Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

Ideally I would like to source a new tender wheel holder which I damaged slightly when fitting DCC-TTS for my East Asiatic Lines

I have looked on the Hornby website and the service sheet is number 428 with the latest issue being April 2017.

This shows the items as part number X9198.

However when searching for this part number I get returns for A4 Live steam tender wheels! On investigation I found service sheet number 274 latest issue September 2004 does indeed show X9198 as tender wheels

One would have thought all part numbers ought to be unique to avoid confusion!

Not sure if I can get the part I want?

6 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

Ideally I would like to source a new tender wheel holder which I damaged slightly when fitting DCC-TTS for my East Asiatic Lines

I have looked on the Hornby website and the service sheet is number 428 with the latest issue being April 2017.

This shows the items as part number X9198.

However when searching for this part number I get returns for A4 Live steam tender wheels! On investigation I found service sheet number 274 latest issue September 2004 does indeed show X9198 as tender wheels

One would have thought all part numbers ought to be unique to avoid confusion!

Not sure if I can get the part I want?

Yes,i`ve been looking on there for a Channel Packet accessory pack,i have the number but wading through Hornbys website is like wading through treacle.

2 minutes ago, sagaguy said:

Yes,i`ve been looking on there for a Channel Packet accessory pack,i have the number but wading through Hornbys website is like wading through treacle.

2 minutes ago, sagaguy said:

Have you tried Lendons of Cardiff or Peters Spares?

If these model shops don't have them they probably aren't available.

Worth a try !

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, sagaguy said:

Beautiful models but breathe on the brake pull rods and they break off!.

Ray.

I lost one side from my Ellerman Lines the first time it went on the layout, but it came off in one piece and I'll try to drill/pin/glue it back on.

Longer term, I expect to fit a set of brass replacements from RT Models.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2021 at 17:26, Graham_Muz said:

WIP changing the front end and deflectors on my 21c7 to forward date her to 1947. 
357DBA71-6BDA-451F-8189-9924058D0E00.jpeg.2e008b1a53166848d823d4161aff4ea4.jpeg

a question in another thread has prompted a quick snap to show progress… 

CD811620-D5F4-45F8-AF2A-351C653DE678.jpeg.6a2b555f08633e35c6a7a39080c22ac1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

7 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

a question in another thread has prompted a quick snap to show progress… 

CD811620-D5F4-45F8-AF2A-351C653DE678.jpeg.6a2b555f08633e35c6a7a39080c22ac1.jpeg

That’s just what I’ve been waiting for 20 years for Hornby, or someone else, to make. I thought when Hornby announced their new range of original ‘Merchant Navy’ locos they would include the first series locos, but no, apart from ‘as built’, which not many living people would remember seeing. Why didn’t Hornby include them? My Milholme kits that I built 30 odd years ago will have to last me for a few more years yet!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I cannot understand this. I was surfing a well known Hornby Retailer's website after I got a mailshot from them and I found that they were selling the two latest Green unrebuilt Merchant Navy class locos for £40 below recommended retail ( "Ellerman Lines" and "Holland America LIne"). What is going on, it wasn't Amazon?

I’ve also seen a few places selling them for £150. Not sure if it’s two fingers up at Hornby for all the recent goings-on, or something else, but it’s odd either way.

I’m back at home for the first time in a good long while, so will be going to get mine in person from the Cornish outpost in Guildford at the end of the week. £161 and able to see the model at the point of purchase is good enough for me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I paid £139.95 for the Holland America Line, it arrived this morning and is perfect

That is a good price point.

The lowest I've seen these models (Not R3861 Belgian Marine) is £152.99 postage included.

Incidentally, did the price you paid include p+p?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oops my razor saw might have slipped again…
… forward dating an @Hornby 21c3 Royal Mail 

https://southern-railway.com/2021/06/05/workbench-witterings-10-forward-dating-Hornby-bulleid-merchant-navy-21c7-to-1947-condition/?amp

21c3_11.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Some magazine reviews suggest the lower three headlamps can be easily “tweaked” into the correct position.

Has anyone had any success with this?

Also, it would appear that No 35017 has the Stones steam generator visible beneath the cab, whereas strictly it was on the last 10 engines (Series 3) that this equipment was fitted in the lowered position and thus became visible. Possibly, just a simple task to remove if desired.

Edited by Right Away

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Right Away said:

Some magazine reviews suggest the lower three headlamps can be easily “tweaked” into the correct position.

Has anyone had any success with this?

Also, it would appear that No 35017 has the Stones steam generator visible beneath the cab, whereas strictly it was on the last 10 engines (Series 3) that this equipment was fitted in the lowered position and thus became visible. Possibly, just a simple task to remove if desired.

