022 1 R.JPG

21C7 35022 2 R.JPG

35022 R.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, mattingleycustom said:

Hornby's R3861 No.35017 Belgian Marine arrived this morning.

On the test track the motor turns freely in both directions, but the wheels don't ... oh dear, has anyone else had a similar problem?

Glenn

The post above yours had the same symptom, drive coupling was loose in box. 

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, mattingleycustom said:

Hornby's R3861 No.35017 Belgian Marine arrived this morning.

On the test track the motor turns freely in both directions, but the wheels don't ... oh dear, has anyone else had a similar problem?

Glenn

My 35017 also arrived this morning, but so far seems ok on its first few running-in circuits. 

Sorry to hear about yours - hope it's something you can easily rectify... 

• RMweb Gold

The tender of my 35029 wouldn't sit on the track properly because the coupling bar was kinked. Straightened out and now fine. The bar will get replaced as it has the usual choice of spacing, suited to No.2 radius or the display cabinet, so I shall make a new one to give a separation half way between the two.

Despite being very careful, I've already managed to dislodge the brake gear off one side of the loco, so I'll be drilling it all 0.3mm and reinforcing the attachments with wire.   

Loco runs superbly on my rolling road and the over-run generated by the flywheel is impressive; layout testing tomorrow. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Number of flywheels!
  • Like 1