Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

2 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

On further examination my 35017 has exactly the same problem: drive coupling loose in the box, easily sorted.

Glenn

We had Ellerman Lines returned with a similar problem except it would appear the shaft had never been fitted as it wasn’t in the box or in the body when I removed it. Hopefully one is in the post from Hornby.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

WIP changing the front end and deflectors on my 21c7 to forward date her to 1947. 
357DBA71-6BDA-451F-8189-9924058D0E00.jpeg.2e008b1a53166848d823d4161aff4ea4.jpeg

Hi Graham, looking forward to seeing this, do you thing Hornby will ever bring this version out or worth doing the same if I'm after this version? 

I'd be looking to make 35002 Union Castle painted blue as didn't have cab modified till 1954.

thanks

Geoff

Apologies all, I have what sounds like a very similar problem to what’s described above (buzzing, presumably of the flywheel, when power applied but no movement) but dont seem to have any parts loose in the box and am not the most technically proficient. 

Would anyone be able to post a photo of the drive coupling/what I should be looking for? I don’t want to return the loco when its something that I could handle easily myself! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SRyan said:

Apologies all, I have what sounds like a very similar problem to what’s described above (buzzing, presumably of the flywheel, when power applied but no movement) but dont seem to have any parts loose in the box and am not the most technically proficient. 

Would anyone be able to post a photo of the drive coupling/what I should be looking for? I don’t want to return the loco when its something that I could handle easily myself! 

This drawing might help. 

D0371682-05AE-46AB-B187-7BA8488D3132.jpeg.d0a6de495a1a521edb82285ec3a725cd.jpeg

The coupling is between the worm and the flywheel. 

• Thanks 1

It just so happens that i have one of mine with the body off in front of me in the process of fitting a Marklin skate to run on my Dublo 3 rail layout.Hope this helps.

Ray

20210522_232954.jpg.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

This drawing might help. 

The motor is the wrong way round in the Hornby diagram....

post-1-0-32220000-1489222105.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

This drawing might help. 

11 hours ago, sagaguy said:

It just so happens that i have one of mine with the body off in front of me in the process of fitting a Marklin skate to run on my Dublo 3 rail layout.Hope this helps.

Ray

20210522_232954.jpg.jpg

Many thanks Graham and Ray, I’m in the process of taking the body off so will have a look and see if anything is out of place/missing

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Only another 199 to complete for that Kernow special commission 1947 batch of 21C7  :lol:

No no no, it’s a Muz limited edition of one with no signed certificate (although my 21c3 Royal Mail might follow…). 

9 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

No no no, it’s a Muz limited edition of one with no signed certificate (although my 21c3 Royal Mail might follow…). 

It's a Warley special and you know it, 199 21c7s on the shelf, 199 21c7s on the shelf, another one done and into a box, 198 21c7s on the shelf.....

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Well spotted…

….all the parts are there, in the right order…but not necessarily in the right orientation… 

Certainly seems to have been a redesign before production for some reason...

wire2.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Back from layout testing 35029.

It ran right round the layout with not a clunk or a wobble without the b-t-b's even being checked, and pulled the typical nine plus a van easily enough that I doubt coupling two trains together would cause it any difficulty.

Despite my having added a flanged wheelset to the fixed pony truck, it had no problem negotiating Streamline medium radius crossovers in either direction.

Running-wise, I can't wait to see a similar mechanism in an upgraded rebuilt (from the first ten, please, Hornby). The twenty years that have elapsed since my first Clan Line (since renamed but still going) and this one really show.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

Rest assured there most definitely was a third rail in 1942 ... or were you extracting the proverbial?!:)

Wykeham (my layout) is a fictitious station somewhere in the Hampshire/Dorset area. The line to Portsmouth was electrified in 1937, but Southampton/Bournemouth was not until 1967. Wykeham is probably more to the west of Portsmouth, even west of Southampton.  I think Rule 1 applies here.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

These drive faults that some are experiencing are very frustrating. Waiting for many months for the arrival of our expected delight only to find out it’s - there’s no point in sugar coating it, a DUD! If it doesn’t work as it should out of the box, then it’s a DUD.

Thankfully, our retailers are very understanding and helpful when dealing with these matters; it’s just as irritating for them, dealing with the returned faulty items. However, unless faulty models ARE returned, rather than being rectified by the purchaser, Hornby (or any other manufacturer) will be unaware of issues such as these and assume incorrectly that all is well with their products. There will be those who might throw scorn at this suggestion, preferring to fix the problem themselves but it should be remembered that there will be those who are unwilling or simply unable to disassemble an extremely delicate new product, an action which itself might cause damage to which there would be no redress. 
Contradicting this, I, have to admit, for as long as I can remember, been one of the fix-it-yourself school, but as my dear wife has remarked “What else would you pay £150-200 for and immediately start taking it to bits because it doesn’t work?” And she’s right, I wouldn’t.