I put a credit card behind the lamp irons and gently prized them forwards.

it seems to have done the trick.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks abd968008; that would probably be as far as I’d want to risk “tweaking” things.

Ideally, removing those entire headlamps in order to place them correctly would be the answer but being uncertain if they would just pop out (like many separately fitted details annoyingly do - but shouldn’t), it might be best to leave them alone for the time being. These are relatively small items, on what is a very striking locomotive front, but any irregularity becomes most prominent. 

Many have expressed surprise that this issue had not been picked up on pre-production samples. A superbly accurate model in mostly every other respect, yet something so glaringly obvious passes scrutiny....  

Edited by Right Away
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Progress on forward dating my @Hornby 21c3 Royal Mail to 1947 condition.
Cowl fitted and painted, new lamp irons, smokebox dart and etched round fitted. 
Etched deflectors  painted and lined now awaiting a coat of varnish before final fitting. 573C249B-AA66-488E-AE6F-98A0A9CECE59.jpeg.ee2cefb7909ee60291491aa98b13f7c4.jpeg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I bought the blue 'East Asiatic Company' from Amanda Jane (AJM), and it arrived on Friday last. It looks superb.

I have been working on the resin MN from Golden Arrow Productions and that is nearing completion. Something about the cab didn't look quite right, and I worked out when sitting besdie the Hornby model that the cab side windows appear to be a little too deep, reducing the sheet metal of the lower cab sides slightly. I intend to add some plastic micro strip to improve the appearance a bit. Here is the GAP product, soon to be named 'British India Line', on a modified Hornby rebuilt MN chassis, side by side with the new Hornby product.

Amusingly, I have duplicates of several MNs, with a sort of 'before and after' theme, so, for example, 'East Asiatic Company' exists in my collection twice, as here in blue and as rebuilt, in BR green.

IMG20210625121620.jpg

IMG20210625121551.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, SRman said:

I bought the blue 'East Asiatic Company' from Amanda Jane (AJM), and it arrived on Friday last. It looks superb.

I have been working on the resin MN from Golden Arrow Productions and that is nearing completion. Something about the cab didn't look quite right, and I worked out when sitting besdie the Hornby model that the cab side windows appear to be a little too deep, reducing the sheet metal of the lower cab sides slightly. I intend to add some plastic micro strip to improve the appearance a bit. Here is the GAP product, soon to be named 'British India Line', on a modified Hornby rebuilt MN chassis, side by side with the new Hornby product.

Amusingly, I have duplicates of several MNs, with a sort of 'before and after' theme, so, for example, 'East Asiatic Company' exists in my collection twice, as here in blue and as rebuilt, in BR green.

IMG20210625121620.jpg

IMG20210625121551.jpg

Looking really good; “British India Line” even having 6000 gal tender No 3346 attached, as fitted from October ‘52 (following the brief stint with the coal weighing example, No 3343, which had been converted earlier that year.)

Edited by Right Away
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Right Away said:

Looking really good; “British India Line” even having 6000 gal tender No 3346 attached, as fitted from October ‘52 (following the brief stint with the coal weighing example, No 3343, which had been converted earlier that year.)

Thanks for the compliments. I was very careful with the choice of name/number to go with the 6000 gal tender. I consulted the Locomotive Profile book which lists all of the tender swaps for each locomotive - I wanted it in roughly 1954 condition. Tender 3343 certainly got around! :laugh:

p.s. The bent ladder on the tender was due to me putting it down on the table while I patted one of our cats. She promptly turned around and tripped straight over the tender. :jester:

Edited by SRman
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A quick snap of 21c3 Royal Mail Merchant Navy now forward dated to May 1947 condition with newly fitted and freshly painted standard smoke deflectors see here for21c3_10.jpg.23d361b80766256fdb50ebaed2cda0e5.jpg

the process https://southern-railway.com/2021/06/05/workbench-witterings-10-forward-dating-Hornby-bulleid-merchant-navy-21c7-to-1947-condition/?amp 

Edited by Graham_Muz
Photo updated
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Pricey chocolate anyone…

2F854D29-8EE3-4C4E-92AB-8755CD5AE407.jpeg.1c587e61dd7cbe60d72b11fd306152c3.jpegC96358B7-ED25-4A0E-BEE7-CB94DFA0A3B1.jpeg.f2d3820a09dc10a3ddee99f4e87b8f02.jpego

Those look absolutely superb, Graham. As Morcambe always said to Wise, "You can't see the join!" :good:

p.s. Me want!! :man_in_love_mini:

• Thanks 1