By the very nature of our hobby we should expect to be confronted with failures from time to time and just as they can be annoying, it can be very satisfying once they’re sorted. But sorting out poor manufacturing practices shouldn’t be in our remit.

Suggestion:

For those who do prefer to effect a solution on a faulty new model, a feedback slip might be included with each model on which could be recorded the fault and its remedy and then returned to the retailer/manufacturer. Additionally, an online portal could be made available to record same, both of which would bring attention to the problem and that it had been fixed. This in turn would show the magnitude of a fault and hopefully enable remedial procedures to be implemented.

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just to follow up on my prior posts, after taking the body off, the drive coupling was present and correct and the loco ran perfectly when re-tested (all down to my modelling guile and ability I’m sure!!!)

Aside from the initial issue, I’d echo whats been said before, it’s a fantastic model and Kernow’s service was excellent as per usual.

Feeling very fortunate as a Southern/BR(S) enthusiast with the high quality models that have arrived recently and with many still to come (next round of LN’s, D class, LSWR Road Van, Bulleid 64’ coaches, Maunsell RCO’s/thirds) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Right Away said:

These drive faults that some are experiencing are very frustrating. Waiting for many months for the arrival of our expected delight only to find out it’s - there’s no point in sugar coating it, a DUD! If it doesn’t work as it should out of the box, then it’s a DUD.

Thankfully, our retailers are very understanding and helpful when dealing with these matters; it’s just as irritating for them, dealing with the returned faulty items. However, unless faulty models ARE returned, rather than being rectified by the purchaser, Hornby (or any other manufacturer) will be unaware of issues such as these and assume incorrectly that all is well with their products. There will be those who might throw scorn at this suggestion, preferring to fix the problem themselves but it should be remembered that there will be those who are unwilling or simply unable to disassemble an extremely delicate new product, an action which itself might cause damage to which there would be no redress. 
Contradicting this, I, have to admit, for as long as I can remember, been one of the fix-it-yourself school, but as my dear wife has remarked “What else would you pay £150-200 for and immediately start taking it to bits because it doesn’t work?” And she’s right, I wouldn’t.

By the very nature of our hobby we should expect to be confronted with failures from time to time and just as they can be annoying, it can be very satisfying once they’re sorted. But sorting out poor manufacturing practices shouldn’t be in our remit.

Suggestion:

For those who do prefer to effect a solution on a faulty new model, a feedback slip might be included with each model on which could be recorded the fault and its remedy and then returned to the retailer/manufacturer. Additionally, an online portal could be made available to record same, both of which would bring attention to the problem and that it had been fixed. This in turn would show the magnitude of a fault and hopefully enable remedial procedures to be implemented.

Agreed, BUT, today's reality is that, if one does return a faulty product, an exact replacement may not be available, and if the model in question is particularly desired, and the defect is fixable, that can be the more comfortable option.   

Short supply is a real issue for many. In the case of one or two items that were real "must-haves" for me when the problem was at its height, I pre-ordered from more than one supplier on the basis that if I got two, I'd have no difficulty moving the spare one on, possibly even at a profit. Not lately, but there are (as yet unannounced) items that I'd want badly enough to start doing it again.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

An interesting topic--the speed of model trains.

Personally I  think that you need to take account of the model track layout with its much sharper curves and relatively short straight sections--if not it lurches all over the place and passes by at seemingly unrealistic pace,Sorry for adding to the digression.

Opened my one up and it's a neat design well constructed. The front bogie is metal and tracks well and the fixed rear truck is also metal. The conrods are sturdily attached to metal.

The model coasts when cutting power which is a nice characteristic.

The cab is the best I've seen, you can read the dials with a loupe even the smallest ones!

The paintwork is good but matte, I prefer a satin sheen. Spraying with a clear coat might sort that.

When the prototype has a trailing rear-truck Hornby should model it like that IMHO.

Overall a very good model

_DSC1266.JPG

_DSC1274.JPG

_DSC1272.JPG

Edited by maico
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, maico said:

The model coasts when cutting power which is a nice characteristic.

That massive flywheel and motor are certainly a wicked combination!

Here's one i've been working on for a friend. I really hope Hornby end up producing some from the 2nd/3rd batch in post war - pre BR malachite, because this thing is lovely!

51204808882_4d4d5f3b0c_h.jpg

51205742803_8d4d5fc5e7_h.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

These are beautiful models,this my East Asiatic Company running on my vintage Hornby Dublo layout.

Ray.

• Like 6